Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default different perimeter colors for 1st & 2nd Flr

I have been using Apex for 13yrs . . . in v.3.2 is there a way that I can change the 2nd floor perimeter to say red or green, but leave the first floor color black???

If I'm drawing a McMansion I like to draw the 2nd floor "overtop" the first floor inorder for my exterior walls to be consistant.

Thanks!

P.S. I still like the old, old, old version
Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

AWTY,

The ability to change various line attributes (color, style, thickness, etc) to help distinguish Areas from one another has been in most versions for a long time - some as far back as the DOS version(s.) This is commonly done by offices, jurisdictions, etc. who want to standardize on a certain look to all their drawings.

I believe it should be available in your v3.2 but I don't have a version that old on my remote system here, so I can't make screen shots as an illustration. If what I describe below is not clear, let me know and I'll load up an old version when I get to my office and attach a screen shot or two.

When you are Defining an Area, select the third tab on that dialog and you should see line style properties. This is where you set these properties for the Area you are about to draw. If you want to save these selections for future use, select "Save as Default." Once these defaults are set, these setting sill be saved to a "configuration" file when you exit the program and will be in effect the next time you run the program.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more specific help.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

PS - Which "old, old, old" version did you like best and why? Your feedback helps us improve things.

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 06-16-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

COOL !!!!!!!!!!

What an idiot . . . I have NEVER EVER clicked on the 3rd tab.

I kept trying to change the color thru Options / Configuration . . . but needless to say it was changing ALL area borders, I couldn't pick and choose.

BTW . . . Aaawwww I miss DOS . . . I could rock on DOS!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

AWTY,

LOL - yeah, the third tab is largely missed as "behind the scenes" when you're hitting [Enter][Enter] and just moving on. A lot of this sort of thing was moved to an expended Configurations dialog in v4 a few years ago because people asked for things like this to be more consolidated.

Maybe we should get you scheduled for a (free) webinar sometime so you can use what you have more effectively. That is, get some tips and tricks that might save you some time, etc. You already own the software, so investing about 30 minutes learning how to use new stuff would likely pay off. Most of the stuff added between v2 and v3 is user request stuff, added to handle things others ran into from time to time. Version 1 for Windows was a weak attempt to move from everybody's favorite DOS program to a Windows version. Version 2 fixed a lot of the pin-headed things I did in the v1 program and v3 was the first one that caught up to the DOS version and added a few things.

Let me know if you want me to get a webinar scheduled for you. I can get Robert to specifically cover some common techniques used by those who routinely do McMansions or commercial structures and use the "overtop" method. I think that setting up your own standard defaults for color, style, thickness, etc. is a great things to do - adding a little (subtle) color helps the eye (especially the reader's) distinguish pertinent things and can even help minimize the wording used in a report if/when you need to point out something. That is, draw it in (say) thick red dashed lines if there is a wall with a defect or some other treatment for a structural addition... i.e. "The room addition done in 1997 is highlighted on the attached sketch." Just thinking out loud...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 06-17-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread