Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Lenders asking for comps that are NOT comparable

Hello all

What are you doing when lenders including AMC's are asking for comparables that are NOT comparable just to appease their underwriting guidelines of distance and time.

I have a property in an area of town where sales are not abundant and there are no sales inside this small development in over 1 year. You have to travel 2-3 miles easily to find recent comparable properties.

Recently I have had lenders tell me that my appraisal is unacceptable and that they need all comps within 3 months and 1 mile, which is basically impossible in this market. However they are saying just give us any sale you have within this distance and time guideline, give it NO weight in the appraisal and this way the underwriter or client (in the case of the AMC) will be happy and they may accept the report.

This makes my skin crawl. I am sure you are getting this same thing from lenders. I tell them it makes no sense to add comps that have no weight and I am not in this business to make underwriters happy! I am here to value property and not MISLEAD the client with bogus comps just to make their guidelines work.

It does not appear to be against USPAP, but I just wanted your take on this and what you do in these cases. If I must do this I will in bold letters advise this is NOT my choice, this is only for the lender at their request and these comps are unreliable in terms of the report. Even this makes me mad as someday someone is going to look at this report and say what the H E _ _ was she thinking and why did she not stand her ground instead of cater to them. This is what got us in trouble to begin with Appraisers bending under lender pressure.

What do you think?

Thanks so much for any input you have!

Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Put it in then write a caveat to ignore that info because it if used it is MISLEADING and is only included to pacify a UW. State that you did ignore it. Otherwise, this goes in all my reports and should go into your engagement letter.

Quote:
Appraisals are based on the data available and instructions made at the time the assignment is completed. Amendments/modifications to appraisals based on new information or instructions made available after the appraisal was completed will be made as a new assignment and is subject to additional fees based upon time and expenses. Any actual math or calculation error will be corrected at our expense. We are not responsible for changes in the name of the client or borrower, repairs, reinspection, nor will we revisit a property for additional pictures, etc. unless we failed to comply with the original request from the client. Requests for additional comparables from underwriters are subject to an additional fee.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 AM

State: California

According to USPAP, you must not be biased. If taking the direction of your client for the selection of comparable properties, or any properties, results in a bias that favors your client, then you have violated USPAP.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM

State: Oregon

My standard policy for UW requests that are stupid is they don't get done
till the next day. Drives the processing people crazy.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM

State: New Mexico

USPAP also indicates that if a client has unreasonable assignment conditions you must simply decline the assignment. I believe these conditions are unreasonable and accepting them may also be a violation of USPAP.
Someone will do it, and while I have issue with that as well, it wont be me and it shouldnt be you.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 AM

State: Michigan

In a separate letter I restate their request and probably a lot of my addendum which was not read in the first place and add something similar to this:

"The research performed for this file was deep and wide covering adjacent neighborhoods/communities (where applicable), and is further filtered by the appraisers well schooled knowledge of the area which utilizes data from only those areas within each deemed to be viewed on a par with the subjects location and marketability. Unfortunately, at this time there were no more recent sales better suited to establishing the subjects market value than the ones presented in the appraisal. Furthermore, adding comparables to a report that require excessive gross/net adjustments due to large variances in size, site, age and design/appeal/condition (use whats appropriate) would not produce credible results and only further distort the process for which I was hired".
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM

State: Washington

Terrel: That's good, I'm going to use it or a very similar variation.

Quote:
Appraisals are based on the data available and instructions made at the time the assignment is completed. Amendments/modifications to appraisals based on new information or instructions made available after the appraisal was completed will be made as a new assignment and is subject to additional fees based upon time and expenses. Any actual math or calculation error will be corrected at our expense. We are not responsible for changes in the name of the client or borrower, repairs, reinspection, nor will we revisit a property for additional pictures, etc. unless we failed to comply with the original request from the client. Requests for additional comparables from underwriters are subject to an additional fee.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 AM

State: Illinois

I have begun addressing this with a statement on the same page as the additional sales they want me to provide.

"The underwriter/ lenders representative is attempting to provide professional assistance in regards to the selection of Comparable sales. The Underwriter/ Lenders representative has requested the inclusion of the above sales which they thought to be comparable to the subject. These sales have not been given weight in My final opinion of value but have been included at the request of the lenders representative"

Always get the request in writing before proceeding.

And I charge for the inclusion (gridding) of sales which were not comparable and were not given weight in MY opinion of value
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 AM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Marytt, unless you just got your appraisal license yesterday, you should know a lender will want exactly that. Either way, now you know.
Suggestion; use whichever sales that you need to form an opinion of value and use whichever sales you need to meet the lenders requirements.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 AM

State: Washington

Could it be they want their AVM to update with actual use of AVM comparables? And that's why they insist on their inclusion? I just say NO, but then again, I don't hve many clients due to my attitude
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread