Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > General Real Estate and Real Estate Finance
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Test your home for RADON

I just tested my 2-year old house for RADON and I got an elevated reading. I will be having the problem corrected soon, but in the mean time I wanted to encourage everyone on the forum to have your house tested for RADON.

You can buy the do-it-yourself test kit at Home Depot for about $10 and it costs about $30 to send it in to be analyzed. Testing is super easy as you just set two little canisters in your basement for 4 days, then screw the caps on and drop 'em in the mail.

Spending the $40 to get my house tested was well worth it in my opinion. Once I get my problem corrected it will be as if I quit smoking 1/2 pack of Cigs per day.

Now go to Home Depot and buy yourself a RADON test kit.

Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Radon is a scam. Snake oil I tell you.

I sold a home a couple months ago, dual agent, suggested the normal tests, radon included. Test came back in the 60's. Had to get it mediated.

Funny thing is the old folks that lived there since '77, new construction, and spent most of their retired time in the basement watching tv. They are 90+ years old now and in perfect health. No tumors, no cancer. They were both totally bald though....

Get your home tested TODAY!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTip View Post
Funny thing is the old folks that lived there since '77, new construction, and spent most of their retired time in the basement watching tv. They are 90+ years old now and in perfect health. No tumors, no cancer. They were both totally bald though....
While I recognize that there is some serious debate about the impact of radon, this is just a silly argument. There are two-pack a day, whiskey swilling, bacon-eating guys out there who live to ripe old age. So? There are exceptions to every health rule and anectdotal stories mean nothing.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM

State: Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
..............There are two-pack a day, whiskey swilling, bacon-eating guys out there who live to ripe old age......................
So I have a chance at old age?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Evans View Post
So I have a chance at old age?
I'm hoping.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Some years ago when I was doing home inspections and had a radon technician license I remember from the classroom training that the risks we associate with radon are based on some very dated statistics from coal miners in Sweden(?). (it was miners in some European country)

I don't believe there is any recent strong data supporting a link between radon and lung cancer

There is still a lot of debate about how valid the epidimiological evidence is. Nevertheless it's here to stay. Most people accept that it's a danger without really knowing the science or lack of, behind it. But that's true for a lot of things we take for granted.

Junk science is all around us.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM

State: Georgia

According to some, we are completely screwed since we have granite counter tops! Gotta run and finish my tin foil hat.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread