Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Watercooler
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Who Invented Sweet Tea

As a child (last century..or was it 2 centuries ago?) I don't recall ever ordering tea as "sweet" or "unsweet". It came without sugar and you put in whatever you wanted from a round container with a little hole on top with a flap. Then came sugar packets for places who thought people were wasting sugar - really that wasn't common til the sugar shortage about 1974.....artificial "sweetener" came in a liquid in a bottle if available at all, then came the little pink packets about the same time. Slowly over the years that has given way to the sweet/unsweet tea mix.

UP until about the mid-70s, the only place I ever recall being asked if I wanted "sweet" tea or not was in LA and E. Texas and that was hardly universal. So when did the nation embrace the notion that tea came in two flavors - sweet and unsweet? And are there any restaurants in the nation where they don't ask you if you want sweet or unsweet and still serve you unsweet and let you do your own doctoring?

Guess I am old fashion. I get tired of saying "unsweet" and further, if I wanted a ^%$# lemon slice on top I would have ordered lemonade. And what's up with these outfits that bring it with a LIME slice?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:47 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I think it finally dawned on people that sugar disolves better in a warm liquid than cold. When I make tea at home, the sugar is added before it cools off. I hate having to try to put sugar in cold tea. You wind up wasting half of it.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

I am accustomed to UNsweeted ice tea. I have forgot to mention this a couple of times in the south...and they bring me 'sugar water' tea. It was so sweet I could not drink it.

The other day I was at Panera's for lunch. A young guy got a cup of hot tea. It looks like he only filled about half the cup with hot water. He then proceeded to pour in the honey. Roughly half of the cup was honey. He came back two more times and repeated the process. I would bet he drank at least 2 measuring cups full of honey in less than an hour. They sure lost money on that cup of tea. He bought no food, just sat at this table drinking his honey and tea and playing on his computer.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Professional Status: General Public

TEL - Panera didn't lose money. You helped pay for it. :-)
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I tried honey in my tea or coffee..that sucks too. Most "sweet" tea is a way too sweet for me if i could use sugar...i have to watch my blood sugars. I sweeten with artificial when I use it and I drink both tea and coffee with and without sweetener on whim. If it is bitter I'll drink it with sweetner. If it's McDonalds, I'll sniff it until it is cool then throw it out the window and stop at a C store and get some real coffee.

Again, I am really curious when this started. Every local cafe that simply brought you tea 10 years ago now asks if you want it sweet or not. Seems to be a waste for the cafe owners as they now have 2 tea containers and you are wasting twice as much at the end of the day..
Never mind the issue that the health departments are finding one-third to one-half of lemon slices are contaminated with e. coli.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 PM

State: North Carolina

I've never given it much thought, it seems in a rural area it comes sweetened no matter how you order it, in suburbia you get a choice, in a big town if you order it sweeted they think you just fell off the turnip truck. Funny, but I can only drink tea if it's sweetened and can only drink coffee if it's black. The only tea I have problems with is the kind they serve at those inland fish camps along with the flounder buffet, they must add at least 1/4 cup of sugar for every cup of tea.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM

State: North Carolina

Terrel, as a southerner, I am a "Commonsewer" of fine ice tea. Both my grandma's made the nectar of the gods, and my mama makes a fine glass of tea. For your amusement, I remember coming home drunk as a fish one night as a high school kid, and waking up in the middle of the night parched with cotton mouth. I stumbled to the fridge to find only a mason jar of tea left. In my state, I didn't consider that my mama's tea was always in a 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon pitcher, I was thirsty, and guzzled the quart jar's contents. It was tea and sugar for a 1 gallon batch as I soon found out, shortly after I laid my head down on the pillow. Concentrated tea has a lot of caffeine, and doesn't mix well with excess quantities of beer or liquor in a teens stomach. Not only was I a sick bastid, I was a wide awake sick bastid. I still love Tea, but I don't drink from any Mason jar that I didn't see the tea run off personally.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

There is a Lebanese restaurant in Baton Rouge, LA called Sirops. Boy do they ever have great ice tea. There Lebanese tea has pine nuts in it. Reallllllly great stuff (sweet or unsweet).
Old 08-23-2009, 06:56 PM

State: Minnesota

A few years ago I bought a cast iron teapot and started buying loose leaf tea at Teavana at MOA. I drink white tea, Japanese wild cherry green tea, and Rooibos red tea mixed with black tea. Some are naturally sweet and some are not as sweet. I generally have 5-10 cups a day. Sugar in healthy tea with all those antioxidents? NOOOOOOO.

http://www.teavana.com/shop.axd/Default
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEL2002 View Post

The other day I was at Panera's for lunch. A young guy got a cup of hot tea. It looks like he only filled about half the cup with hot water. He then proceeded to pour in the honey. Roughly half of the cup was honey. He came back two more times and repeated the process. I would bet he drank at least 2 measuring cups full of honey in less than an hour. They sure lost money on that cup of tea. He bought no food, just sat at this table drinking his honey and tea and playing on his computer.
Poor dude probably had a sore throat...

Closed Thread