Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM

State: Idaho
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Unusual Condo question

I performed an appraisal on a property in a resort town in Idaho (McCall).

The property is a detached 2,000 sf single level on .44 acre.

I obtained the the legal description from the assessor which was something like "Unit 11 of Timberlost III"

The title commitment (not the public records) indicates that the subdivision was developed as a condominium project.

So....10 months after the deal has closed, an auditor from the bank is asking me to re-write the report on a 1073 (I of course originally wrote it on a 1004).

I think this makes no sense. Every dwelling in the tract is a detached SFR on at least a 1/4 acre. There are HOA due sthat maintain a golf cart path and thats it. No amenities like pool, clubhouse....the homeowners own the dwelling - not just the airspace. There is no common area.

I would like common sense to prevail, but we are dealing with mortgage lending so we know that won't happen.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Pretty ridiculous request in my opinion....
Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM

State: New York

Suggest obtaining a copy of the Prospectus, may very well be a Planned Unit Development w/ townhouses (condos) and detached SFR w/lot ownership adjacent to the Golf Course.

TIMBERLOST 1
TIMBERLOST 1 (PAR 4 SUB)
ARLISS KELLY
(208) 634-9743 Home/Cell

Comment: $75/YEAR

TIMBERLOST II
TIMBERLOST II
JIM & MARILY ARP
PO BOX 228

McCall, ID 83638

(208) 634-5833 Work
Comment: $150 7/1 TO 6/30

TIMBERLOST III
TIMBERLOST III
MARILYN ARP
(208) 634-5833 Home/Cell

C/O JIM ARP
PO BOX 228
McCall, ID 83638
Comment: $160 YEAR JULY TO JULY

TIMBERLOST IV & V
TIMBERLOST V

PAT RADER
PO BOX 2128

McCall, ID 83638

Comment: 150.00 Sept. to Sept.

TIMBERLOST VI
TIMBERLOST VI
Ray Vertrees
(208) 634-8674 Home/Cell

PO BOX 4472
McCall, ID 83638
Comment: $230 Jan - Dec for 2007 / $200.00
TRANSFER FEE

Includes Fairway Ridge & Birdie Glen Townhouses.
Please send WD when ownership changes.

Also suggest contacting CITY Building Official: Nick Nicholas
http://www.mccall.id.us/government/i...overnment.html OR

http://www.co.valley.id.us/building.htm << County

Recommend meeting >>>> Jane who most likely has copies of the prospectus for EACH Phase.
http://www.mountainlakesrealty.com/s...676detail.html

ALSO recommend obtaining a copy of the recorded DEED for the actual Legal Description.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM

There are a couple phases with townhomes...not the phase I am working in. Yes - the deed says condominium.

I still question how appropriate it is to write an appraisal for a detached SFR on .44 acres on a form 1073. In my mind it is a bit misleading (which of course USPAP frowns upon).
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM

State: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
I performed an appraisal on a property in a resort town in Idaho (McCall).

The property is a detached 2,000 sf single level on .44 acre.

I obtained the the legal description from the assessor which was something like "Unit 11 of Timberlost III"

The title commitment (not the public records) indicates that the subdivision was developed as a condominium project.

So....10 months after the deal has closed, an auditor from the bank is asking me to re-write the report on a 1073 (I of course originally wrote it on a 1004).

I think this makes no sense. Every dwelling in the tract is a detached SFR on at least a 1/4 acre. There are HOA due sthat maintain a golf cart path and thats it. No amenities like pool, clubhouse....the homeowners own the dwelling - not just the airspace. There is no common area.
I have seen similar condo projects in the Lake Geneva area. It is not that uncommon for resort areas where properties are often "second homes" or vacation properties and thus the owners, not wanting to be burdened with maintenance, etc, often prefer condos but wanting to maintain the SF nature go for the detached SF-type of condo/PUD development with HOA & fees.

Yep, its a condo, but I could see arguing for the SF form due to individual basements and lot rights. Form 1073 would basically require use of selectable areas for lot size & basement size/type/finish.

Good luck! (and see Mike's post above)

Being a fee appraiser is like being unemployed and constantly looking for work.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I still question how appropriate it is to write an appraisal for a detached SFR on .44 acres on a form 1073. In my mind it is a bit misleading (which of course USPAP frowns upon).
But it is a CONDO of the type SF-Detached (or SFC for Single Family Condo if you prefer). I have seen quite a few Duplex Condos as well, all detached except for the twin/pair (probably the most common type here after mid-rise, and followed by Quadplex condos).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Condo Form Sample.jpg (83.7 KB, 11 views)

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
There are a couple phases with townhomes...not the phase I am working in. Yes - the deed says condominium.

It's a condo--it's a SF detached dwelling. It's two, two, two units in one. Misleading to complete an appraisal of a condo on a condo form? Gotta explain that one.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM

State: New York

Willy - who owns the lot?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Fine....
is it important to know the parking ratio for this property? Yes (solo on 1004)
The # of owner occupied units? Yes (always applicable)
Guest parking? Yes (some may have "no parking on grass regs, etc)
An entity owning more than 10% of the project? Yes (remember, phase / project NOT SF ownership)
Commercial space? Yes (probably one of the more important if tied to a golf course or resort building)
Converted from an existing building? In some cases maybe (sometimes older structures get incorporated)
Adequacy of parking facilities? Often less of a problem, but yes.
Are the units separately metered? Answer is usually "yes" rather than "N/A"

How many ** times do I need to put "NA" on the form before it becomes obvious that this form wasn't designed for this type of property?
You say "Not Applicable" I say "Quite Probable". Not Applicable, Quite Probable, Potato, Potato, let's call the whole thing off!

(couldn't resist the musical interlude especially when I substitued "quite probably" instead of "Yes")

Bottom line is that it may well be applicable and many of your peers use the 1073 for Duplex condos as well as SF detached condos. I only recently heard of appraisers using 1004's for some condos!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM

I think I've got this figured out how to make this right in my mind:

Old 10-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZwerg View Post
You say "Not Applicable" I say "Quite Probable". Not Applicable, Quite Probable, Potato, Potato, let's call the whole thing off!

(couldn't resist the musical interlude especially when I substitued "quite probably" instead of "Yes")

Bottom line is that it may well be applicable and many of your peers use the 1073 for Duplex condos as well as SF detached condos. I only recently heard of appraisers using 1004's for some condos!

So if you were appraising this property and it was NOT a condo, would you put in your addendum that the subject property had zero elevators and then disclose the number of owner occupants in the subject's plat?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread