Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM

State: Montana
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default condo on a 1004?

Just a quick question, got a client breathing down my neck and a pile of appraisal a mile high ...

I did a condo on a 1073 ~4 weeks ago. Client comes back today and says they need it on a 1004. Will FNMA allow this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM

State: Oregon

You could do it on the 1004c.
Are you sure it's a condo, not a pud. Maybe, you client is telling you, it's not a condo so report it on the 1004.
Why would your client want it on the 1004? They know not what they ask.
With some exceptions, Fannie will not accept a a condo on a 1004.
But, if they're gunna pay you more, then do it.

Last edited by Jerry Bone Jr : 01-17-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Check it out. My post # 1004 is about the 1004. :)
Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Are there CC&Rs? Is there a condo association? How does the deed read?

Im sure Jerry didnt mean for you to do it at the cost of being misleading .. so make sure you dont do that.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM

State: Montana

Thanks for the quick responses!

Yes, it is without doubt a condo, with Condo Decs describing common & lim common elements, a COA, and a deed that spells it all out. Definitely not a PUD.

It is, however, physically constructed like a townhouse (with 1 adjoining unit), as are all the other units in the project. You would not know they were condos by looking at them.

I don't know why she wants it on a 1004 yet.

1004c is for mobs ... how would that work?

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryalan View Post

I don't know why she wants it on a 1004 yet.

Asking that question, and receiving an informed response, is as good a place to start as any.

Barring something highly unusual as to client/intended user requirements (including, but not limited to, a loan not headed to the secondary market), most definitely someone in the chain is misinformed.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM

State: Virginia

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses!

1004c is for mobs ... how would that work?

Thanks again!
A mobile home is persoanl property. Would you by chance be referring to a HUD Code Manufactured Home? A Manufactured Home can be completed on the 1004C if it is a unit in a MH Condominium. Also, there are some condominiums, like one I am doing next week, that is comprised of only 2 units. That's right, the entire cono is just 2 units. In the one I am doing a 1004 may be appropriate as one unit owner is buying the other unit, a Fannia Mae REO property. But, I will do it on a 1073 anyway as it is a condo.

Please note, dor the 3,000th time, a condominium is a FORM OF OWNERSHIP, not an ARCHETCTURAL style. A townhouse is an archetectural style.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM

State: Virginia

Quote:
Just a quick question, got a client breathing down my neck and a pile of appraisal a mile high ...

I did a condo on a 1073 ~4 weeks ago. Client comes back today and says they need it on a 1004. Will FNMA allow this? Thanks!
I checked on allregs and in the 2007 seller guide it does say that the 1004 can be used for detached condominium units. You mentioned your unit shared a common wall with an adjacent unit so I would consider that as attached. I don't think the form they are requesting is appropriate, and it could possibly be misleading to the end reader.

This is from XI, 203: Appraisal and Property Inspection Report Forms (11/01/05) in the 2007 seller guide

Uniform Residential Appraisal Report (Form 1004) for appraisals of one-unit properties and units in planned unit developments (including those that have an illegal second unit or accessory apartment) based on interior and exterior property inspections. Form 1004 also may be used for two-family properties, if each of the units is occupied by one of the co-borrowers as his or her principal residence or if the value of the legal second unit is relatively insignificant in relation to the total value of the property (as might be the case for a basement unit or a unit over a garage). In addition, appraisals for units in condominium projects that consist solely of detached dwellings may be documented on Form 1004, if the appraiser includes an adequate description of the project and information about the owners’ association fees and the quality of the project maintenance.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM

State: California

Doggonit Don. Stop saying that (a mobile home is personal property).

A mobile home (factory built home, permanent steel chassis, built prior to 6/15/76 to a building code other than HUD) is not necessarily personal property. If it is permanently affixed to land held in fee simple than it is real property.

Sorry. Didn't mean to lash out. For some reason this pushes my buttoms..
Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM

State: Washington

Condo is a form of ownership, not construction.

PUD is different from Condo, although in many cases similar in operation due to having an HOA.

If your assignment dwelling is completely and individually owned by the borrower, including the dirt it sits on, it is an attached SFR, which should be reported on the 1004Form. It is possible that the property legal description reads 'condo', however that could be due to the existence of a HOA serving the subdivision to maintain common areas, in which case it's actually a PUD. You need to fully explain these details in the report. HOA dues are collected to maintain the common areas. [We have a number of these projects out here.]

If the dwelling EXTERIOR and the DIRT is owned by the Condo Association per the deed and formation documents, then it is a Condo, reported on the 1073 Form (for an interior inspection). In this case the borrower owns a fractional interest in the exteriors and common areas of the entire project, but entirely owns the interior of the subject dwelling. Association Dues support the maintenance expenses for all common areas, insurances, reserve accounts, etc.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Good answer davo.

Closed Thread