Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > General Real Estate and Real Estate Finance
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 AM

State: Delaware
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Arrow "screen and reject the appraiser selected"

Well, here's a MB who suggests that the Homeowner should cross-examine the AMC appraiser and reject those he doesn't like.

http://www.davidmdamare.com/newsletter/?p=144

.BTW... if you do a Control -A (Or Edit, Select All) the page is easy to read.

Last edited by Riick : 05-06-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM

State: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Well, here's a MB who suggests that the Homeowner should cross-examine the AMC appraiser and reject those he doesn't like.

This guy needs a tutorial on web design. Black font on dark blue background. I got a headache after one paragraph. Otherwise his recommendations are idiotic.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post

What a great idea! It may be called due diligence on the homeowner's part.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM

and then we will ask for the credit report...and loan documents...and we can call it due dilligene!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

From a consumer perspective, I didn't see the problem with the suggestion.

From an appraiser's perspective, it sounds like a pain.

Relo companies give transferees the same kind of advice. I have gotten referrals from other transferees as a result of my interviews with the original transferee.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 AM

State: North Carolina

If the Homeowner has a hand in selecting the appraiser, the lender by law can not use that appraisal, no?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
From a consumer perspective, I didn't see the problem with the suggestion.

From an appraiser's perspective, it sounds like a pain.

Relo companies give transferees the same kind of advice. I have gotten referrals from other transferees as a result of my interviews with the original transferee.
There is much different between the one who wants to sell a home and the one who wants to borrow money against the home.
The one who wants to sell the home wants to know what is the market value of the home. The one who wants to borrow money aginst the home wants to know what is the maximum money can be borrowed regardless of market value
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM

If some pony-tailed appraiser in cargo shorts and an untucked long-sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up knocks on my door, I'm not letting him in. Especially if there is a dog in his car.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moh malekpour View Post
There is much different between the one who wants to sell a home and the one who wants to borrow money against the home.
The one who wants to sell the home wants to know what is the market value of the home. The one who wants to borrow money aginst the home wants to know what is the maximum money can be borrowed regardless of market value
And yet I saw no reference to value or loan amount questions in the webpage that is the subject of this discussion.

And I must assume that you don't do much relo work, because I haven't talked with a single transferee that didn't want an appraisal on the high end. They want the highest possible offer from the relo company. They generally could care less about what the relo company can sell it for. And the relo company is not concerned with market value. They want to know what it will sell for.

Last edited by Ken B : 05-06-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
And yet I saw no reference to value or loan amount questions in the webpage that is the subject of this discussion.

And I must assume that you don't do much relo work, because I haven't talked with a single transferee that didn't want an appraisal on the high end. They want the highest possible offer from the relo company. They generally could care less about what the relo company can sell it for. And the relo company is not concerned with market value. They want to know what it will sell for.
Your assumption is right that I have not done many REL. I did few of them a long time ago when they called me. but I did not want to pay for membership and never joned them. I don't know if it is worth of money to pay them and take a chance to get some business from them or not.
But you say that transferee wants the highest possible offer. Isnít it the desire of all home sellers and isnít it what all listing agents promise sellers to get them the highest price?
Then, you say that they care less about what the Relo Company can sell it for and then you say that the relo company is not concerned with market value, they want to know how much it will sell for?
Lets take the last sentence that they want to know how much it will sell for? Do they want to know how much it will sell for upon the condition that seller and buyer are willing to sell or buy or the condition that they are coerced, intimidated or forced to sell or buy? Are relo seller and buyer informed and knowledgeable of what they are doing or not? Are they supposed to negotiate back and forth or not? is the property suppose to have certain day of market exposure or not? is the payment for the transaction going to be in cash or cash equivalent or not?
If the conditions for how much it will sell for and the conditions that are in the definition of market value are the same, then how much it will sell for = how much is the market value under those conditions. In the scope of work, those conditions in definition of market value can be defined. For example, the marketing time can be defined as 120-150 days instead of 30-90 days. The higher the marketing time, the longer the exposure to the market, the longer exposure brings more buyers to the property and more buyers create more competition and more competition causes higher value. But it has to be defined in scope of work in the framework of market value definition.
I am trying to find out what is the different between what the property is going to sell for under certain conditions with what is the market value under the same conditions. If the conditions for what the property is going to sell for are different with the conditions of what is in the definition of market value, please explain them.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread