Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:33 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default 1004 MC "matching" URAR page 1

Greetings All,

I have been proceding with the assumption that the data on page 1 of the URAR should describe the overall (general) market area and that the MC should report on the subject's "submarket," i.e., that pool of properties that are more-or-less considered comparable to the subject. Therefore, the overall market may be stable (declinining, increasing) and the subject's submarket as documented on the MC may be going a different direction? Is the right?? Thanks for the help and feedback.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM

State: New York

the overall market may be stable (declinining, increasing) and the subject's submarket as documented on the MC may be going a different direction? Is the right?? Yes MC & Top of Page 2 reflect "properties which would compete with the subject"; Page One General / Overall (which includes "comparables").
Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

The intent of the 1004MC is to provide support for the appraiser's conclusions regarding market trends and conditions. Consequently, the checkboxes under "One-Unit Housing Trends" on the URAR are submarket specific, as is the 1004MC. Additionally, the "Market Conditions" comment section of the URAR should contain comments specific to the subject submarket. With one possible exception, the remainder of the Neighborhood Section of the URAR pertains to the entire neighborhood, not just the subject submarket.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM

State: North Carolina

You are correct in your thinking. The issue now or that has been occurring is that UW requests to have the MC match the neighborhood has caused some confusion. I have had some requests for this and have had to, basically, quote the above responses.
Try checking boxes when there are two or three sales in the past one year and the UW wants one checked!! Braaathuu
Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 PM

State: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniesumrall View Post
Greetings All,

I have been proceding with the assumption that the data on page 1 of the URAR should describe the overall (general) market area and that the MC should report on the subject's "submarket," i.e., that pool of properties that are more-or-less considered comparable to the subject. Therefore, the overall market may be stable (declinining, increasing) and the subject's submarket as documented on the MC may be going a different direction? Is the right?? Thanks for the help and feedback.
That is correct page one is for the entire market area. I've been in some area's that are overall declining, but certain subdivisions (or certain price points) have been stable.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 AM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Kirkland View Post
That is correct page one is for the entire market area.
Not quite. Rich's post has it 100% correct. Part of page 1 is for the whole area, and part is for the submarket. I have confirmed this directly with Fannie Mae.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 AM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Heyn View Post
The intent of the 1004MC is to provide support for the appraiser's conclusions regarding market trends and conditions. Consequently, the checkboxes under "One-Unit Housing Trends" on the URAR are submarket specific, as is the 1004MC.
Rich (or Danny): Under the Market Conditions comment, in the neighborhood section of page one, I think it is a great idea to include comments about the subjects' submarket, in addition to comments about market conditions in the neighborhood as a whole, but exactly where are you getting the idea that the checkboxes on page one under "One-Unit Housing Trends" on the URAR are submarket specific? How is any appraiser to infer that from the way the form is presented?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Bonafide View Post
but exactly where are you getting the idea that the checkboxes on page one under "One-Unit Housing Trends" on the URAR are submarket specific?
As I said in my last post, I got that straight from Fannie Mae.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:32 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Bonafide View Post
Rich (or Danny): Under the Market Conditions comment, in the neighborhood section of page one, I think it is a great idea to include comments about the subjects' submarket, in addition to comments about market conditions in the neighborhood as a whole, but exactly where are you getting the idea that the checkboxes on page one under "One-Unit Housing Trends" on the URAR are submarket specific? How is any appraiser to infer that from the way the form is presented?
Lloyd,

I agree that a good way to handle the Market Conditions comments section on the URAR is to start big and get smaller. In other words, begin with a discussion that may encompass the general market area, then narrow the focus to the neighborhood and finally to the submarket. Or, I suppose you could start small with the submarket and grow the discussion to reference the neighborhood and then the greater market area. Pyramid or inverted pyramid discussion, appraiser's choice.

As to how the appraiser is to infer anything from the form, I'm not sure. I'd rather see the appraiser read the communications from Fannie Mae and not have to infer anything. Have you read through announcement 08-30 and the Fannie FAQs at efanniemae.com? I'll see if I can dig up a few appropriate quotes from Fannie's instructions.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Heyn View Post
I agree that a good way to handle the Market Conditions comments section on the URAR is to start big and get smaller. In other words, begin with a discussion that may encompass the general market area, then narrow the focus to the neighborhood and finally to the submarket. Or, I suppose you could start small with the submarket and grow the discussion to reference the neighborhood and then the greater market area. Pyramid or inverted pyramid discussion, appraiser's choice.
I concur. One thing appraisers have to get over, in general, is the "need for speed" mentality. Some things just have to be explained, and simple check boxes often don't cut it.

I just finished a report Friday where I had to explain that there was an over supply in the general area, but supply and demand were in balance for homes under $200,000. Since the subject was valued at $170,000, the appropriate check box was "In Balance." Had the subject been a $325,000 home, the appropriate check box would have been "Over Supply."

Closed Thread