Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Are Guidelines to Restrictive?

Are Guideline by the GSE's and lenders in regards to appraisals too restrictive? and are they having an impact on values due to their restrictiveness?

If a lender states the appraiser must use sales within 90 days or 6 months or 12 months and will not accept sales over these guidelines, then does this lead to a potentially misleading report?

If there are 3 ABSOLUTELY COMPARABLE SALES but all exceed the lender/ GSE requirements in terms of distance or date of sale, does the appraiser do a disservice by using "the best comparables available for comparison which meet the lender/ client guidelines"? Especially if the use of these "within lender requirements" sales greatly differ from what the value opinion would be if the ABSOLUTELY COMPARABLE SALES were used?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 AM

State: Ohio

You just have to explain, explain, explain. Kind of like qualitative vs quantitative adjustments and analysis, underwriting and GSE's can't understand those either.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM

State: California

The guidelines are for reporting purposes. Do the appraisal without regard to "guidelines." Then explain the variances.

Appraise first (SR1), report second (SR2). Get it? 1 then 2. One, Two.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 AM

State: New York

William are you referring to arbitrary AMC or MB instructions? GSE, FHA, & VA guidelines all accept variances from "standard" time, distance, gla, etc factors when necessary - with detailed analysis. Re "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" suggest more recent comps (in your case C4, 5, & 6 being the least similar and adjusted for their dissimiliarity) and the "3 Perfect" as C1, 2, 3. If least similar C4, 5, and/or 6 are RADICALLY dissimilar - suggest reporting them in Comments ONLY with discussion as to why it would be misleading to include them in SCA (close the door behind you methodology).

To further support that procedure it is wise to copy and paste "comparable selection" guidelines highlighting ACCEPTABLE Variances when necessary applicable to each assignment IN THE REPORT Directly under the SCA GRID - not on an addendum - and do it in BOLDFACE.

I agree that NOT utilizing 3 MOST credible comps to appease a Lender or AMCs unsupported and erroneous restriction on comp selection would indeed be intentionally misleading resulting in a clearly less than Credible appraisal.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM

State: California

The lender always has the option to reject the appraisal report no matter what the guidelines they use say.

Inactive markets represent higher risk.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post
... Especially if the use of these "within lender requirements" sales greatly differ from what the value opinion would be if the ABSOLUTELY COMPARABLE SALES were used?

If the appraiser arrives at a different opinion of value based upon what set of data the appraiser is analyzing, something is wrong.

I suppose that I could report and analyze (as best I could) a set of sales (note that I did not state "comparable" sales) in response to a client request that such be included.

HOWEVER, I am the one who weights the data...I can always decide (and so report, being certain to explain the reason that such data are included) that I do not rely upon any such data in arriving at the opinion of value.

Frankly, if the client raises such a request from the level of a "guideline" to a "requirement", I could also elect to decline the assignment.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM

I think your missing my question. I'm not working on a report. I understand the whole "Explain, explain, explain", I understand differences in Guidelines which are Guidelines and Guideline-Requirements which can not be broken.

I ran across a scenario where I obtained a copy of an appraisal report which was completed in this case under FHA requirements. The 3 best comparables were over 12 months old (this is without question and was commented on by the appraiser), so the appraiser then used the Best comparables in accordance with applicable guidelines even though these sales were not as near comparable as the older sales and resulted in a significantly lower value range. The sales over 12 months old CAN NOT be relied upon due to guidelines even though they were the best indicators.

So I began thinking can guidelines be so restrictive to affect a value conclusion?

As an example an appraiser starts their search for comparables in a given market by proximity within 1 mile, same style, within 1 year. If they find sales within this criteria they further reduce till the most similar are being used.
However, what if 1.1 miles away and 13 months old there were 3 comparable sales which were identical to the subject requiring not a single adjustment but they were not considered because of exceeding lender/ client requirements- guidelines.

Are the lender/ client guidelines- requiremnts so restrictive that they could affect the value conclusion?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM

State: North Dakota
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

If the best comparables are all over 12 months old, I'd use them anyway and explain why. It's a disservice to our clients to use newer sales if they are not the best available. Any good quality client will understand why if we explain up front.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM

If something is a "guideline", it is just that: a "guideline".

Only a competent and ethical appraiser, working free of serious error, can develop and communicate a credible appraisal.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM

State: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by William K View Post
Are the lender/ client guidelines- requiremnts so restrictive that they could affect the value conclusion?
Only if an Appraiser permits them to be.

Closed Thread