Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Running an Appraisal Business
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default What's the best camera for appraising?

I think it was an email I got a little while back, that advertised a great camera for appraising, which was water resistant, had a wide angled lense, as well as some other features/qualities very useful for appraisers. But, I forgot what brand and model it was.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what the best appraiser camera is?

Right now, I am using a Canon PowerShot SD870 IS which has a wide angle 28mm equivilant)/zoom lense, image stabilizer, 8 megapixels, 3 inch screen, and a rechargable battery. It turns on extremely fast and works great, but isn't water resistant and the battery is a proprietory Canon battery, so if I run out of juice, I'm screwed.

Any other camera ideas?
Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM

State: Wisconsin

I like my Kodak V705. It has a 23mm equivalent wide angle lens. However, the Kodak isn't a very good "point and shoot" camera. It seems like I always have to take 2 or 3 pictures in order to get one that was focused.

On the other hand, I have owned several Canon "A" series digital cameras and it seemed like I couldn't take an "out of focus" picture. The Canon cameras are awesome for just snapping pictures in auto focus mode as nearly everything turns out great.

If Canon ever decides to make a 23mm equivalent wide angle camera that would fit in my pocket I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I heard that Olympus came out with a new water resistant wide angle, but I haven't checked into it.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 PM

State: Arkansas

Kodak V705.

Just Curious-why Water Resistance?

Its So Small You Can Keep It In A Zip Bag.
Arkie Ed
Old 02-17-2009, 03:16 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have been using a Canon powershot, a cheap one for years. If it gets dropped, who cares, and since I only shoot at 640 x 480(or what ever it is) to keep the files smaller, I don't really care if it has "mega pixels" or not. It does a fine job, fits in a shirt pocket, does fine inside, and a decent zoom for distant shots, and is easy to use. I think most appraisers get more camera for work than they really need.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:15 AM

State: Arizona

I have a Kodak EasyShare C613. Very Durable, stands up to being dropped, etc. Even dropped my last Kodak in a bucket of mop water at a client's house trying to get her back door open and it worked for a year afterwords before finally giving out.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 PM

Default for rainy days

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD BERRY View Post
Kodak V705.

Just Curious-why Water Resistance?

Its So Small You Can Keep It In A Zip Bag.
Arkie Ed
Ed,

For example, on days like yesterday, when I have to do an inspection in the rain. I usually cover the camera with my clipboard to take pics but I think some water still got into it and ruined part of the screen. I don't often find a need for it being water resistant being in SoCal, but it only takes a few drops of water to mess up the camera.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 AM

State: Missouri

Canon does make a camera close to your specifications. It isn't quite 23mm but it is pretty close. I can't recommend Canons enough. I have over 33000 pics on my old SD200, it just keeps on going.

And Nevermind, they sell NB-4L batteries for $5.28 for a three pack at Amazon.com. I think that is cheaper than AA batteries! Invest a little so you don't have to worry about it.

If you are looking for a water resistant camera then your choices are limited. Pentax and Olympus both make them but you make too many trade-offs in my opinion. There is a water tight case that is available for your canon that only costs +/- $25.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM

State: New York

I like the Sony Mavika series. You can use it as chock for your car when your parking brake goes out and as a mace when you inspect sealed and vacant property in the hood. Just kidding but I did used one for close to 10 yrs went through 3 of those bad boys. Now I use my cell phone since my Olympus Stylus which I loved, was stolen. The phone takes great pics who knew.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM

State: Arkansas

Lackland, I still have and use 2 Mavicas. With a close up lens, I can shoot far closer than even my Pentax SLR digital can. And they are tough, large enough to fell a Rottwieler, and frankly I like the size as being able to hold the camera. I noticed that I have very few blurred pictures with these old beasts. I gave away an HP camera because it seemed to blur about every 3rd picture. The lens simply was not fast enough.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM

KC,

Thanks for the info. But, I can't find any watertight cases for $25. All the ones I see are over $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 KC Royals View Post
Canon does make a camera close to your specifications. It isn't quite 23mm but it is pretty close. I can't recommend Canons enough. I have over 33000 pics on my old SD200, it just keeps on going.

And Nevermind, they sell NB-4L batteries for $5.28 for a three pack at Amazon.com. I think that is cheaper than AA batteries! Invest a little so you don't have to worry about it.

If you are looking for a water resistant camera then your choices are limited. Pentax and Olympus both make them but you make too many trade-offs in my opinion. There is a water tight case that is available for your canon that only costs +/- $25.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread