Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Will Michael Vick ever be forgiven?

It seems every time I watch or read any sports news lately there is something about Michael Vick’s return. I find the reaction of football fans to be as expected, somewhat mixed, what is surprising is the reaction of non fans who now have taken an interest and have become vocal and active, mostly extremely anti Vick. Without question, he broke the law. Dog fighting is illegal, some of his defenders have tried to draw parallels between dog fighting and cock fighting and point out that it is not illegal in some cultures and actually considered a sport in some places. Where I grew up cock fighting was certainly illegal, but not unheard of, there was a stigma associated with it, but in some circles it was considered no worse than illegal drugs or whiskey, a victimless crime if you will, except for the roosters involved. Consider what typically happens with professional athletes with they run afoul of the law, they usually pay a fine, make a few speeches to local school kids, go on Letterman or Oprah and repent, and all is well. It seems that because PETA and the SPCA have portrayed Vick to be more dangerous to society than Charles Manson, he will never get that opportunity. He has become a celebrity target. His case is certainly a rarity, he has actually served hard time and paid his debt to society, or has he? Will America forgive Michael Vick? This nation is a forgiving one and it will be interesting to watch.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 AM

State: California

Sorry, but I just can't.... I've raised and cared for all sorts of animals my whole life, and it would be no different than putting one of my sisters or a relative in the ring.....
Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Even if you can get past the actual fighting part (I cannot), what really is disgusting is all of the associated "training", including the fact that Vick pounded dogs heads into the ground until they died. The abuse wasn't limited to fighting in the ring - it was a daily event.

PETA has little sway with most of the country. They scream about everything. This was so dispicible, however, that I hope he is only forgiven if he really deserves it.

And, for the usual defenders who will scream about some other transgression not being punished as much, get over it. This has to do with Vick's particular crime, not someone else's. For some reason, when a person is punished for doing evil things to an animal, there are people who scream "but that guy got off with (insert light punishment here)". Thankfully, as far as the NFL is concerned, the current commisioner just handed down a full year's suspension so that argument will be out the door.

Vick doesn't "deserve" any second chance. Now, I will say that he appears to be legitimately sorry and seems to actually understand the problem with what he did. He doesn't seem to only care that he was caught. This could go a long way to getting him a real second chance. If he really is sorry, and really changes his life and works for good, I'm all for him getting another chance. But, he has to really earn one. Playing professional sports is a huge privilege, not a right.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

[QUOTE Will America forgive Michael Vick? This nation is a forgiving one and it will be interesting to watch.[/quote]

It doesn't matter if he is forgiven. The NFL is a business, Vick has spent more time in jail and paid more in fines than some that are convicted of killinng humans. He should be allowed to work in a business where he has proven to be very skilled. What is the alternative? Welfare for life? Or, he could go to this NEW league. However, Philadelphia has hired him. I suspect that, given the opportunity, Philadephia will rejoice! I would not seek his friendship but I would have loved to see the 49ers take him.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM

State: Pennsylvania

Screw him, he's only sorry because he got caught. How many convicted felons can go back to the same job? Not appraisers, not low life govt wonks, not anybody in banking. But in Pro sports and Hollywood, it's OK. Just put fannies in the seats.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
Screw him, he's only sorry because he got caught. How many convicted felons can go back to the same job? Not appraisers, not low life govt wonks, not anybody in banking. But in Pro sports and Hollywood, it's OK. Just put fannies in the seats.
You must be a Pittsburgh fan. LOL
Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

He is a sick POS. No one with any morals, ethics or dignity can possibly beat to death, hang or electrocute a dog and take joy in it. If the Chiefs had signed him I would have thrown out all of my hats, jerseys, jackets etc.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 PM

State: Ohio

No second chance for Vick. He got off too easy IMO.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 PM

State: Maryland

Scumbag.

Period.

End of Story.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:38 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: General Public

It's already been established that he is a proven scumbag - both by prosecution and confession. I saw in one interview that he suddenly found Jesus camping in his cell. Seems like that always happens with these low rents. Jesus is a busy guy.

Closed Thread