Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default What would you do?

I was doing an appraisal of a REO property for a bank that had not been cleaned out yet (the property, not the bank). There was junk everywhere in the place. In the corner of the garage was a Fenwick Fly Rod in its case. I didnít take it but Iíve always wondered what happened to the fly rod. What expensive items have you come across that were going to be thrown away?
Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM

State: Florida

Bunches. But stealing is stealing no matter what the circumstance. I could make a good living off ebay and stuff left behind in REO's. I've been seriously thinking about forming a clean out company just so I could get the stuff legally.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm. Hattaway View Post
.....that were going to be thrown away?
Nothing of value gets thrown away, in most cases the cleaning company gets to keep it and they sell it on e-bay and/or garage sales.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM

State: Louisiana

I've ran across tons of stuff but nothing worth losing a client over. And trust me, if it has any value the agent and/or the trash out guy already has plans for it.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM

State: Nevada

Years ago I appraised a foreclosed property. Along the side of the house, in the dirt, was a little "Match Box" model car. It was really a cute little thing. It was outside. In the dirt. Nobody lived there. I wanted it. I took it. For the next couple of weeks everything I touched went to H***.
Now I have to tell you. I felt guilty about taking that little model car and it probably didn't have anything to do with the way things started going. But I finally took it back to the property and placed it right where I found it. Things started going better after that. And I felt better about myself.
I am not saying anything about karma or any other metaphysical condition. Just my personal experience.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seylhouwer View Post
Nothing of value gets thrown away, in most cases the cleaning company gets to keep it and they sell it on e-bay and/or garage sales.
I have a side business with crews cleaning out foreclosures (aka trash out). If there are over $300 or $500 (depending on the lender) of "personals" present we must stop and bid on storing the stuff for 30 days. Values are based on yard sale prices. The rest gets sorted out and sold via yard sale or craigslist. Vary rarely is there $300-$500 worth of good stuff.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Tools, mostly. The temptation is there but I have neven taken anything.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread