Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Didn't see this coming.NAR & THEIR OWN AVM'S & DATA BASE

http://www.futureofrealestatemarketi...y-in-a-big-way
The NAR has taken over certain technology assets of Cyberhomes from LPS (formerly known as FNRES) in order to bring its RPR (Realtors Property Resource) project, as well as its consumer-facing play, HouseLogic, to market. To do this, they have created Realtors Property Resource, LLC – a wholly owned subsidiary of the NAR.
This is huge. A national database of over 140 million property records – eventually enhanced by property status (on or off market) data from MLSes around the country. A suite of tools built to allow Realtors to access and share this data with their clients. Even a stab at knocking off those pesky computer-generated Zestimates with a new RVM or “Realtor Valuation Model”.
This is huge. Rob Hahn, calls it a “Coming Civil War” and a shot across the bow at the local MLSes — and it’s certainly is a bold move.
But ultimately RPR is an attempt (last-ditch?) for NAR to stay relevant to its membership – since the savviest of them have long been questioning the need for a national association.
Consumers can find reams of property data on any number of real estate search sites these days. Brokers and agents have a number of low-cost tools at their disposal to build a rich and compelling online experience. And most importantly these two groups can now connect in much more meaningful ways through social media.
As Jim Duncan, writing on Agent Genius, succinctly put it; “NAR recognized the need to be competitive“.
But frankly, I will be happily surprised, if the NAR/RPR can out innovate the innovators. While they have assembled quite a team behind the project, I worry that a monolithic enterprise like this will ultimately be doomed by legislative paralysis.

For NAR/RPR to truly take a run displacing the current status quo – they need to adopt the mindset of their free-market competitors. Do something really disruptive. Here’s a few ideas:
  1. “Powered by NAR” – Build an API that will let engineers across the country to piggyback off of this data mine and build a thousand variations of the HouseLogic interface. Ask only for reciprocal link and acknowledgment of the source.
  2. Offer a challenge like the Netflix Prize – A $1 million prize for the team that can take the base RVM algorithm and improve it.
  3. Go open source – take a subset of the Cyberhomes code and release it to the world under a GNU General Public License – let the developers go wild and help improve the experience for all.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM

State: Maryland

garbage in-garbage out

Improvement size 2,500sf (buyer to verify)
Lot size 25,500sf (buyer to verify)
3 bedroom/2.25 bath (buyer to verify)
Clear title (buyer to verify)
Infinity...
Old 11-09-2009, 06:22 PM

I believe the model is called Zillow.

The NAR does not have credibility. Local MLS data gets fed to NAR and they generate distorted statistics with it.

The one application and the one intended user are the AMCs that have non-local review appraisers and they need local MLS data with out joining each local MLS.

However, I am not shaking in my boots over NAR offering this. It will not replace Sandicor (San Diego county MLS) as the source for appraisers and Realtors.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM

The Realtor site now looks like a home search site for current listings.

It also has an AVM. The AVM isn't worth squat.

Last edited by Randolph Kinney : 11-09-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

As I have said before, the NAR would like to put appraisers as a separate profession out of business and reestablish the omnipotent Broker as the giver of all values...under the NARs thumb, of course.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:53 AM

State: Texas

Zillow had me paying $68,000 more for my own home than I did. Realquest had me paying $72,300 more than I did. My wife even sent en email this morning from Yahoo for house values for our area and it compared to 35 yr old homes that are 1/2 the value of ours (ours is 10 yrs. old) and did not take into consideration that we now have a pool.

Where will it end? Lenders DEPENDING on this type info. to MAKE LOANS. Geeeees.

Then they want an appraisal to find out the REAL market value (???????) After the fact (ha)...only because they got what they deserve and now want help getting out from under it all.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I was honestly wondering what the hell is taking them so long to start assembling their data. But as others have so eloquently put it here, that data is usually very questionable, and always filtered with those rose-colored glasses.
About the NAR making the data 'available'? Fuhgettaboutit........I would be shocked.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Think about justifying to your membership why they are paying all that money to NAR, other than lobbying the US Congress, what do they get?

Now, they get referrals from the national web site when anyone looks up a property or addresses or listings. It also contains 140 million homes as a database.

NAR is transforming itself to make more money and not from only the membership.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM

State: Florida

I am surprised by this only because I hadn't thought of this happening.

As for the accuracy of the information, the agents can over ride, but, while putting a listing into the system there is a lot of information auto populated from the public records. In Central FL, MLS is tied into IMAPP public records which contains things such as lot sizes (although not dimensions), census data, flood zone info, etc. I don't know if includes zoning but that is available online. If agents let the computer do the work this could be a lot more accurate/reliable than people are giving it credit for.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread