Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM

State: California
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related
Default HVCC -Payment before inspecting the property?

Is the HVCC saying the appraisal has to be paid at the time of ordering the appraisal? If so, please show me where...
Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

The way I read it the HVCC eliminates COD (paid by the borrower) orders. It states that the lender or the lender's agent is responsible for appraiser compensation. It does not specify when the appraiser is to be paid that I have seen.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 AM

State: New York

Ditto D-Max
Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Max View Post
The way I read it the HVCC eliminates COD (paid by the borrower) orders. It states that the lender or the lender's agent is responsible for appraiser compensation. It does not specify when the appraiser is to be paid that I have seen.
I don't think it will prohibit the appraiser from collecting a check COD at the door paid directly to the "lender." It states that the "broker" can not pay directly the appraiser with a check. This is currently one of the processes that brokers typically do..........................collect a check upfront from the borrower for appraisal and credit report...................then they pay the appraiser from their broker account. Also, there are some loans where the appraiser is paid through the closing on the HUD-1 by the borrower.

What is going to be even more interesting is when the broker is helping pay the borrower's closings costs on a purchase or refinance. On the HUD-1 the appraisal fee will be showing due to the appraiser, but the broker will credit a portion of their origination or YSP to pay the appraisal on behalf of the borrower. Technically, this would be a violation as the appraiser is being paid by the Broker.....................one more unintended consequence the brilliant minds that devised the HVCC didn't think about.

Regardless, the appraiser not being able to collect an appraisal fee check directly paid and written out to the appraiser will be a nightmare cf for the lender. They are going to have to get the borrower to pay up front on every loan or risk eating the appraisal fee. Currently, some lenders have 20 to 40% fallout on loans.

Last edited by ghrousseau : 01-23-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Q13 of FAQ
Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
The lender or any third-party specifically authorized by the lender (including, but not limited to, appraisal management companies and correspondent lenders) shall be responsible for selecting, retaining, and providing for payment of all compensation to the appraiser. The lender will not accept any appraisal report completed by an appraiser selected, retained, or compensated in any manner by any other third-party (including mortgage brokers and real estate agents).
I don't read it that way. I don't remember the thread but this was discussed in one of the HVCC threads sometime near the first of the year. One of the problems with this "agreement" is that there are areas that are open to much interpretation.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 PM

State: Illinois

As I read the revised HVCC, the appraiser will be paid directly by the lender who ordered the appraisal. Borrowers are no longer going to pay COD direct to the appraiser. The intention is for the lender to take responsibility for the appraisal. The lender orders and pays for it.

ghrousseou: My understanding is that, after the HVCC kicks in, brokers will no longer even be part of the equation when it comes to ordering or paying for an appraisal (unless the appraisal does not fall under the HVCC...like FHA or VA).
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 AM

State: New York

HVCC 2009 Q&A

Q13. Does the Code prohibit an appraiser from collecting payment for the appraisal directly from the borrower?
Yes, for loans to be delivered to Fannie Mae. The Code requires the lender or any third party specifically authorized by the lender to select, retain, and provide for all compensation to the appraiser.
************************************************** **************************************
also for further clarification and dissemination to LENDERS >> (not so subtle hint )

Q25. Is a lender required to use an appraisal management company for ordering appraisals?

No.

A lender may order appraisals directly from an individual appraiser.

Last edited by Mike Kennedy : 06-23-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 AM

State: California
Default Hold your breath, the check is in the mail

Considering these fly-by-night AMCs' dreadful penchant for not paying for an appraisal until it is 90 days old (regardless that their websites say 'payment within 7 days'), or until the AMC goes out of business first, why would an appraiser agree to do work for AMCs, get paid 1/4 to 1/3 of their fee, and then perhaps never get paid at all after playing bill-collector for months?! I've rarely done work for AMCs, but have had this happen. I prefer to get paid at the door by the Borrower, or at least within 7 days from the Lender if they are a good credit risk. Those are my rules, otherwise I won't play the game.

This is all exasperating. Not only are we asked to do more work, add another form (1004MC), turn the appraisal report in within a day or two, get paid a pittance, wait for months or forever for our stingy little payment, and be abused by phone monkies to boot! This is not the type of treatment a 'professional appraiser' should accept. Try that with your CPA, your doctor, the hospital nurse, or the airline pilot! No, they are respected for the work they do, require payment, and are expected to do a good job.

It is unfortunate that so many appraisers are rolling over, accepting these measly handouts as a starving beggar hungrily snatches a dry crust of bread. Just as a crust of bread is not adequate for good health, AMCs are equally dangerous to the existence and life of appraisers. A bit of cash flow is not profit, just slows the starvation and numbs the mind.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 AM

State: Florida

Well said Sandra!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:14 AM

State: Georgia

I wonder if the regulator of Fannie Mae is going to be the payer of last resort for those lenders who go out of business before paying the appraiser...

I remember when Homebanc went under,,some local sweat shops took it in the shorts for 50-60K in fees....

I am all COD as of now, so who am I supposed to extend credit to?

Seems like a con game to me...
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread