Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:19 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default 1 report - "Subject To" and "As Is"?

Appraisal completed "subject to" with list of repairs and an estimate by a general contractor. U/W has come back and needs a line added to the report stating what the "as is" value would be. So to me this sounds like they want two appraisals in one report for one fee (of course). Am I incorrect when I say you need to order a new appraisal completed "as is" and I cannot just add a line to the appraisal. The u/w says we do this all the time blah blah. Is this a violation of USPAP?

Yes, my supervisor discussed it with the loan processor prior to completion. Only when it was complete and went to u/w was the "as is" value requested as a condition.

Last edited by Alyssa Stockwell : 08-16-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2009, 02:51 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Did you (or your supervisor if you're are a trainee) discuss completing an appraisal subject to repairs?

If not, you should have, so I don't really blame them at this point for wanting an "as is" report at no extra fee because "as is" was probably what they were expecting.

Yes... simply adding a line or two stating the "as is" value opinion in a summary report would probably involve several USPAP violations. That doesn't mean you can't include two opinions of value in the same report.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Stockwell View Post
Appraisal completed "subject to" with list of repairs and an estimate by a general contractor. U/W has come back and needs a line added to the report stating what the "as is" value would be...

1st, what is requested (2 opinions of value) could be communicated in a single report.

2nd, HOWEVER, merely adding a single-line statement as the second opinion of value (in your Summary Appraisal Report) is a "no-no".

Think of it this way: You understand (and, the client understands) that you could not provide a single-line statement for the first opinion of value and have it be a compliant appraisal. Thus, how could the second opinion of value communicated in such a manner constitute a compliant appraisal? The short answer: It would not be a compliant appraisal.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM

State: Connecticut

For a federally related transaction, you are REQUIRED to provide an "as is" value when your are providing a "when complete" value. You should have known this and quoted a fee that would cover all the work necessary.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Isolda View Post
For a federally related transaction, you are REQUIRED to provide an "as is" value when your are providing a "when complete" value. You should have known this and quoted a fee that would cover all the work necessary.
If it is a residential report, it is highly unlikely to be a federally related transaction.

Still, it sounds like someone failed to communicate properly with their client to develop an appropriate scope of work.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:15 PM

State: New Mexico

If you used a repair addendum there will be a place for an as repaired value.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 AM

State: North Carolina

never mind! The inbound lines have to be defined before we can engage in this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post

Still, it sounds like someone failed to communicate properly with their client to develop an appropriate scope of work.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Last edited by Carnivore : 08-16-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
If it is a residential report, it is highly unlikely to be a federally related transaction
au contrare. If it is in poor condition and needs extensive repairs, then the loan in unlikely to be going into secondary market. A regulated bank is probably making the loan and if over $250,000...it is regulated as an FRT...and they are fond of both the 'as is' value and the 'subject to' value.

In the case of a new construction the ' as is' would be the site value. In a repair situation, you likely would just use 3 similar comps.

Closed Thread