Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > Oregon
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default County home sales take a big leap

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...WS07/905050338

I can hardly wait until there is more news about this tomorrow...

There is a live interview tonight on the local news, but unfortuntely, I don't get local coverage.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeman View Post
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...WS07/905050338

I can hardly wait until there is more news about this tomorrow...

There is a live interview tonight on the local news, but unfortuntely, I don't get local coverage.
Seem's like really good news for the north west. I hope your State recovers. Florida, however will be a basket case for years to come.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

City homes, not doing so good http://www.ktvl.com/video/index.php?...id=22028701001

http://www.ktvl.com/video/index.php?...id=21385470001

http://www.ktvl.com/video/index.php?...id=21596661001

http://www.ktvl.com/video/index.php?...id=21758668001
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

And we continue to suck http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...l?ana=from_rss
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I have a different and more skeptic take on the article.

When you analyze the data, I believe you will find that the value has not gone up, but has actually dropped slightly. You will see that sellers today are actually getting a little more realistic in pricing, but most important, you will find that 50+% of the closed sales are foreclosure, REO or short sales. In verifying those foreclosure sales I find a large number being purchased by investors with the anticipation of little to no return for the next couple years, but purchasing for long term (10+ years). A lot of those sales are cash transactions and the amount of financing available is still limited in this area.

Then look at the number of new foreclosure notices in the paper or title company website, and the whole article becomes a Realtor pretending we are out of the woods without backup. We have more foreclosures coming on the market than we are presently selling. We are nowhere close to reducing the REO inventory and it is still driving prices down. The REO inventory is still increasing and the prices are still not settled. Take a look at the number of price reductions on the market every day.

We have on a daily average around 40 listings coming on the market, we have on average 30+ price reductions and around 20 listings expering per day. Compare that to the 7-10 listings that go in escrow and 4-6 listings that close on a daily basis average and the picture does not look like an upswing market.

Looking at everything, we are no where close to what the Realtor community wants the public to believe. Remember, in order to sell, the real estate sales community has to create a real or make believe desire in the buying public based on the anticipation that we have limited supply and a lot of demand.

I don't believe we have reached bottom yet. We are approaching the busy season and will settle a little over the next couple months with more sales and slower reductions in value, but the basic underlying economic news has not changed and will not change in the near future. There is no reason for the picture to have changed, except real or created perception in the public mind.

Statistics is a game and three people can and will read different interpretations into the same data.

As always, the skeptic when it comes to believing others.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dog View Post

Looking at everything, we are no where close to what the Realtor community wants the public to believe. Remember, in order to sell, the real estate sales community has to create a real or make believe desire in the buying public based on the anticipation that we have limited supply and a lot of demand.

I don't believe we have reached bottom yet. We are approaching the busy season and will settle a little over the next couple months with more sales and slower reductions in value, but the basic underlying economic news has not changed and will not change in the near future. There is no reason for the picture to have changed, except real or created perception in the public mind.

Statistics is a game and three people can and will read different interpretations into the same data.

As always, the skeptic when it comes to believing others.
Dog,

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Last night on Channel 10, our mls and a realtor really made this market sound good. I about threw up!

As a friend told me, he believes based on this article it could start a frenzy and what if you were a first time home buyer, bought a home and realized a year later you paid to much. Then you face foreclosure or something. This stuff makes me crazy!!!

Closed Thread