Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

What about this one I looked at today? Surely you can't say this doesn't need a rail?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08112035.JPG (110.2 KB, 98 views)

Old 11-21-2008, 03:54 AM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S. Roberson View Post
What about this one I looked at today? Surely you can't say this doesn't need a rail?
Does it comply with local building codes without handrails? Pictures and comments would be included in a report should I encounter the condition you observed in the photograph.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

David.....Safety issue , handrail is required...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 AM

State: North Carolina

Frequently Asked Questions
Valuation Protocol

These FAQs are issued to clarify or illustrate FHA’s appraisal reporting requirements and applicability on
valuation issues.
Content updated January 24, 2007

3. It was stated that handrails and trip hazards are cosmetic. I don't understand! Wouldn’t these items be health and safety issues?
The appraiser must always be mindful of health and safety issues and report what is readily observable. The missing handrails or trip hazards are property conditions that no longer require
automatic repair for existing properties but should be reported by the appraiser. In these instances, lender discretion and prudent underwriting will determine whether or not a repair is advisable. For example, a stairwell or staircase comprised of eight (8) or nine (9) risers without a handrail would probably pose a safety risk.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM

State: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
Regardless what your conscious may want you to do, this is a SCOPE issue. You accepted an FHA assignment. FHA says DO NOT call for repair if there are missing handrails. If you don't like that, don't accept the assignment...
Mention it, thoroughly. Explain how horribly dangerous it is. But DON'T call for mandatory repair.
I disagree. It is a SAFETY issue. I would rather have a DEU scream at me than someone break their neck and sue me. Even FHA wants us to use common sense.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM

State: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S. Roberson View Post
I would require handrails.....and a safety net
Old 11-21-2008, 09:20 AM

I agree...FHA no longer requires handrails and should not be listed a required repair; however, I would include a comment, regarding the missing handrails as a potential safety hazard in the condition section of the report.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I stand by my prior advice.
Michael, Don, Mr. Rex, Craig, and others, I recognize you are doing what you think is correct (and I respect that), but I feel more comfortable doing what FHA tells me is correct:

Regarding code, FHA states in 4150.2:
HUD has neither the authority nor responsibility for enforcing code. This rests with the local municipalities.

Code has nothing to do with minimum FHA requirements. If it did, no house over 1-2 years old would qualify, because code changes so often!

2005-48 clearly states:
Lenders should use professional judgment and rely upon prudent underwriting practices in determining when a property condition poses a threat to the safety of an occupant and/or jeopardizes the soundness and structural integrity of the property, such that additional inspections and/or repairs are necessary.

HUD goes on the state:
... the LENDER must read the report, ascertain if any conditions require repairs or inspection, and require immediate repair or inspection where the property condition poses a threat to the above criteria (safety of the occupants or the security and soundness of the property).

Want to believe it or not, 4150.2 and ML 2005-48 ARE scope requirements. Accept the job, and perform the scope. FHA wants the APPRAISER to do (and be responsible for) certain things, and wants the LENDER to do (and be responsible for) certain things.

Even IF you do call for a legitimate repair, FHA states :

The appraiser is to note those repairs necessary to make the property comply with FHA’s Minimum Property Requirements (MPR) or Minimum Property Standards (MPS) together with the estimated cost to cure. The lender will determine which repairs for existing properties must be made for the property to be eligible for FHA-insured financing.

I think EVERYONE is agreeing that missing handrails should be reported. I think the degree to which it is a safety hazzard should be reported. I even think a recommendation to the lender that repair be required is indicated, BY THE LENDER. However, FHA no longer sees missing hand rails as a condition that the appraiser calls for mandatory repair. I think it is pretty clear from the quotes I have provided that it is up to the LENDER to make the call!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 AM

nito, thats what my post says, and it is from FHA. Appraiser reports it, lender makes the call on whether to call for repair.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM

State: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Clark View Post
I would require handrails.....and a safety net

Closed Thread