Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default How do you become a VA appraiser?

I saw some older posts on the forum saying the panel is full and that it will take years to become a VA approved appraiser, along with some posts questioning how to apply. I found a link to a roster designation application form that expired in 4/2003. Does anyone know how to go about becoming a VA appraiser in this century, or is it even worth trying? The VA site is not easy to navigate. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 PM

State: Tennessee

I went through all of the application steps (last year) only to be told that VA is not currently accepting any new appraisers on the roster; however, my application would be held on file for a certain period of time.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM

State: Montana
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default On File

The key to getting on the panel is to be in the que when they open the panel. Make sure your application is complete with the letter of recomendation and all is in order. Keep renewing each year.

When you attend CE, find out who is a VA appraiser. If they look somewhat tottering and green around the gills, after you get back home, keep checking the obits.

My guess is they may open the panel again. VA appraisals are way up. Borrowers are flocking to their hometown banks and credit unions. Local banks know how to do VA loans and are steering customers to this guarantee loan program. VA has strict time schedules and it does not take long for the VA to realize appraisers can't keep up with schedules in certain markets. In all the years doing VA, I have never been this busy.

Good luck.

Doug
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 AM

State: Missouri

http://www.homeloans.va.gov/cav.htm
Old 03-17-2009, 04:39 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith, IFAS View Post
When you attend CE, find out who is a VA appraiser. If they look somewhat tottering and green around the gills, after you get back home, keep checking the obits.

LOL!

That description fits the last USPAP class I took for about 80% of the attendees.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM

State: North Carolina

As Doug Smith says, best to go ahead and get yuor application in if you really want to try. I got a call about a month, maybe 2 months ago, from my RLC asking if I recognized and of the names he read off to me - said they were "adding a few appraisers to the panel".

Of course, I am very near one of the benefactor araes of BRAC 2005, Ft. Bragg. They're sending lots of people here instead of closing it...so we've been fairly busy and I guess they added a few to keep the turn times in check.

In doing my normal routine these past weeks (a few sales, few refis, few foreclosures), I can say that construction is picking back up here. Lots more sounds of hammering out in the neighborhoods and lots of concrete trucks pouring foundations. Good signs. There had been a slowdown from the height of the 2003-2007 construction boom, but appears to be ramping back up to a moderate but steady pace again.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM

State: California

Do you get any type of an advantage or get moved up on the list if you're a geriatric vet???

if so, that's me lol
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 PM

State: Florida

I've been applying and re-applying for 11 years now. I'll probably be dead before a spot opens up.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM

State: Colorado

It would be a good time to get an application on file. As Doug said..."busiest I've been in years!". Make sure the application is complete and you meet the minimum requirements. Update your application annually.

It took me seven years after my initial application to get on the panel. We have a number of appraisers here, including me, who are approaching retirement which should also free up some panel positions.

Yes, there are preference points for being a veteran or minority.

Closed Thread