Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default FNMA Refis - the Blind leading the Stupid

Fannie Mae Eases Appraisal Requirements; Too Early to Assess Impact

Starting April 4, Fannie Mae will no longer require appraisals or property inspections from some borrowers who are refinancing mortgages. Instead, Fannie Mae’s Desktop Underwriter system will validate property values through automated valuation models. The new requirements most typically apply to existing appraisals on file and for loans that already contain risk for Fannie Mae.

Under the new guidelines, lenders will be required to enter an estimated value of the house, which would then be compared with an estimate from an automated valuation model. If the two values are comparable, Fannie Mae will grant the borrower an appraisal waiver. If the two are not comparable, it will trigger an appraisal requirement.

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/an...numbr=3/4#6568

Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Fannie Mae will no longer require appraisals or property inspections from some borrowers who are refinancing mortgages. Instead, Fannie Mae’s Desktop Underwriter system will validate property values through automated valuation models. The new requirements most typically apply to existing appraisals on file and for loans that already contain risk for Fannie Mae.

Quote:
Under the new guidelines, lenders will be required to enter an estimated value of the house, which would then be compared with an estimate from an automated valuation model. If the two values are comparable, Fannie Mae will grant the borrower an appraisal waiver. If the two are not comparable, it will trigger an appraisal requirement.
What a stupid joke... Why would a lender not use the SAME AVM to get the 'price' right? And if not, then they would ask for a ton more "comp checks" without the least intention of hiring anyone.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 AM

State: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
Fannie Mae Eases Appraisal Requirements; Too Early to Assess Impact

Starting April 4, Fannie Mae will no longer require appraisals or property inspections from some borrowers who are refinancing mortgages. Instead, Fannie Mae’s Desktop Underwriter system will validate property values through automated valuation models. The new requirements most typically apply to existing appraisals on file and for loans that already contain risk for Fannie Mae.

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/an...numbr=3/4#6568
Fannie is very stupid, but this is not a stupid idea. If Fannie alrerady owns the loan and the refinance is a non-cashout refinance (which is what this program is for), then there is absolutely no additional risk to Fannie Mae by refinancing the loan without an appraisal. As much a I would like to see appraisals required in all transactions for selfish reasons, there really is no reason to require an appraisal in these transactions.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 AM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd354 View Post
Fannie is very stupid, but this is not a stupid idea. If Fannie alrerady owns the loan and the refinance is a non-cashout refinance (which is what this program is for), then there is absolutely no additional risk to Fannie Mae by refinancing the loan without an appraisal. As much a I would like to see appraisals required in all transactions for selfish reasons, there really is no reason to require an appraisal in these transactions.
I disagree with you. There is a very important reason to know the actual value of the house. How else will stock holders and potential stock holders regain confidence in the company?

Seriously, Fannie has lost a lot of money and now no one wants to invest in them! Same goes for all the crooked banks!

Who would invest in a company if you dont know the real value of the stock.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 AM

State: New Jersey

Yesterday I listened to Obama use the word; "valuation" over and over again which suggests that there will be a strong need to value real estate assets in the future which is generally good for us as a profession. That being said, I pray that we do not see another boom but simply a strong flow of highly scrutinized appraisals. The last thing we need is the return of "Skippy".

If you look at the "Jobs Board" here on AF you will already see inquiries for appraisers by firms who cover the entire state or multiple states. This suggests (but is not an accusation per se) that appraisal mills are gearing up again.

Yesterday, a good client of mine sent me an appraisal from a mill he engaged when I was unavailable. The appraisal exhibited evidence of a poor understanding of basic appraisal principles and the requirements of the secondary market which killed his deal. Apparently the value was sufficient to grant the loan but the appraisal failed to present a defensible and supported valuation analysis that provided adequate commentary to illustrate the appraisal problem at hand. Funny thing was the appraisal had 3 company names on it that indicated that it was prepared by an appraisal company for a statewide AMC who then provided it to a regional AMC. I wonder what the appraiser was paid by the appraisal company and what that company was paid by the statewide AMC and that company was paid by the regional company.

As much as I read complaining about blacklists here I hope they continue to cull "Skippy" and avoid being used as a coercion tool. Although I feel bad for the innocent caught up in them and hope I can avoid them myself I realize the continued lack of any enforcement will be the demise of us all anyway. In the absence of government regulation it seems to be the only deterent at this time.

In summary, losing a little work this way is not necessarily a bad thing and since Fannie is already on the hook for them using an AVM, which is essentially a rearview mirror of the market, it is not critical at this point.

It would however be nice if there was an equity recapture provision to the mods that would project work for us in the future.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM

The matters being attended to by the Obama administration are so dire and desperate that there is no time to concern ourselves with trivial matters like "accountability". Luckily, the VP indicated that there is maybe a 1/3 chance that the new administration's efforts will be successful. Now that's what I call hope we can believe in.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:25 AM

this is the part I dont understand:

Who's estimate will be compared to the AVM?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

The guy at the desk by the door....
Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
this is the part I dont understand:

Who's estimate will be compared to the AVM?
"Hey Lou, you got the estimate of value for that place on Main St. !!!??"

e6ae8f701d82fb66.jpg
Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 AM

State: Florida
Default I Love This Forum!

"Hey Lou, you got the estimate of value for that place on Main St. !!!??"

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread