Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Oregon
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 AM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Appraisal Management Company
Default Average Southern Oregon Fee?

Hi! I'm hoping that I can get some feedback on the average fees charged for Southern Oregon. We are a small (very small) starting local/regional AMC advocating for the appraisers and we'd like to cover all of Oregon/Washington.

We know that appraisals outside of Portland metro area have unique characteristics and will need a different fee schedule negotiated with our main client for those appraisals.

Can you give me the typical fee for a 1004 w/MC and for acreage properties?

Thank you!

If you're interested in our panel, we are looking for appraisers outside the metro area. Our management fee is $75 which covers our expenses, a small profit and the port fee we pay for the automated PDF review. We are here to advocate for the appraisal profession. We know we are fighting against a giant...but feel that we can make a difference. If interested you can visit fcaminc . com.

Thank you again!

Taunya
Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Typical fee: $650.00
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktay View Post
Typical fee: $650.00
I like the fee, but what are you doing appraising in Oregon miktay?

Everybody and their brother wants to be an AMC.

Tell you what Taunya, I'll cover the areas outside the immediate Portland metro area and be your partner up here. Fees will be on an individual per quote basis, due to the uniqueness of acreage properties. You just add $75 on to my quotes to cover the AMC fee.

Do we have a deal?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 AM

Harry - I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. I was and am serious. I have to have a fee schedule for our client because they are worried about RESPA where they have disclose fees up front. I am just as frustrated because obviously some properties are going to be more.

So harry...what is it that you charge on average, or do you quote each and every appraisal?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstchoiceappraisal View Post
Harry - I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. I was and am serious. I have to have a fee schedule for our client because they are worried about RESPA where they have disclose fees up front. I am just as frustrated because obviously some properties are going to be more.

So harry...what is it that you charge on average, or do you quote each and every appraisal?
Bear with me Taunya, as I am going to answer your question by asking two questions first.

What area are you located in? I am located in the SE outskirts of the Portland metro area.

What is the average fee in your area?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM

We are in Beaverton. One of our client has a negotiated fee of $450 for 1004s. The other we proposed $500 and as far as we know that's the fee.

We were asked by the one client what the fee would be outside of the metro area, because they are used to paying a trip fee. They want a uniform fee schedule for their entire company and are not opposed to paying what the outlying areas are worth...we just need to tell them.

I don't mind answering questions. I wish more than anything that this industry wasn't changing the way it is. And although I understand everyone and their dog wants to be an AMC, we (my husband and I) felt that someone had to stand up and say that the way the industry is going isn't acceptable. This is the toughest thing we have ever done. It's hard to balance the needs of the client and the appraiser. Trust me, my husband (the appraiser) is just as mad as any other out there. He lost his best client he's had for over 15 years to LSi...and they only want to pay him $200 an appraisal.

We had no choice...we had to advocate for our family, our employees and the industry that we believe in.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Hi! I'm hoping that I can get some feedback on the average fees charged for Southern Oregon. We are a small (very small) starting local/regional AMC advocating for the appraisers and we'd like to cover all of Oregon/Washington.

We know that appraisals outside of Portland metro area have unique characteristics and will need a different fee schedule negotiated with our main client for those appraisals.

Can you give me the typical fee for a 1004 w/MC and for acreage properties?

Thank you!

If you're interested in our panel, we are looking for appraisers outside the metro area. Our management fee is $75 which covers our expenses, a small profit and the port fee we pay for the automated PDF review. We are here to advocate for the appraisal profession. We know we are fighting against a giant...but feel that we can make a difference. If interested you can visit fcaminc . com.

Thank you again!

Taunya
Taunya,

It appears that you are not familiar with Southern Oregon.

Unlike Portland, there is a significant variety of properties here and to ask what is the fee for the typical 1004MC and acreage properties, the answer is it depends.

Every rural or suburban property I quote a fee for, is researched prior to quoting a fee.

There are many appraisers here that are straving for work and charge way under just to get the job. And having reviewed some of these reports, I can say you get what you pay for.

Garbage in, garbage out...With the HVCC if the bank doesn't like the first appraisal and they order a new one, who is going to pay for that.

So I would encourage you to do your due diligence very diligently and carefully or it could came back to you. In addition, are you a trainee, I hope you are being supervised on behalf of your efforts....

Good luck with your new AMC.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Roscoe -

Thank you for your response. I will pass this on to our client and we'll see where we can go from there.

I can assure that we don't want those starving garbage appraisers. We have several up here who want on our panel...and we're not willing to add them. If you are good, you will demand to be paid what you are worth...that's our opinion.

Would you be willing to accept a private PM from me so I can find out which ones to avoid?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
We are in Beaverton. One of our client has a negotiated fee of $450 for 1004s. The other we proposed $500 and as far as we know that's the fee.

We were asked by the one client what the fee would be outside of the metro area, because they are used to paying a trip fee. They want a uniform fee schedule for their entire company and are not opposed to paying what the outlying areas are worth...we just need to tell them.

I don't mind answering questions. I wish more than anything that this industry wasn't changing the way it is. And although I understand everyone and their dog wants to be an AMC, we (my husband and I) felt that someone had to stand up and say that the way the industry is going isn't acceptable. This is the toughest thing we have ever done. It's hard to balance the needs of the client and the appraiser. Trust me, my husband (the appraiser) is just as mad as any other out there. He lost his best client he's had for over 15 years to LSi...and they only want to pay him $200 an appraisal.

We had no choice...we had to advocate for our family, our employees and the industry that we believe in.
Hi Taunya,

I appreciate the fact that you and your husband are taking charge of your future by starting an AMC. I applaud your efforts to control your destiny.

Your Portland metro area fees are right on of course.

I disagree with Roscoeman on one point though. The Portland metro area and its outlying areas also have a significant variety of properties. These days every order I accept gets preliminary research done before a solid fee quote is given. Having said that, the average acreage type appraisal fee that I charge is in the $550-$600 range. But once again they are on a fee quote basis. Hope that helps, it looks like you folks already have the areas I cover handled and dialed in, so my input should be old news to you.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

I'm sorry to be skeptical, but it seems everyone and their sister has decided to start a regional AMC to satisfy their clients to comply with the HVCC. Everyone want's to promise that they can cover an entire region/state or whatever. What it boils down to, is that you are doing this so that you can protect your own position in the local market. It means you as an AMC accept local work(that gets directed to your husband), in what appears to be a violation of the HVCC, but in order to acquire this "account" you need to expand your coverage to include areas you don't work in to make it seem like you are being compliant with the spirit of the HVCC. That is being an "unbiased neutral party"?
How can you accept any appraisal work for your own company, from your own AMC, and be compliant with the HVCC?
If you want or need to be an AMC; feel free, the competition is just waiting for you. But if you are an appraisal company, and you accept any of the work that client offers, you can't claim to be a third party AMC, completely neutral, etc.
JMHO

Last edited by Tom Barclay : 04-16-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread