Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Quick release on security bars

I looked at a house yesterday with security iron over the bedroom windows that require a key to get open. I thought I read somewhere that this is not acceptable and an MPR item. The 4150-D calls for a "quick release". Is a dead bolt type lock a "quick release"?

Client will have a meltdown if I condition this as a repair. I want to be very sure.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 AM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Fan View Post
I looked at a house yesterday with security iron over the bedroom windows that require a key to get open. I thought I read somewhere that this is not acceptable and an MPR item. The 4150-D calls for a "quick release". Is a dead bolt type lock a "quick release"?

Client will have a meltdown if I condition this as a repair. I want to be very sure.
California state law requires all bedroom windows that have security bars have a "quick release" mechanism. Key will not qualify as a quick release.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 AM

This might come down to a local code issue. This property is located in an area with very lax code enforcement. I will look into the local code thing.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 AM

State: Colorado

I have seen them there the key is hanging right next to the lock and it was accepted by the underwriter.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Yuck, yuck, the borroweer could not even find the key(s) to demonstrate that they worked. I would not want to see a panicked 6 year old trying to find and fit a key in a smoke filled room. I get shivers just thinking about it.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 AM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett, RAA View Post
I have seen them there the key is hanging right next to the lock and it was accepted by the underwriter.

I dont believe that would be acceptable by code here Mike .. in the event of fire fumbling for a key, putting it in the lock, opening it, removing it, may well result in death. I think the building code here is very strict now on quick releases on the BEDROOM windows only (or atleast one bedroom window if I recall correctly). Hitting a button or stepping on one is much faster in the event of fire. A check with the local building department could easily answer this question and I believe Lobo this is a STATE building code and not something local. No matter how lax local officials may be, State Code is State Code.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 AM

State: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Fan View Post
This might come down to a local code issue. This property is located in an area with very lax code enforcement. I will look into the local code thing.
you will get an awful lot of conflicting information. NYC doesn't require them but the FDNY does (on bedroom windows). Go figure. The one consistent I have found over many years is most insurers do require them. Disclose and let the UW make the call.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:17 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

The Quick Release function I have seen has a push mechanism. It releases the lock and opens the bars in a single motion.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:48 PM

The most common one I have seen around here is a turn handle in the interior wall. I guess California requires foot pedals. I often see chains and padlocks installed as well. I am going to condition the report on the removal of the locks. I am also researching for a minimum size for the opening? Any thoughts on that one?
Old 11-22-2008, 04:18 PM

State: Colorado

We can condition the appraisal all we want, once they close on the loan back come the locks anyway.

Closed Thread