Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Commercial/Industrial Appraisals
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Airport Land Lease Analysis

I'm working on a land lease analysis for a regional airport. I have already called a number of comparable airports to gather lease rates. The Property Manager wants me to consider an adjustment for property values by city. How would I go about finding an industrial land lease benchmark for cities? Would it make sense to use the Marshall Swift "Local Multipliers"?
Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM

State: California

First, no, it does not make sense to use the M&S local multipliers. Second, based on your other questions, I would strongly advise that you hook up with a local CG to work with you on this one. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM

State: Florida

I have been appraising for 40 years. (I was 3 when I began.) I have been dealing with aviation real estate issues for 5 years. And I am still learning every day. FAA and IRWA are great resources. Aviation use parcels differ from land-side parcels. General aviation can differ from hub airports. FBO are a complete seperate breed. Very few appraisers, even among MAIs and other CG's are well-versed with these items. And you are shown as a "Trainee"? I think you should turn it down or team up with someone. And forget M&S.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM

State: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstanbru View Post
Second, based on your other questions, I would strongly advise that you hook up with a local CG to work with you on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Kevin Bokoske, MAI View Post
And you are shown as a "Trainee"? I think you should turn it down or team up with someone.
Ok, I think that we can stop with the "you should really partner with a CG" talk towards the OP. Besides, what kind of client would give an assignment such as a ground lease for a regional airport to a trainee? I don't think that every trainee who posts a question on this Forum should start off the post with "I am a trainee who is working with a CR/CG mentor...". These guys are trying to learn. Yes, I'm sure that they've asked their mentor and I'm sure that their mentor has given them some level of advice. However, I applaud the OP for coming on here to ask questions... I just hope that they can get some good advice. I know that you guys weren't attacking the OP like some others do, but it really frustrates me when this kind of talk is even part of the discussion. Being a commercial "trainee" myself who works with 2 MAIs and 6 other CGs, I would hate to preface every question with that kind of comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmik1950 View Post
I'm working on a land lease analysis for a regional airport. I have already called a number of comparable airports to gather lease rates. The Property Manager wants me to consider an adjustment for property values by city. How would I go about finding an industrial land lease benchmark for cities? Would it make sense to use the Marshall Swift "Local Multipliers"?
To the OP, I cannot be of a great deal of help because I am not well versed on ground leases for airports. That being said, I do not think that it's a good idea to use M&S local multipliers for adjustments to land lease comps. M&S, for all intents and purposes, gives information on depreciable assets. Land is not depreciable (depletion is another story), therefore, M&S local multipliers would be like applying apples to oranges. I'm sure that the more experienced appraisers on the forum could offer better benchmark sources, but I thought that I would give you a good reason to not use M&S. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Falkowski View Post
I would hate to preface every question with that kind of comment.
In all fairness, it is not unreasonable for trainees and residential appraisers working with/under a cert general to at a minimum disclose what issues and questions have been addressed between them.

Often the questions or issues presented do not contain complete information and usually do not contain sufficient information to properly address the answer. Not that every question or issue requires a novel, but there are entire texts on some of the topics that posters come here looking for simplistic answers. This is not to discourage those with question to post, but rather to encourage posters to provide all relevant details in order to achieve meaningful answers.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM

State: North Carolina
Default Trainee?

Well, yes, I'm still a trainee, but just barely - points wise. I work with a highly knowledgeable MAI, and we have discussed this. Before I posed the question to him, I thought I would see what the collective "wisdom" of the group might offer. After the first reply, I pretty much decided to keep my questions to myself. Thanks to those who came to my defense. After a good night's sleep, I realized the M&S question didn't make any sense. I still don't have a good answer to how to find a locational adjustment between cities. In other words, how does industrial land in Asheville compare to Columbia, Fayetteville, Chattanooga, etc.?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
how does industrial land in Asheville compare to Columbia, Fayetteville, Chattanooga, etc
It does not - except by coincidence.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abester View Post
It does not - except by coincidence.
I'm guessing that if you did the proper analysis, you'd probably find some sort of correlation between attainable industrial rental rates and industrial land values.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing that if you did the proper analysis, you'd probably find some sort of correlation between attainable industrial rental rates and industrial land values.
Not across the spectrum of
Quote:
industrial land in Asheville to Columbia, Fayetteville, Chattanooga, etc.?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:53 PM

State: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abester View Post
Not across the spectrum of
Why not? If you did a land residual you'd probably see a correlation, regardless of whether its in Asheville or Chattanooga.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread