Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:13 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Elevation/ 3d views

Randy,

Thanks for being on this forum.

I was wondering if there is a way for us to view the drawings in 3d or elevation?

my guess is no.

the reason I'm asking is I am writing a class on blueprint reading for appraisers and would like some symbols ie toilets in Elevation

thanks
Ray
Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Ray,

Can you email me some more descriptive commentary on the use you envision? Apex has long had a provision for the Z axis required for 3D inside and some customers use a sort of "2.5D" function - show the sketch from above or "plan" mode, but output calculations for items like wall area, volume, etc. to their specialized software. Our experience is that DRAWING in 3D bogs most appraiser/inspectors down due to the nature of the "order of magnitude" higher requirements for creating the components (walls, doors, windows, etc.) in the sketch - they generally want to just quickly sketch the walls with some default settings for things and view/calculate things. It would be simple enough to add the windows ("view ports") to see elevations for components (again, walls, symbols, etc.) as needed - time consuming, but simple. The tough part is determining just what you want to see (understand why) and how you want to select, then show, print, export, etc. those items.

For clarification, we do have a "module" for extrusion which we supply to other industries, but then that is tailored for their specific needs. So the big question for making a "3D module" available to appraisers is more along the lines of "Is this something (enough) appraisers would find useful so we could put the effort into tailoring it for this market in the (say) next release, a module, or whatever. If it is just to have a 3D view of (say) Symbols while selecting them, that is another matter which could be done without deploying very much of the 3D or extrusion code into the appraiser products, but from reading your post I think you have more in mind (?)...

Please advise. My email address is spelled out: rgarrett [at] apexwin [dot] com I am happy to share the results of our off-line discussions with the forum, but I think that the geeky part is too much for the average reader to want to follow here. They generally just want to know when it is available, what it does, why it would be valuable to them and what, if anything, it costs, LOL.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 10-12-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks Randall.

I will be in touch.

I did not know that Apex/ Medina has a Z provision. (another function that I did not know to use with Medina.) Would be interested in learning how.

I know and understand that most appraisers don't need/want a lot more of options, and I will say that most of my clients could care less, also. I have a back ground in design with auto-cad and architecture.

I know that Apex is not intended to be an "auto-cad" program. And as my mentor/ business partner keeps telling me that I tend to over think the drawings. ( ok, the colorful comments have been deleted). (ha ha) What got me started on this tangent was I was looking for a elevation/section view of a couple stairs... the U turn and spiral stairs to show for my class I'm developing.

Thanks

-Ray
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Ray,

With that additional feedback, I think I have a better understanding of what you are envisioning. Looking forward to your email!

Point of clarification: When I say the program "has the provision" I mean in the structure, not that a particular user can "see" it. If you have the regular Fee Appraiser version, I don't think you see a dialog where you can enter a Z axis value. Other versions can, however - on the Assessor version, for example, the Define Area dialog has a field labeled as "wall height" which is used for wall area calculations used by some assessment offices for their cost approach routines (see image.) In other versions, "height" is used for other items, as well.

Since you say you are comfortable with CAD stuff, do you need/want CAD vector file import, etc?

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Ray,

Is the image below similar to what you are envisioning? I just selected a Symbol at random - it could just as easily been stairs, or whatever. This is an example of "2.5D"... If you are looking for more "solid model" type stuff with shading, textures, orbit, etc., then that is closer to real 3D and is a different level altogether.

Please advise so I know how to help.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 09-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Randall,

That is great... Thanks

Ray
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Glad to help, Ray.

BTW, I am back from overseas travelling now, but will be in CO for a few days next week... not sure where (these days, I pretty much just go where they tell me, LOL), but if it is anywhere close and you want to chat, maybe we can meet for dinner, a drink, or whatever.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Randall,

Thanks, I would like to meet you... my week is open lets set it up.

Ray.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread