Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 AM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Exclamation Short-sale appraisal fraud to be 2010 story?

Over the past several months I have noticed three trends:

1) MLS listings for Short-sales with "Seller has an option to purchase" included in the details.

2) MLS listings for short-sales with "Seller desires to rent this property".

3) Evidence that appraisers are discussing value with short-sellers.

I can't get my head fully around the twists and turns of how a short-seller can purchase his own property in a short-sale, but a crooked appraisal obviously greases that chute. And I can sense that a crooked appraisal would greatly help a short-seller/renter and a short-buyer/investor. The invitation for appraiser corruption is dripping with sweet and gooey.

Some of my recent appraisals have been to assist lenders in decision-making after they receive short-offers on their collateral. In some cases the sellers mention "another appraiser was here......you're the second appraiser". And it is only a few sentences later when the sellers announce that the first appraiser told the sellers what value the appraiser would report. Stunning.

Thus, I predict that 2010's biggest real estate appraisal story will be appraisal fraud associated with short-sales.

And your predictions?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM

State: Colorado

I just recently saw similar verbiage in a listing here in Denver. Should be interesting to see what happens. One thing's for sure, there will be more distressed propertes comin down the pike.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM

State: California

I'm not an economist but it appears that the institutional impact on real estate markets precludes the use of the term "market value" in an appraisal.

Short-sales and REO-owned properties comprise approximately 90% of virtually every market I have encountered in the past 6 months. Consequently, the supply-demand ratio is convoluted by lenders' shadow inventories; and the duress of impending foreclosure contradicts the classical definition of MV.

One thing seems certain: The large proportion of short sales that are pending foreclosure portends significant downward pressure on value.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
I predict that 2010's biggest real estate appraisal story will be appraisal fraud associated with short-sales
In the early 1980s, Farmer's Home Administration (FmHA) loans to farmers were going sour right and left. Typewriter salesmen who became instant dairy farmers (the guidelines was supposed to limit loans to genuine farmers but did no such thing) became bad debts rapidly. I know of one foreclosure auction where FmHA sold a property back to the occupant for about 50% of what he owed FmHA. He hadn't even paid interest on most of the loan. Farmers who had made interest payments but couldn't pay on the principal were outraged but couldn't do anything about it but complain. So FmHa created a program to write down the loans to current land values (which had plunged in my area by about 1/3rd). My typewriter salesman/slash neighbor i mentioned above, took it up after he and his wife split. She got nothing. He got a windfall, bought a cadillac convertable, found him a blonde, and proceeded to divide the farm up into 5 and 10 acre tracts. Sold them for a huge profit, which he was supposed to split with FmHA under the write down agreement. From all appearances, he did none of it. Moved on to a big farm in Oklahoma and retired....nice work if you can get it...all paid for by the taxpayers of America.
What you describe is business as usual. I would not expect anything bad to come of it.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:02 PM

We predicted this would happen (or something like it) 3 years ago. We were on the rear patio discussing how bad the fall out was going to be, and someone said "Just watch...the same brokers and agents as well as crooked lenders will all be requesting low values so they can reap the profits amongst themselves, family and friends. I'm sure an aerial view would show a large number of appraisers jumping the fence scrambling to the other side, like chameleons now focusing on how to facilitate the new artificial markets. But then came along the HVCC and a whole new layer of corruption emerged. Initially we thought working for AMCs would bring some sort of stability, offering less pay, but better working conditions, and the no influence aspects would create a better, more ethical client base for most appraisers, in turn creating a more sound lending environment, however, and without a doubt, it has failed beyond Andy's wildest schemes.

My first short sale with an AMC (in this market) came back with a request to only use short sale comps in my report? Translation.... please lower the value. The agents were screaming bloody murder.. "Your killing the deal, you don't know what you doing, he doesn't know the area" (less than 3 miles from my office), etc, etc., and everyone from the underwriter, buyer, seller, both agents, and the AMC chimed in with the comparables I should be using. Although I did get paid for my appraisal, and the AMC concurred with my value, the consequence was no more work. Can't have appraisers out there killing deals? I submit to all of you...How is this any different from having a loan broker ordering an appraisal?

Fast-forward to last week, the exact same short-sale scenario with a different AMC has presented itself.... I could swear I was talking to the exact same people. We are sitting in a cesspool of fraud and corruption that has turned my livelihood into an unemployment line. I keep trying to jump start my business with new AMCs, but they don't seem to last very long. I only have a few left that still like my work, but aren't willing to pay for it, nor are they willing to wait an extra day for a more complete report. So my crystal ball and 25+ years of experience tells me that I innocently/unknowingly chose the wrong profession. I'm in my 50's now, still hard working, but looking for a more reliable source of income.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZGAMAZZ View Post
I'm not an economist but it appears that the institutional impact on real estate markets precludes the use of the term "market value" in an appraisal.

Short-sales and REO-owned properties comprise approximately 90% of virtually every market I have encountered in the past 6 months. Consequently, the supply-demand ratio is convoluted by lenders' shadow inventories; and the duress of impending foreclosure contradicts the classical definition of MV.
I see big trouble ahead....
Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM

State: Florida

While I think the number of short sales will increase dramatically (banks are finally figuring they get a higher net proceed then with foreclosure) I don't think fraud will be more extensive.

Since the seller can be on the hook for a def. judgment I can't see what their motiviation would be. To the best of my knowledge most lien holders are conducting multiple BPO's and/or appraisals. I just can't believe too many games can be played.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:53 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Farr View Post
Thus, I predict that 2010's biggest real estate appraisal story will be appraisal fraud associated with short-sales.

And your predictions?
You may be correct in your prediction. My prediction is that no one will care about this any more than they cared about all the fraud leading up to this point. The government will say a lot of things, do very few things, markets will eventually normalize, and 20 years we'll do it all over again.

Personally I plan to be better positioned, next time.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:17 PM

The AMC that I do most of my work for includes a statement in the engagement letter that additional data might be required if the opinion of value differs by more than xxxx% from the BPO.

I've never received a request for additional information/comps/etc.

Does that mean that my opinions are similar to the BPO's?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

I'm just glad to hear that lenders are having appraisals done as part of the short sale. I thought that many or most lenders were only using BPOs to establish values on their short sales, and that really invites fraud, when the listing broker does the BPO, and comes in with a ridiculously low-priced value.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread