Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > General Real Estate and Real Estate Finance
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:40 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default So sorry.

that I offended the fans of "The One". I forgot. That's not allowed.

If I had a dime for every time GWB got bashed on this forum I'd have retired by now.

I'll go sit in my corner now.....

sheeesh.......
Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

In case you are unaware, the Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on religion. The term church is specifically christian. It should no more be in the report than a sentence saying the house "backs up to a white neighborhood." This is not new, and every appraiser should already be aware of such issues.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
The term church is specifically christian.
So when the ACLU et al refer to the "separation of church and state", they are refering only to the Christian religion? It doesn't apply to Judaism, Islam, or Buddhism? What am I missing here?

Glad I don't have to do too many residential appraisals. Too many stupid rules.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
In case you are unaware, the Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on religion. The term church is specifically christian. It should no more be in the report than a sentence saying the house "backs up to a white neighborhood." This is not new, and every appraiser should already be aware of such issues.
How about "house" instead of "place" of worship? Is that determined to be Christian or offending anyone? Maybe the word "worship" offends someone? Gotta keep on top of this stuff......
Old 05-18-2009, 05:04 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: General Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbouti View Post
So when the ACLU et al refer to the "separation of church and state", they are refering only to the Christian religion? It doesn't apply to Judaism, Islam, or Buddhism? What am I missing here?
Do you get stips from the ACLU? If not you're missing quite a bit it would seem. If you had used mosque, most likely the stip would have required you to use place of worship. If you had used temple, the stip would most likely have required you to use place of worship. And so forth.

Do those of us on this forum actually need to spell out the reasonings for such requests? Or are you trying to make a point where there is none to be made?
|......../
Media
Old 05-18-2009, 05:04 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Check your dictionary Sheikh--church can refer to the edifice itself which is a Christian term. Church can also refer to a "the ecclesiastical government of a particular religious group...as opposed to secular government."

BTW--your high dudgeon at this situation is amusing.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 PM

I guess the AF is not the place for political incorrectness. Maybe if I was as colorful as Karl I'd get away with it. Point taken. I'll shut up now. Sorry I shared.

One more thing.....I've been doing this for 29 years and today is the first time I have EVER been stipped for using the word "church". So yeah, this was news to me. Guess I need to get out more. Next time it's going to be called a "non-residential building with a pointy thing on the roof".

Last edited by Sheikh Yerbouti : 05-18-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM

State: Wisconsin

I have appraised several churches over the course of my career. Those reports must have been full of violations based on what I've read on this Forum. Heck, I even went into great detail explaining how different architectural styles appeal to one flavor of christians vs. another (i.e. Baptists were not likely to purchase a former Catholic church, but some Lutheran congregations might).

Ya know, people need to realize that there is more to appraising than filling out a 1004 and just because Fannie and Freddie don't want you to mention "church" when an appraisal is for residential lending purposes doesn't mean that's a hard and fast rule for ALL appraisals.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:45 PM

State: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbouti View Post
that I offended the fans of "The One". I forgot. That's not allowed.

If I had a dime for every time GWB got bashed on this forum I'd have retired by now.

I'll go sit in my corner now.....

sheeesh.......
Is the cross you carry heavy?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio

Quote:

"Church" is shorter and more descriptive than the phrase "house of worship." For shear economy of prose it is preferential to the latter.

Yes, Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination based on religion. It is a long leap (dare I say ironically) of faith to assume that because one describes accurately an adjoining land use that one has discriminated in any way shape or form. Use of the term church neither violates the FHA or any other rules other than those promulgated by devotees of political correctness.

Closed Thread