Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default HVCC and Customer

I recently completed a coventional appraisal for a local bank, no AMC involved. When the customer received a copy of the appraisal he contacted me suggesting changes. His code for it didn't appraise high enough. Should I be discussing the appraisal with him or redirect him to the loan officer who sent him to me when it became apparent the deal started to go south?
Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 AM

State: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Massey View Post
I recently completed a coventional appraisal for a local bank, no AMC involved. When the customer received a copy of the appraisal he contacted me suggesting changes. His code for it didn't appraise high enough. Should I be discussing the appraisal with him or redirect him to the loan officer who sent him to me when it became apparent the deal started to go south?
By "customer" do you mean the borrower?
If the bank is your client then you should be discussing thinks with them.

Being a fee appraiser is like being unemployed and constantly looking for work.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM

State: California

You politely tell the borrower to go through the bank. That is your client.

However, you can contact your client and get them to give you written permission to talk with the borrower.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM

State: Washington

DMZ : It's discussing "thunks" with them, not discussing "thinks" with them. Ed, the client is the only one you should ever talk to. Let them handle the borrowers concerns. Talking to the borrower might open you to a lawsuit if the wrong thing is said or perceived to be said. Lay it off on your client.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM

call you boss, the lender client persona nd ask him if its OK to speak with the borrower. If he says yes, then have him send you a quick note stating so and put it in your work file. If he says NO, then have him send a note stating that you can not speak with the borower. Show that to the borrower and it will help things a little.

This is a PR thing and your on the verge of getting a complaint filed againts you by this borrower to your state appraisal board.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM

State: New York

The Bank is the Client; professionally and politely inform the Bank that THEIR CUSTOMER contacted you and for THEM to:

Kindly forward any information the Bank believes may be relevant to the Bank to you and you'll be glad to review it. There is of course no guarantee that any additional data may change the appraisal results.

DO NOT CALL EITHER the borrower OR the client on the phone!!. LOOSE LIPS CAN COST YOUR LICENSE.

Communicate IN WRITING with your client, retain ALL correspondence in the work file.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Thanks, Mike this is helpful information.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Massey View Post
Thanks, Mike this is helpful information.
Yes, Mikey is more techncally correct then I am. On the other hand I suffered the wrath of a disgruntled homeowner because the lender would not let me speak with the kid to calm him down. The kid promptly filed a complaint againts me for possibly being wrong about the value since he had a two year old appraisal that was(surprise) higher then mine. So he files complaints about both appraisal reports.

Nine months later I was cleared and the complaint dismissed. All that because no one would or could take the time to explain the process and what had happened to the kids property value. My hands were tied, all because the dumb_ss lender would not 'in writing' give me permission to settle the PR problem.

Last edited by Carnivore : 08-12-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:50 PM

State: Florida

Many banks have specific policies that do not allow their LOs to give permission to an appraiser to speak with anyone else. So the LO's hands may be tied. Most of this originates with the bank's paranoia over HVCC.

Also, complaints to state boards about value represent nearly 85% of all complaints. State boards do not investigate value. They investigate USPAP violations. And most boards are overwhelmed with legitimate lender originated complaints. So, unles the "kid" can show a USPAP violation the state board will it file under "T" for trash.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 PM

State: Indiana

They investigate value here and then throw in USPAP violations for good measure...

Member NAIFA
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread