Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default fee for a 1004D appraisal update

What are other appraisers charging for an appraisal update on the 1004D?

I have never had to use this form except for final inspection on a new construction. I will need to travel about 45 miles away to take new pictures of the subject & then pull comps to determine if the market value has gone down since the original appraisal.

Just want to be fair to me & the borrower on this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Most lenders want a very cheap, heavily discounted fee calling the appraisal (that is what it is) an update.

It is in fact a new assignment and a new appraisal on the same property but with new market analysis, new comparables (if they exist) and new effective date.

About the only thing you are saving is the drawing and measuring time.

You also have to re-inspect or make the assumption the interior has not significantly changed since the last time you inspected, which is an EA.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 AM

State: Minnesota

Right & the subject is 45 miles away so I will have to travel for an hour and a half plus time spent in office pulling comps
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 AM

State: California

I would talk them into a new 1004 and give them a discount for not having to remeasure and sketch. The 1004D stinks.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 AM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Carter View Post
Right & the subject is 45 miles away so I will have to travel for an hour and a half plus time spent in office pulling comps
Remember...you will be communicating a Summary Appraisal Report. The 1004D is totally inadequate and you need to supplement the form-- with your analysis of current data.

Clients want the 'form' completed "on-the-cheap-" because--I suspect--most appraisers do nothing more than "X" a box and accept as payment whatever the client offers. You may have to explain a time or two what is required of you in order to complete a credible appraisal (as the client may not understand that what is requested of you is an appraisal).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

You need to set an hourly fee and stick to it. For jobs that cannot easily be quantified before hand, it simply makes it easier. I frequently get inquiries to cost and undoubtably lose work over it. But I will not tell someone it is going to cost $1000 and then find that I have to spend 80 hours on the project. I may estimate the cost but make it plain it depends upon the data and the hidden requests of the client....and private clients often morph their wish list as you go along.

Quote:
The 1004D is totally inadequate and you need to supplement the form-- with your analysis of current data.
as a form, it is inadequate but it is your work file that is important. Within the scope of work, you need only worry about the work file. You are not necessarily providing a "summary" report, rather you are supplementing a previous report and thus need only reference that and the work file. (AO-03)

Last edited by Terrel L. Shields : 01-20-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 AM

State: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Carter View Post
What are other appraisers charging for an appraisal update on the 1004D?

I have never had to use this form except for final inspection on a new construction. I will need to travel about 45 miles away to take new pictures of the subject & then pull comps to determine if the market value has gone down since the original appraisal.

Just want to be fair to me & the borrower on this. Thanks.
$0. I don't do appraisal updates, especially in this market, period. If the client needs a new effective date, they are going to have to order a new appraisal. They will also have to pay a full fee unless the client is a one of my best clients, the property is located no more than 30 minutes from my house, and the property is not a complex or difficult property to appraise. If all of these conditions are met, then the client may receive a small discount if they request a discount.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM

State: South Carolina
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd354 View Post
$0. I don't do appraisal updates, especially in this market, period. If the client needs a new effective date, they are going to have to order a new appraisal. They will also have to pay a full fee unless the client is a one of my best clients, the property is located no more than 30 minutes from my house, and the property is not a complex or difficult property to appraise. If all of these conditions are met, then the client may receive a small discount if they request a discount.
I am with Tim. It isn't really even about the fee, or the other form...it is just calling what you are really doing by its proper name, and considering the end user may not even see your original appraisal report, referencing it may be useless to the reader.

We all have these situations pop up where lender A calls you to appraise a house you just did for lender B three weeks ago.

The main question I ask myself about any fee is this--what would they have to pay someone BESIDES ME to provide this service....then I ask myself why it is that they are contacting me in the first place.

Usually I come up with this answer

1. The other guy will have to charge full fee, as he has to start from the ground up.

2. They are calling me for 3 reasons. 1-They know I already have most of the data at hand, which saves them TIME(time is what?) 2-They assume that since I know that they know that I have done most of the legwork...it won't cost me as much TIME(which is what?) to complete it. And 3--for whatever reason, they want to do business with ME and not the other guy.

Once I go through that line of thinking, I usually charge the other guy's full fee--which is about 75% of what I charge. We both feel like we are getting a good deal, we both make money while saving time, which is a win win.

Every now and then they holler about the fee, but it isn't personal. You can't blame anyone for trying to get a deal. I just politely tell them that when I came up with my pricing structure, I took into account that some properties would end up taking more of my time and resources than others....which is exactly why I don't call back in the middle of an appraisal that turns out to be harder than I anticipated and ask for an increase. On that same token, I can't be expected to lower my fee when things are easier than expected. My fee is the mechanism by which I stay in business.

I know others set their fee based on being lower than people like me, but they may find they are unable to produce a quality appraisal and remain in business at that level.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM

State: Other Non-US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrel L. Shields View Post
<.......snip.......>
as a form, it is inadequate but it is your work file that is important. Within the scope of work, you need only worry about the work file. You are not necessarily providing a "summary" report, rather you are supplementing a previous report and thus need only reference that and the work file. (AO-03)
Mr. Shields,

You're better than what you posted. A 1004d is a "new assignment." It is NOT an extension of a prior real estate appraisal. NO "Update" is an extension of a prior assignment. A 1004d used update reporting MUST comply with Standards Two for a "Summary" report otherwise it is misleading as it is labeled a Summary report.

I refute your post. An "Update" is NOT "supplementing" a prior real estate appraisal report. It is a new assignment, it is a new report. End of story. It has to comply with USPAP.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM

State: Other Non-US

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd354 View Post
Ditto! And plus the fact the 1004d requires so much patching up to get the final report into USPAP compliance that it's not worth the journey. It is easier just to use the same form used before all over again and create a new full shebang report.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread