Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > ACI (Appraisers Choice) Software
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 PM

State: Maine
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Mac and ACI

Help...I am using a windows xp os on my macbook pro. I can not edit or delete lines in apex sketch once i hit enter. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2009, 03:33 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Are you running Windows XP inside of Parallels or Fusion?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:38 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Jennifer,

What version of Apex are you using? Select "about" from the Help menu and let me know the version number and date shown there.

Also, are you running Apex when launched from within ACI or are you running it "stand-alone?"

From your post, is sounds like your Apex program is running OK, but some functionality has become diminished, so my first inclination is that a setting has changed or there is some sort of conflict . If you give me more information about what is happening (or not happening, LOL), perhaps I can be of more help. Feel free to post here or e-mail me directly at the address spelled out here: rgarrett [at] apexwin [dot] com

Finally, if necessary, I can get you hooked up with a tech and you can run a little web app that lets you share your screen with us so we can witness the situation which may help us resolve your issue faster. As far as I know, Apex runs fine under the major OS "emulators." There are a few threads on this but I think they are under different "sections"... You might try searching for "Mac" just to see what pops up.

Let me know how I can help!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Thank you for getting in touch! I am running Apex within ACI, version 2.91.1073.1 8/25/04. Basically, what is not happending is that I can't back out of a line after I hit enter. So if I make a mistake I have to delete the sketch and start over. I am running windows xp on my mac. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jen
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Jennifer,

Glad to try and help. Being a former appraiser for the first half of my life, I remember what it is like trying to get stuff done on the weekend. Seems like that is when the wheels fall off... :-\

So, I take it that you are using the [Del] key to try to "back out" a line?

Is this something that on your existing system just seemed to happen all of a sudden, or did this just start happening when you moved to a Mac running an emulator? Which one are you running, BTW? I might find some sort of reference while researching if I know which one you are running...

If the [Ins] and [Del] key thing is not working, my first guess is that something is "re-mapping" those key values in memory, so it is important to know if this just started happening "out of the blue" or when you started using a Mac through an emulator. This is not a "blame" thing - I am just trying to narrow down where the glitch is coming from...

As a test, you might try running Apex in "stand-alone" mode. You should be able to do this by using Windows Explorer to find the apexwin.exe file and running it. It is probably located someplace like c:\program files\apex software\apex\... It should run just fine, but the worst case scenario is that your ACI license won't be recognized and it'll run in "demo" mode. That only affects the calculations and printing, so it won't matter for a test. Just load up the program without going through ACI and draw a few random lines. Try hitting [Del] a few times to see if it works. That will give us an indication whether the integration is contributing to the problem.

Let me know what you find out and I'll look into things further to see if we can find a resolution.

Finally, if you absolutely can't get things working and need something out this weekend before I can get a tech on it, if you will send me a scan of your sketch, I will draw it for you as best I can and e-mail you a PDF or something to insert into your report.

Let me know...

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 AM

Randall,

I just changed over to Mac on Monday and it started then. Not sure what you mean by an emulator. I am running windows os through bootcamp on mac, if that makes sense btw I am not technical at all.

Apple support can't seem to help and ACI stopped trouble shooting once I said I was on a mac. I tried it in "stand alone" mode and doesn't work. What is the [Ins] key?

Thank you again!

Jen Bedell
Old 04-05-2009, 08:44 AM

Jennifer,

OK, the fact that you just switched and it started then seems to indicate that the issue is centered around the emulator (Bootcamp) and how cleanly it handles all the keyboard mapping in this case.

Sorry for the abbreviations.
[Ins] = Inset key
[Del] = Delete key

By "mapping" I mean that when you are running Apex, the program intercepts the "signal" when you press a key and then interprets that to do something in the program. For example, when you press [F4] on a traditional PC keyboard, we "map" that mean open the Define Area dialog. Other examples are [F6] to display the Calculations Summary dialog, [F10] to refresh the screen, etc. These are examples of what are generally called "Short Cut Keys" or "Quick Keys" or other catchy names... ;-) In the case where they are along the top row and usually have an "F" on them, they are called "Function Keys" or simply "F Keys"...

In Apex, we take that a bit further and provide a remapping of keys you would usually use while (say) typing a document - things like [A] will Auto-Close the Area you are currently drawing, [C] will center the sketch, [M] will move the sketch, [R] rotates things, etc...

While drawing an Area, we use the [Delete] and [Insert] keys to allow you to sort of "undo" and "redo" your last lines. If you make a mistake while drawing, you can press the [Delete] key and it will "undo" the last line. Pressing [Insert] puts it back in. This technique is usually done with multiple key presses, as when you are drawing and see a mistake (say) 4 or 5 lines back - you'd press [Delete] the number of times necessary to get back to and delete the incorrect line, redraw that line correctly and then press [Insert] 4 or 5 times to successively draw the remaining correct lines and put you back where you left off before going back for the correction.

Whew! ;-)

I assumed this was the technique you were using to "back out a line" as it is the most common method - this feature has been around since about 1986 and it is standard enough that all the other sketch programs copy it.

Anyway, these "Quick Key" things are generally just a "one key" shortcut to do things tat are also on the menu, so if Bootcamp is (for whatever reason - bug, setting, or whatever) improperly translating or otherwise using the [Delete] key, you could also use the menus to do most things. Version 2 is probably 10 years old now (?) and I don't have that old a copy on my home machine anymore, so I can't remember if the [Insert] and [Delete] key functions are on the menus, nor which one they would be on. My guess would be either the Edit menu or the Tools menu...

Let me know if I have misinterpreted the technique you were using to "back out a line"... If you were not trying to use the [Delete] key for this, perhaps I am all wet and need to be looking for another solution and/or explanation. As old as I am now, I am easily confused, LOL.

Assuming you are attempting to use the [Delete] and [Insert] key technique and that is what is not working, another line editing feature is the Line Edit function - I believe this was under the Edit menu. The short cut key for this is [Ctrl] [L] or [Control] [L]. This works a little differently than the [Delete] and [Insert] feature. First off, it does not go in reverse order, but works from the first line of the current Defined Area. So, if you are drawing a Defined Area and press [Ctrl] [L], your drawing will be suspended and a solid black "arrow tip" type pointer will appear at the center of the first line of the Area you are currently drawing. It looks like a mouse cursor, but it is not, so don't try to use the mouse. These features are so old, they were done back before people even typically used mice, LOL (really!) Also, this feature is a "mode" - meaning you are in a special mode and regular drawing techniques are temporarily suspended. Pressing the [Esc] or [Escape] key will exit you from the mode and return you to the last end point of the current Area.

Anyway, to use the Line Edit feature, you use the [Tab] key to move to the line you want to edit and press the [Return] or [Enter] key to select it for editing. [Shift] [Tab] moves the line backward if you go to far. Once the pointer arrow tip is pointing at the line you want to edit, and you press [Enter] to select it, the line will disappear, so you simply use the regular technique to re-draw the line as normal. When you press [Enter] again to "post" the line and then again to post the dimension, the arrow tip will move to the next line. (This allows you to move back and forth along the perimeter of the current Defined Area to "square" a shape.) Once you are finished editing lines, you press the [Esc] key to get out of Line Edit mode.

So, in your case, if you need to edit the last line of the Area you are drawing, you'd press [Ctrl] [L] (or select Line Edit from the Edit menu) and then press the [Tab] key until the pointer is at the last line. Press [Enter] to select it, then re-draw the line with the correct dimensions. I believe that if you select the last line of the current Defined Area, once you re-draw it correctly, you do not have to press [Esc] to get out of Line Edit mode. Again, I don't have such an old version here at home, but that is how it works on more recent versions that I do have.

Below is a link to a page with some video tutorials. They are on a more recent version, but we always keep existing shortcut keys, etc. that people "grew up on" in newer versions and only add new stuff or tweak features per user requests. So, don't pay so much attention to how the screens and menus might look different - many of the time-savings techniques shown are likely in your ancient version... :-)

Link to page with video tutorials: http://www.apexwin.com/v5/Videos/Appraiser/index.php
Select the one named "Learn Apex Medina Appraiser"

There are some 60 or 70 short (1 - 4 minute) videos, but there is a menu on the left side that will let you skip ahead to a topic of particular interest. The [Delete] and [Insert] technique feature is item number 16. The Line Edit feature is item number 47. You may want to watch others at your convenience - you are almost certain to pick up on something that will save you time or make an otherwise difficult drawing problem more simple... :-)

Finally, don't take this as a "sales" thing. I am not in sales and my presence here is strictly to help people with things I have some expertise in. That said, you really should consider upgrading to a newer version of Apex in order to mitigate these sorts of issues. I would imagine the time you've spent just trying to get going again is worth getting past stuff like this... :-) It sometimes amazes me how people will spend thousands on new hardware but balk at upgrading a 10 year old program to save a hundred dollars, LOL. Also, others here may recommend a different emulator than Bootcamp. That would cost a little, too, but generally I think they are under $100.

Hope this helps! Whatever you do (upgrade or not), I am happy to keep trying to help. If you don't get this going and still need help, e-mail me and I will get a tech to call you. This will be on "my nickle", BTW... ;-) I just want to help!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 PM

OMG, it will take a little getting used to, but it WORKS! Thank you so much for your time. I really appreicte it. I have been avoiding sketching this 5000 sf house all day knowing that I would have some mistakes and have to delete and start from scratch. I will take your advice and upgrade. But for now it WORKS!

Thank you again!

Jen Bedell
Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Bedell View Post
Apple support can't seem to help and ACI stopped trouble shooting once I said I was on a mac.

Did you ask for a discount on your support contract since they cannot give you the support you paid for?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

When I call ACI I never tell them I use a Mac. Let them work for the money

I use Apex 4 and the delete key works. However there is no insert (Ins) key on the Mac keyboard. To insert hit the fn + return and it does the same thing.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread