Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 AM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default No Bedrooms, FHA

• Subject is a 3 level split, built 1970
  • No bedrooms above grade
  • Basement has two bedrooms
  • Basement bedroom window sills exceed FHA basement bedroom classification requirement for "Below grade valuation" ("Windowsill may not be greater than 44") (3-3 4150.2) ATTACHED
    • Then there is a disclaimer to use reasonable judgement.
  • Sale. FHA.
  • Basement bedroom windows are daylight, large and meet the other two requirements defined by FHA
Secondary info:Subject market time is typical for market
  • Last sale in 2003 market time was typical for market
  • I've determined adjustment for the basement bedrooms based on two measurements
    • Looked at the sale in 2003 to determine the market reaction at that time
    • Looked at the very few similar sales with only below grade bedrooms, outside the subject's market (with appropriate adjustments).
    • Both of these indicate a similar adjustment
Help me work this out. Do I state this as a 0-Bedroom Above grade property with 2-bedrooms below grade, and clearly note that the basement bedroom window sills do not meet the FHA critera spelled out in 4150.2 section 3-3. Note that the market appears to accept this property as a 2-bedroom below grade property. Note the cost to cure?

Or am I missing something here? Off base?

I will be out of the office for the next 2 hours, but appreaciate all comments/feedback.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HUDManual.pdf (14.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by CJ1234 : 02-11-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correction of typo
Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1234 View Post
  • Subject is a 3 level split, built 1970
  • No bedrooms above grade
  • Basement has two bedrooms
  • Basement bedroom window sills exceed FHA basement bedroom classification requirement for "Below grade valuation" ("Windowsill may not be greater than 44") (3-3 4150.2) ATTACHED
    • Then there is a disclaimer to use reasonable judgement.
  • Sale. FHA.
  • Basement bedroom windows are daylight, large and meet the other two requirements defined by FHA
Secondary info:Subject market time is typical for market
  • Last sale in 2003 market time was typical for market
  • I've determined adjustment for the basement bedrooms based on two measurements
    • Looked at the sale in 2003 to determine the market reaction at that time
    • Looked at the very few similar sales with only below grade bedrooms, outside the subject's market (with appropriate adjustments).
    • Both of these indicate a similar adjustment
Help me work this out. Do I state this as a 0-Bedroom Above grade property with 2-bedrooms below grade, and clearly note that the basement bedroom window sills do not meet the FHA critera spelled out in 4150.2 section 3-3. Note that the market appears to accept this property as a 2-bedroom below grade property. Note the cost to cure?

I will be out of the office for the next 2 hours, but appreaciate all comments/feedback.

Tell it like it is, as it appears, you are on top of the situation.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM

BRCJR--Thank you.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:52 PM

State: New York

Note that the market appears to accept this property as a 2-bedroom below grade property. Note the cost to cure?

If so (as demonstrated by comparables with similar Layout, Utility, Appeal and Buyer Acceptance), there is no C2C for Functional Utility. (Fannie/Freddie)

However:

FHA / Gross Living Area
Room design and count should reflect local custom. A dining area built as an L-shape off the kitchen may or may not be considered a room depending on the size.
To determine whether one or two rooms should be counted, hypothetically insert a wall to separate the two areas that have been built as one: if the residents can use the resulting two rooms with the same or more utility without increased inconvenience, count the room as two. If the hypothetical wall would result in a lack of utility and increased inconvenience, count the room as

4150.2 1/06 D- 27

one. The room count typically includes a living room (LR), dining room (DR), kitchen (KT), den (DN), recreation room (REC) and one or more bedrooms (BR). Typically, the foyer, bath and laundry room are not counted as rooms. A room is a livable area with a specific use.

Room Count and Gross Living Area Field Protocol

Finished area above grade contains
To complete this section, enter the total number of above grade rooms, the total number of bedrooms above grade, and the total number of bathrooms above grade. Do not include foyers, basement finished rooms or unfinished attic space.
• Calculate square footage by using exterior dimensions.
• Enter the total square footage of the gross living area above grade.

* you are the Appraiser in YOUR market.

Last edited by Mike Kennedy : 02-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
Note that the market appears to accept this property as a 2-bedroom below grade property. Note the cost to cure?

If so (as demonstrated by comparables with similar Layout, Utility, Appeal and Buyer Acceptance), there is no C2C for Functional Utility.
Thank you Mike Kennedy. That's what I was thinking, so I'm glad there is a second opinion. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM

State: Other Non-US

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1234 View Post
<....snip......> Note that the market appears to accept this property as a 2-bedroom below grade property. Note the cost to cure?

I'd like to read three to seven paragraphs as to how you arrived at a cost to cure with all your support for it... Right after you explain what is being cured.

P.S. or I agree with Brother Kennedy...
Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM

State: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbed Feet View Post
I'd like to read three to seven paragraphs as to how you arrived at a cost to cure with all your support for it... Right after you explain what is being cured.

What could the cost possibly be to slide four bumper jacks under that thing and jack it all above grade? Or a back hoe to dig the entire thing out might be cheaper? Balloons?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:12 PM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hicks (Texas) View Post
What could the cost possibly be to slide four bumper jacks under that thing and jack it all above grade? Or a back hoe to dig the entire thing out might be cheaper? Balloons?
Those were my thoughts as well--or possibly the reduction in value arising from only marketing to dyslexics--when they're downstairs they think they're upstairs--makes no difference to them!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbed Feet View Post

This is what I've been struggling over. "Right after you explain what is being cured" ---Thanks. I think I was just floundering there for a moment.

I have about 10 sales in the area (not in the actual city, but in competing markets) over the last two years which show market times in line with their specific markets. I also have the data from the subject's last sale, where the market time was well within the standard for the market.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
Those were my thoughts as well--or possibly the reduction in value arising from only marketing to dyslexics--when they're downstairs they think they're upstairs--makes no difference to them!!!
LOL.

We've had a few oddball properties lately...All sales. In this market, why are people buying the oddballs?!?!?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread