Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > General Real Estate and Real Estate Finance
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Things Are Very, Very Difficult.

I posted an ad for a 'handyman' on Craig's List yesterday, just looking for someone to help me with some minor things around the house like moving furniture, paint touch-up, carrying boxes, minor repairs, install light fixtures, etc. Basically things we didn't finish when we moved in over two years ago. I figured I might hire a college kid, and refer them to some neighbors who are elderly and also need help once in a while, so they could make some extra money.

I posted yesterday around 5:00 p.m. This morning I had over 125 responses, which included one from an unemployed mechanical engineer, one unemployed Realtor/Loan broker, several licensed contractors-all willing to work for $17.00 per hour.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

$17/hr might even get you a doctor around here! It is tight out there.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

"Heresy I say!"
How dare you say that things are bad, why it's un- American!
Things are getting better everyday, I know, because I keep reading about it and seeing it in the media!

btw......how many appraisers responded? I bet a SKIPPY will do it for $7.50 an hour.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl View Post
I posted an ad for a 'handyman' on Craig's List yesterday, just looking for someone to help me with some minor things around the house like moving furniture, paint touch-up, carrying boxes, minor repairs, install light fixtures, etc. Basically things we didn't finish when we moved in over two years ago. I figured I might hire a college kid, and refer them to some neighbors who are elderly and also need help once in a while, so they could make some extra money.

I posted yesterday around 5:00 p.m. This morning I had over 125 responses, which included one from an unemployed mechanical engineer, one unemployed Realtor/Loan broker, several licensed contractors-all willing to work for $17.00 per hour.
17 an hour Cash & your easy on the eyes!!! ONLY!!!!! 125 responses I guess things are better than I thought!! Surprising not one Appraiser applied??

Due to my "Sideline" job be very careful using the internet for employees, especially one time types. you'd be better off asking Salvation army or your local police or a church group. & it would be "Deductable"
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM

$17.00/hour isn't that much for entry-level handyman around here-state minimum wage is $8.00/hour, even Starbucks starts people around $10 or $11.00. Movers are charging $25/hour and experienced handyman around $30/hour.

I like Karl's idea though-I take things to the Goodwill quite a bit and also to the Salvation Army because I like what they do. I hadn't thought about contacting them for a handyman.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio

Quote:

Dear Caligirl,

I find a good bit of irony in your OP. While the title states that things are very difficult, at least you are looking to hire, and at $17/hour!

That you have the capacity to hire out chores is at least a good sign.

But the OP raises more important questions. Has the character of marriage, somehow changed? Why are you not brow beating your husband into performing what to the rest of the married world appears as the standard duties of his office?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin the Airedale View Post
Dear Caligirl,

I find a good bit of irony in your OP. While the title states that things are very difficult, at least you are looking to hire, and at $17/hour!

But the OP raises more important questions. Has the character of marriage, somehow changed? Why are you not brow beating your husband into performing what to the rest of the married world appears as the standard duties of his office?
My husband is busy working, which is why I can pay someone to help. When he's at home he gets enough brow-beating as it is.

Look-the hourly wage is for occasional help, not a full-time job! I figured a college kid might like to make some extra money here and there.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin the Airedale View Post
Dear Caligirl,

OUCH!! As a married man I'll answer that, The ONLY reason I'm still doing anything with Appraisals is so I do NOT!! have to do what the wife says. (examples only) As long as I can keep the Pool Boy, House cleaner, & hire out anything to do with common labor, life is good.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:31 AM

State: New Jersey

Calli,
If you'd be willing to throw in a few travel expenses, I"M AVAILABLE!!! I'M now going NATIONWIDE! WHEN CAN I START??? That's WAY more than amc's are paying!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio

Quote:
My husband is busy working, which is why I can pay someone to help. When he's at home he gets enough brow-beating as it is.

Look-the hourly wage is for occasional help, not a full-time job! I figured a college kid might like to make some extra money here and there.
I'm sorry, this story just doesn't wash! One of you is slacking off.

No husband in the history of marriage every worked too hard that he was excused from the ancillary services of domestic servitude. (Check your marriage certificate, I think that might be in the fine print.)

OTOH, you may want to re-exmine your kvetching skills.

Closed Thread