Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 AM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default 1004mc

I have a lender that is insisting I fill out the shaded area on the 1004MC form regarding prior active listings. It is not available through our MLS which I have stated in the report. They are adamant that I obtain this information and enter it in the report. Any advice - please.....
Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 AM

State: Florida

This is the statement I put in the 1004D concerning the shaded area,

"The Mid Florida Regional Multiple Listing Service (MLS) has issued a statement that its data does not provide a reliable search for 'active' listings within a historical time period, therefore, the shaded portions of the above grid were not completed."

You can't fill in numbers that don't exsist. Good luck with the lender.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Default 1004mc

Thanx! - I have a similar comment - but thats not good enough - they are insisting I fill in the shaded areas. Ugggh
Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 AM

State: Tennessee

Our MLS system does not provide that kind of data either. However, some clients have told me that the majority of appraisers in our area have obtained third-party software that allows for analysis of data downloaded from the MLS.

We use the SMART system, which allows one to complete all of the 1004MC very easily. There are also several good solutions based on Excel spreadsheets.

Some clients in our area will not accept 1004MCs without all the fields filled in. Their position is that if enough of your peers have software that allows the form to be filled in, then you should as well.

My advice would be to talk to other appraisers in the area and see what they are using to help complete the 1004MC.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

I'll tell you where they get the numbers...PFA.......
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Greg

You are correct. I confronted one of our local appraisers as the info *was* filled out on a review I was doing. I asked how the information was obtained and was told "it came from his professional educated knowledge"
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
I'll tell you where they get the numbers...PFA.......
Some are, but many are using third-party software.

As I said, we use SMART. It is a great market analysis tool. It does far more than just analyze the data to fill in the 1004MC grid. We use it for all appraisals, not just those requiring the MC form.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMARTExample (Small).jpg (12.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 AM

I have received several PMs asking for links.

Here is a link regarding SMART

http://www.thebestfnma1004mcsoftware.info/

Here is one for a a good Excel-based solution

http://appraisalnewsonline.typepad.com/appraisal_news_for_real_e/2009/04/software-review-automate-your-1004mc-data-research-with-total-solution-1004mc.html

You might also want to check out the free spreadsheet that George Hatch devloped. You can find it as a sticky in the Fannie Mae subforum.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:47 AM

State: New York

Fannie 1004MC Q&A Update Nov 2008 Pg 1 of 6.

3. What if requested data is not available to the appraiser? For example, what if comparable active listings from a previous time period are not available?
If the appraiser is unable to complete a portion of the addendum because data is unavailable or unreliable, the appraiser must provide an explanation of his or her efforts to obtain such data and why it is not available. Simply stating "not applicable" or "N/A" is not an acceptable response.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 AM

State: Virginia

Are you using MRIS Caitlyn Stuart?

Per Fannie Mae's 1004MC Q&A: "What if requested data is not available to the appraiser? For example, what if comparable active listings from a previous time period are not available? If the appraiser is not able to complete a portion of the addendum because data, such as historical listing data, is not available or unreliable, the appraiser must provide an explanation of his or her efforts to obtain such data and why it is not available. Simply stating "not applicable" or "N/A" without an explanation is not an acceptable response..."

MRIS has issued a statement that "Matrix does not allow a search for active homes during an historical time period". Thus the shaded portions of the above grid were not completed. This is per Fannie Mae's published Appraisal and Property Report Policies and Forms Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (updated March 2009). See FAQ#3

Closed Thread