Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM

State: Alabama
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Only successful busy appraisers need comment.

While my title is somewhat sarcastic I truely only want to hear from those appraisers that are finding business in this wacky economy. I have read sad and irate comments from appraisers on various forums and while it is sometimes nice to co-miserate with others I don't find it very productive. I am really wanting to pick the brains of those appraisers that are successful and busy. I have a family to feed and if I can learn something from someone that can help me be a busier and more successful appraiser I would be very happy. Specifically I would like to know where they are getting their business and how they got it. I hope this helps others as well. Sometimes we get in a rut with the things we are doing (and how we are doing them) and need fresh ideas from other successful people in our business. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM

State: California

I will definitely subscribe to your thread.....
Old 11-03-2009, 11:34 AM

State: New York

Suggesting spending any free time seeking answers ...>>>

http://appraisersforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM

State: Alabama

Mike,
I will definately read these posts, thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 AM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Here's a few comments:
  1. Specialize - An appraiser that does the work everyone else can do is competing against everyone with a license. An appraiser that specializes might be competing against a handful of appraisers, or less.
  2. Diversify - Need I say more?...just read the daily complaints on the forum.
  3. Get your General Certification - Most residential appraisers have no idea how much residential work they are losing to CGs. Many larger projects involve a mix of residential and commercial properties. The client will go to the firm/appraiser that does both, and the residential shop/appraiser will never see those residential assignments. This isn't some occasional occurrence either; it makes up a significant portion of my work.
  4. Marketing - Marketing does not consists of filling out and emailing a form. Meet people in person, tell them you are sending information and follow up, etc.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 AM

State: Texas

I learned the hard way years ago that you can't have all your eggs in one basket. I volunteered for field review assignments back when the fees were still good and made new business relationships with people other that mortgage brokers and AMC's. I do REO appraisals for Fannie Mae and REO companies. I do field reviews for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. I do divorce appraisals. I always return calls from individuals seeking appraisals and RE agents needing appraisals. I still keep my foot in the door with AMC's and cherry pick their orders with assignments where I feel I will not lose too much money doing the assignments. I am not as busy as I used to be or making as much money as I used to make, but I am surviving still.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM

State: Tennessee

To add to what David and Tim said: regardless of what tack you take to expand your marketing, we're in an era in which excellent client service and communication are essential. The reason AMCs clamor for status is that many appraisers forget or refuse to communicate information about the progress of an appraisal. As a lender in the refinance boom of the mid 1980's, I can tell you that there is nothing more frustrating than trying to move a loan through the process when an appraiser refuses to respond or says, in essence, "You'll get it when you get it" or some such.

There's just not enough work around to do anything other than to meet the expectations of clients for completing an assignment.

And, as a professional group that seems to attract a lot of people with less than stellar interpersonal skills (as evidenced to a certain extent by some of the exchanges in this forum) many appraisers can be curt to the point of rudeness and abrupt in their (mis-) handling of people. Pleasant professionalism - and maybe a little humor - can be a catalyst for future business. We can lose clients over not hitting a number, and feel that we still did what we were ethically required to do: we ought to work to not lose them because we come across as jerks.

Perhaps I should go take that Fred Carnegie course about business interaction.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM

State: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horn View Post
While my title is somewhat sarcastic I truely only want to hear from those appraisers that are finding business in this wacky economy. I have read sad and irate comments from appraisers on various forums and while it is sometimes nice to co-miserate with others I don't find it very productive. I am really wanting to pick the brains of those appraisers that are successful and busy. I have a family to feed and if I can learn something from someone that can help me be a busier and more successful appraiser I would be very happy. Specifically I would like to know where they are getting their business and how they got it. I hope this helps others as well. Sometimes we get in a rut with the things we are doing (and how we are doing them) and need fresh ideas from other successful people in our business. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Sorry,

I am too busy and successful to comment

Just kidding. But, I believe that the key is communication, communication, and communication. Also, I am always looking for new clients while keeping existing clients informed. I do some teaching. That is good advertising. I attend Realtor events. I go back and talk to clients I have not heard from in awhile.

And, I have seen lot's of good advice from others as well on this thread.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 PM

State: Vermont

Network.

Get out and meet lawyers, CPAs, financial planners and dare I say.....real estate agents and brokers!

Go to your local Realtor board meetings and luncheons (I bet you'll be one of a very few if not the only appraiser). Realtors have gotten me thru the ugly times with rush orders and wacky complex assignments (high fee).

Bankruptcy rate is up, Divorce rate is up, FSBO listings are up....the work is out there, you just have to go and get it.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Improve Improve improve.

improve: Your creditials get Certified & Designations: attend more than the required CE classes.

improve: Your connections to the community volunteer attend functions. Real Estate & appraisal chapters

Improve: Your cliental Don't have all your "eggs" in one basket but be sure to replace the less crediable clients.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread