Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Apex 3 & 4 on Win 7 64?

I cut this from another thread. I have avoided switching to Win 7 64 mostly because I have heard that Apex 4 wont run on it. I know APEX would like for me to buy Medina, but I REALLY like APEX 4, and know it like the back of my hand.
Quote:
I have a Windows 7 64 bit computer that was not compatible with my APEX 3 and it would cost me $179 to upgrade, so I was looking around for other software besides ACI, but upon fiddling with the software on my desktop Windows popped up and stated there was a service pack called windows xp pack 2 or 3 that would get APEX running so I installed it and now I have a fully functional ACI system again ( which is not mine, I only have a license through a company I work with) but now alamode released Total 2010 and I am glad I did not jump into any purchases.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this, and does it work?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM

State: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
I cut this from another thread. I have avoided switching to Win 7 64 mostly because I have heard that Apex 4 wont run on it. I know APEX would like for me to buy Medina, but I REALLY like APEX 4, and know it like the back of my hand.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this, and does it work?
Find your apex.exe file and change it to work in compatability mode to windows xp.

Here are the steps
go to C: drive than click to open
find Program Files (x86) click to open
find apex folder, click to open
find apexwin4.exe (i have apex 3 and the file for that is apexwin3.exe) click mouse button (the other one not the mouse button that launches the file) to get it to show properties, then find where it say compatibily and check box where is says run this program in comparitability mode (windows xp Service Pack 3) that is how I have it working on my mac in bootcamp which uses window 7.

I have Windows 7 64 bit installed using Apex 3, but I did demo apex medina and got it to work as well.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Incog,

Apex v4 (a.k.a. "Medina") runs just fine on W7-64. You do not have to do any special configuring to get it to run... :-)

I run that OS on most of my machines personally, and if there were a problem there I would know about it, LOL. The only known issue I am aware of if the built-in PDF out control we use does not respond in a 64 bit environment. This issue has been in our Test Track database for a while but has not floated to the top because it is not an issue for most. Those few people who still need to print directly out of the software (vs. are using it via integration with their forms packages) and who are running a 64 bit OS, generally just use a generic & free PDF print driver. The issue is only with the "Print to PDF" off the main menu.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know and I'll do what I can to help. Also, FWIW, as I mentioned in my Appraiser Camera thread http://appraisersforum.com/showthrea...142348&page=13 we should be releasing another maintenance update to v4 soon. There are some new toys coming for v4 users... ;-)

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Last edited by Randall Garrett : 03-04-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added thread link
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the responses Sal and Randall! Perhaps I have gotten my versions confused. I do not have Medina, and when I look in "about" it shows "Apex IV". Isn't that Apex 4?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:17 AM

Ingog,

Select "About" from the Apex Help menu. It should show a version number and release date in that dialog. FWIW, the last release of version 3 for US Fee Appraisers was v3.2.1367.1 with a compile date of 01/24/2006. If you have version 3 and the version number is lower than that, you can go to our web site and get a newer version. For versions earlier than v4, and depending on how your system is set up, you will likely have to follow the steps that Sal outlined since Apex v3.x was last touched some 3 years before even the pre-release versions of Win7, but the steps only take take about 15 seconds - just did this myself as a test on the V64 system I am typing on at the moment.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks Randal. It looks like I was confusing the mane of the program, "Apex IV" with the version. I have version 3.2.13671, but my compile date is 10/27/2006.

I will try the steps Sal outlined.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 PM

I get the following error message

"The program can't start because LTFIL14n.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

And reinstalling results in the same error
Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klahr View Post
I get the following error message

"The program can't start because LTFIL14n.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

And reinstalling results in the same error
Looks like that may be a Wintotal file. Have you tried to call Alamode?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Howard,

I did a fresh install from an installer EXE off our servers and find the file

ltfil14N.DLL (The case does not matter)

in my Apex Version 3 folder/directory. The date of the file shows to be 02/23/2004. I cannot explain why it is not installing on your machine. My first guess is that the installer EXE is not an Apex installer - i.e. that it may be an installer written/distributed by someone else (your forms vendor?) or something like that. Do you know where you obtained your version of Apex?

In any case, you should be able to go to our web site and download the latest released build of your version (i.e. v2.x, v3.x, v4.x, etc.) First, however, note that if you have a version that we made especially for a particular forms company, it is best to contact them and get the version that they distributed to you.

Failing that, you could try downloading the latest version from our web site

http://www.apexwin.com/us/index.php/...2-v3-appraiser

and installing it to a different machine and obtaining a missing file from that install and copying it to your machine that seems to be missing the file in question.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Incog,

Wow, that date is strange - does not match what I have on my servers. Maybe you are looking at the "file/modified" date under Explorer (?) Sometimes in Windows that date shown is the date it was moved or last written, but the About dialog looks into the EXE itself to see the compile date...

Anyway, try the steps Sal outlined and when it comes up, do the Help/About thing to check the date. If it shows something different, I'd like to know in case something is whacked.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread