Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:17 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Roof Inspection

I appraised a property for an FHA-Insured reverse mortgage and made the appraisal subject to a roof inspection - CB4.

When questioned by the underwriter as to why a roof inspection would be required, I reiterated: "The appraiser is not a roof expert, the roof appears to be nearing the end of its age-life. A roof expert will need to inspect the roof to determine its remaining utility and report on any needed repairs and/or replacement."

The underwriter responded with, "Thank you for your follow up. Please remove the comment about the roof or comment as to why you feel it needs to be inspected. You state you are not a roof expert but then say the roof appears to be nearing the end of it's economic life but don't state why you feel that way. If you can't say why you feel that way then the comment should be removed because as you state you are not a roof expert, so how can you determine it is near the end of it's economic life without specific reasons. There has to be a reason why you feel the roof is nearing the end of it's economic life and they just want you to comment on it so they can order a roof inspection."

I've never been asked to provide further detail when requiring a roof inspection... My opinion that the roof appears to warrant inspection has been enough in the past.

I'm open to education if that's what I need. Am I being ambiguous with my explanation of why the roof needs an inspection? Do I need to offer more detail in the future?

Your guidance and help are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2010, 12:38 PM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr711 View Post
I appraised a property for an FHA-Insured reverse mortgage and made the appraisal subject to a roof inspection - CB4.

When questioned by the underwriter as to why a roof inspection would be required, I reiterated: "The appraiser is not a roof expert, the roof appears to be nearing the end of its age-life. A roof expert will need to inspect the roof to determine its remaining utility and report on any needed repairs and/or replacement."

The underwriter responded with, "Thank you for your follow up. Please remove the comment about the roof or comment as to why you feel it needs to be inspected. You state you are not a roof expert but then say the roof appears to be nearing the end of it's economic life but don't state why you feel that way. If you can't say why you feel that way then the comment should be removed because as you state you are not a roof expert, so how can you determine it is near the end of it's economic life without specific reasons. There has to be a reason why you feel the roof is nearing the end of it's economic life and they just want you to comment on it so they can order a roof inspection."

I've never been asked to provide further detail when requiring a roof inspection... My opinion that the roof appears to warrant inspection has been enough in the past.

I'm open to education if that's what I need. Am I being ambiguous with my explanation of why the roof needs an inspection? Do I need to offer more detail in the future?

What kind of roof and material is it? What is the typical life for such a roof (source)? How old is the roof? Are their any visible signs showing wear or deterioration?

The following provides a basis for rendering an opinion about asphalt shingles.

Quote:
When it comes to shingles, the drawbacks center on service life. While asphalt shingles come with warranties ranging from 20 to as long as 45 years, roofers and builders remain skeptical of those warranties. Since warranties are a marketing device, they are not a reliable predictor of lifespan. In the past decade, there have been many complaints of asphalt shingle failure long before warranties expired. Many homeowners have been dissatisfied with warranty payouts that didn't cover all the costs of repair or replacement, as well.

This document is a chapter of Asphalt Shingles Home Page: which tells readers how to identify & explain the most-common asphalt roof shingle failures.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/roof/shingles.htm
Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I'd just tell them why I thought it was nearing the end of its life. Were there curled or deteriorated shingles? Blistering or bumps observed? Excessive loss of the granules? Evidence of leaking inside?

If I didn't see any deterioration, I wouldn't feel the need to comment on the requirement for an additional inspection.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
............The underwriter responded with, ".........You state you are not a roof expert but then say the roof appears to be nearing the end of it's economic life but don't state why you feel that way.........There has to be a reason why you feel the roof is nearing the end of it's economic life and they just want you to comment on it so they can order a roof inspection."...................

Am I being ambiguous with my explanation of why the roof needs an inspection? Do I need to offer more detail in the future?

Read the underwriter request again as I have edited and tell me he is not being reasonable.

If you are going to call for a repair or inspection it is reasonable for the reader of the report and the person who is going to have to pay for the inspection/repair to know why you are asking for it.

Explanations and photos go a long way towards credibility.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM

State: Oklahoma

...pictures......rs
Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Send this to the underwriter...

Quote:
The appraisal process is the lender’s tool for determining if a property meets the minimum requirements and eligibility standards for a FHA-insured mortgage. Underwriters bear primary responsibility for determining eligibility; however, the appraiser is the on-site representative for the lender and provides preliminary verification that the General Acceptability Criteria standards have been met.
Quote:
Typical conditions that would require further inspection or testing by qualified individuals or entities:
• infestation – evidence of termites
• inoperative or inadequate plumbing, heating or electrical systems
• structural failure in framing members
• leaking or worn-out roofs
• cracked masonry or foundation damage
• drainage problems
Nothing else needs to be said or explained. You did your job. Now they have to do their job.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:17 PM

If the roof is not leaking, but looks like it's just about done with, you can always recommend an inspection instead of requiring it, and as others have said, include several pictures. With as picky as underwriters are today, a recommendation is probably going to result in a roof inspection, but let the UW make the call if it's not leaking now.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Lloyd... this is BS (not your comment but rather what the "underwriter" is trying to pull off).

A real DEU can just make the appraisal condition go away during the DEU's review of the appraisal (Form 54114). Whoever is giving the OP grief over conditioning the appraisal on a smple roof inspection is obviously not a legitimate direct endorsement underwriter.

If conditions are enough to cause some concern on the part of the appraiser then the client needs to take care of business. It's part of the FHA way.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:01 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I am not picking on the OP or Greg but if someone is going to say in an appraisal report the property needs a roof (or any other) inspection there should be at least a sentence or two why with a couple photos.

If an appraiser cannot identify what the POTENTIAL problem is then they have no business asking for an inspection.

I had a similar situation two weeks ago with a couple barns and the subject house. I informed the lander and included a five page letter with multiple pictures and what the potential and obvious problems were. It took me 20 minutes.

Appraisers need to remember we are in the service industry, we are the eyes of the lender and we have obligations.

My lender thanked me and I sent them an invoice for services rendered to that point. The assignment will most likely turn into a 403k and my fees for the assignment will now be about $500+. I earned the fees by giving the lender what they need.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:12 PM

State: Georgia

Quote:
The underwriter responded with, "Thank you for your follow up. Please remove the comment about the roof or comment as to why you feel it needs to be inspected. You state you are not a roof expert but then say the roof appears to be nearing the end of it's economic life but don't state why you feel that way
As appraisers, and homeowners, I think we have a pretty good idea when a roof is in the final stage of its useful economic life. Respond back with something like,

"Based on my experience as a real estate appraiser, roofs that look like the Subject roof may have anywhere from 1 - 5 years of remaining economic life."

And of course include a couple of photos.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread