Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default FHA/HUD paint repairs

Scenario: There is peeling/chipping paint on house exterior window and doors frames. Because of winter temperatures, paint would not be feasible at present time. Is scraping to remove the peeling/chipping paint an adequate solution without a new coat of paint?
Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM

State: Alabama
Default Peeling paint

I think then you have exposed wood that could rot and threaten it's integrity. Being from the south, we tend to be able to paint 365 days a year. You have a good question. Perhaps your HOC could answer it.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 AM

State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen V View Post
Scenario: There is peeling/chipping paint on house exterior window and doors frames. Because of winter temperatures, paint would not be feasible at present time. Is scraping to remove the peeling/chipping paint an adequate solution without a new coat of paint?
No. The required repair is "scraping and painting of any area where chipped or peeling paint is present....." The weather does not matter. They can escrow for the repair to be completed at a later date.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 AM

State: Michigan

What year was the home built? If it was pre-1978 then chipping and peeling paint would qualify as a defective paint surface and FHA will require automatic repair. Read 2005-ML-48 for a detailed answer.

As far as painting in adverse weather, funds may be escrowed and FHA will accept a HUD-92300 from the lender. The work must then be completed within 6 months after the loan closes. Make sure to provide the lender with a cost-to-cure for the paint repair.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 AM

State: Michigan

I may be wrong but isn't the DE underwriter's job to determine what is and what isn't repaired. I report what I see based on HUD/FHA min prop requirements and then complete a CIR detailing the repairs that have been made based on the request from the underwriter in the CIR assignment. Stop doing the underwriters jobs. Report what you see and move on.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 AM

State: California

Redfish nailed it. FHA appraisers should stop thinking in terms of requiring repairs because that is not part of the job in an FHA assignment. We report MPR/MPS deficiencies so that the client can determine what is to be done.

State that you observed defective paint surfaces, provide an estimated cost to cure, and condition your appraisal on correction/inspection.

This is why FHA appraising is so easy.

"Another fine reason to do FHA" to paraphrase the really old guy.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM

State: North Carolina

FWIW, there are many paint products available that can be used with temperatures above 35. So the painters don't have as many excuses any more.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 AM

State: New York
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default FHA paint issues

Here in upstate NY peeling paint is a fact of life...I always take a photo of every incidence of peeling/flaking paint, inside and out, sheds, barns, fences etc, put in a cost-to-cure and let the U/W decide what to do...we are the reporting eyes of what is there, not the decision makers of what has to be done. This is just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 AM

State: New York
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default My profile.

How can I change my profile to "certified" from "licensed" appraiser?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM

State: Tennessee

Redfish and Gred Boyd both nailed it right on the head. We appraisers don't require repairs: We report MPR deficiencies. Stop trying to do the DE UW's job. Let the DE UW make that call. Report what is there and move onto the next assignment.

Closed Thread