Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Leica Disto A5 Troubleshoot/Repair Advice

My A5 seems to be working fine, but there is no display. All the sounds and laser are there, but no display. I replaced the batteries and no such luck. Has anyone had this problem before? I've become attached to this thing and love using it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Robert,

Kinda hard to use it when you can't see the screen, huh?

Where did you get the A5? Have you contacted them? They should be able to offer some tips and/or facilitate the repair for you.

If they can't or won't, let me know and I'll ask around. Maybe the LCD became unseated when dropped or just needs replacement...

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 03-17-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM

State: Illinois

Thanks for the reply Randall. I purchased it from Bradford Technologies. They directed me to Leica. Leica says they do not repair Distos and do not recommend any repairs. They did offer a buy back program for out of warranty units. I was told I can purchase a D5 at a discounted price. Bradford did not know about a buy back program and they were to contact Leica and get back to me today. I didn't hear back from them.

The Distos are not cheap. I had mine for almost three years and now I'm told to get a new one. I assume this rarely happens based on the number of responses. I will take my chance on another one. I thought about taking it to a local electronic repair, but I don't think they would be able to help. I think the cable attached to the LED display needs to be replaced, that would be my guess, but who knows.

Let me know if you have a better alternative. I will post the end result, perhaps someone could use this info in the future.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 PM

State: California

Mine turns off if you shake it to hard. I had another laser meter before and it started to burn through batteries like crazy. Seems like there is always some kind of problem with these meters. They only last 1-3 years. My next purchase will be the much cheaper Fatmax laser.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 PM

I've had my Disto almost 6 yrs with never a problem.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Yes, they should last a long time. I still use my prototype DISTO Plus quite a bit. FWIW, the FatMax lasers are made by Leica GeoSystems... ;-)

Robert - It might be worth taking the device apart and seeing if there is an obviously loose connection frayed ribbon cable or something. If so, it should be an easy repair locally if you can find someone to do it. Failing that, there is always eBay... With the introduction of the new D5, I would imagine there are lots of folks who would part with their earlier models to mitigate the cost of a new one... (?)

When I get back to the office, I'll see if I can find the specs or even the source of the LCD panel itself in case replacing it is an option.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM

I'm an appraiser and tired of climbing through bushes! I'm in the market for a laser measuring device and looking for suggestions on the available measuring devices available. Having never used a laser finder before I'm interested in hearing what is the most popular among appraisers. Thanks

Scott Ferguson
Ferguson Appraisals
San Diego
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: General Public

Buy a Disto with a view scope so you can see the red dot.

I've had two Disto's for many years; I keep one for backup in case batteries die in the field.

I also still find myself stumbling in the bush now and then, but a dropped Disto takes the knock and keeps on ticking. Talk about a defense against fumbling!

No matter how good you are with a tape, you can never reliably measure to a roof ridge line like you can with a laser pointer.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 PM

Thanks Red Flint. I did finally opt to buy a Disto 5 because it has a 2.5 in. view screen that is supposed to work good in the sun. Here is San Diego, we do have sun! I'm getting used to it slowly and still haven't figured out how to accurately measure a roof edge distance from the ground. Too many buttons, but I'll figure it out. Again thanks much. By the way, if Red Flint is your birth name, it's a great one.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread