Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Big day for my Daughter tomorrow

Tomorrow morning is a big day for my twelve year old daughter. She will playing her first 18 hole golf tournament on a 5,300 yard track. Lots of bunkers, tree lined fairways, and water on a quite a few holes. She has done very well in nine hole par three events this summer, and in two on a 2,400 yard nine hole course.

Tomorrow she steps up to what is known as the State PGA Jr. Tour here in WI. It is the second highest level of four levels of competition for juniors the State PGA runs. She doesn't seem nervous, but I sure as heck am. We leave the house tomorrow morning at 5:30 am for an 8:00 am shot gun. Her Titleists are marked, her clubs are clean, her clothes are ready, and we have snacks and water ready to go. 69* and low wind at tee off. She's hitting her driver nice and straight, chipping and putting fairly well, and real solid with her short irons. I think she's going to do well.

Wish her luck whomever sees this, if you would. Thanks.

Kevin

Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 AM

State: Florida

Good luck to your daughter!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 AM

State: Nevada

Good luck to her Kevin. Those juniors are something else, some of them just amaze me at their skill level already at a young age.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Good luck Kevin-keep the rest of us hackers posted on the outcome!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM

State: Ohio

Good luck to her!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM

State: New York

Hey....Break a club....
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the good wishes.

Today was a learning experience. She did not play well, unfortunately. She did hit some good shots at times, but the long course, numerous creeks, and humidity broke her down. She lost control of her emotions about 13 holes in and it wasn't pretty from then on. Her swing deserted her and she had trouble hitting the ball up. She knows she has a lot of work to do to play as well as several of the girls her age. She didn't have the worst score, but there weren't too many behind her.

Seems like she has gotten over it already, though there were tears in the car. Now we have to decide by tomorrow if she wants to play the last two events of the year on 8/26 and 8/27.

It was a bit of a shock for her to go from the par three events where she won the season points total, had three first place finishes, two seconds, and two thirds, to playing with a girl her age that shot 93 and outhit her off the tee by 40 yards. But I think she's in it for the long run.

I'm proud of her.

Kevin
Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM

State: New York

As children grow and advance to the next level they will always run into someone who does it better...

I watched a kid who was the star player in a baseball midget league fall on his face the 1st year at the next level...( The key word here is next level). By the time he was ready to advance again he was, once again a star player...
Although I wouldn't push her into the next 2 events, I would be trying to encourage her to do it. Her nerves will be more under control as she now has some experience on this tour and she will have a better idea what to expect.

My 1st bowling tournament was a total disaster for me...As I got used to the format, more difficult lane conditions and the advent of more formidable opponents I settled down and actually won 2 titles the 2nd year I was in it...even though I had several friends who were doing these events for a while before I started I was still very nervious...It takes time to become established in these events......

Good Luck...
Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Good luck to your daughter
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
As children grow and advance to the next level they will always run into someone who does it better...

Although I wouldn't push her into the next 2 events, I would be trying to encourage her to do it. Her nerves will be more under control as she now has some experience on this tour and she will have a better idea what to expect.
I could see her become overwhelmed as we got out of the car. Lots of kids, mostly boys, mostly 16-18 year olds. Very hectic scene. As we found a place at the range to warm up, just the sound of the shots being hit byt the boys had to be intimidating to a twelve year old girl. She did not hit the ball well on the range, and that's where the trouble began. Her swing was way too long and loopy, and when I made a suggestion, (which in hindsight I shouldn't have made) she became defensive.

Later when things started to unravel, her swing reverted to what it was very early in the year and late last year. Very upright, no shoulder turn, reverse weight shift. That was the kiss of doom. You can't give advice during the tournament, so all my Wife and I could do was watch helplessly as she fought her emotions and her swing.

I would be surprised if she does not want to play the last two. They are on easier courses, and the fields will be smaller as they are so close to the start of school. It's up to her. If she decides to go for it, we plan on making a three day trip of it and take one of her friends to walk along as support. She'll like that.

Kevin

Closed Thread