Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:19 PM

State: Maryland
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Thumbs down Corporate Blackmail

Open Letter to Randall Garrett:
I have a copy of your Apex IV – 3.2.1367.1 (1-24-2006) program. On Friday, I went to use a saved drawing, make a few changes, and then print the revised drawing. All I got was big red letters stating this product was not registered. I called the apex 800 # and was first told that my program was out dated and no longer having service provided by Apex. However, if I paid $50 for extended service they would re-activate MY registered copy or I had to buy the new program. What a bunch of C—p. I need you to fix your system which wrongfully tells me I do not have a valid registered copy.

If I had known that this program would stop working and all my files would be useless, I would never have bought your product. This is corporate BLACKMAIL . A correctly registered copy of your software should remain registered and if it will not you should give me a number so this will not happen in the future. I am not asking for updates etc. I want to use what I have. Stand behind your product.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Hi Mr. Bean,

I am sorry for the trouble you are having and for being late to see this. I don't know what happened but I will look into the situation myself in the morning. That program is over 4 years old and my old brain isn't as fresh as it once was on technical issues. Heck, I don't even know how to use our database to look up your account... :-\

In the interim, it sounds like your license file somehow got blown out. That should not happen, but I recall that v3.x had an issue that when something like a USB device (drive, camera, etc.) is attached to your computer, it could change the way the OS reports the machine to the software, thus making it think it is on a different machine. If you have a camera or USB drive attached, try disconnecting it momentarily and see if things start working for you again.

If you get stuck tonight, feel free to send me your sketch file by PM. When I get home, I will open it up, make a PDF and send it back to you ASAP. If all you have is a paper sketch, scan it and send it and I will draw it for you as best I can and send you the PDF if that will help.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

If all you have is a paper sketch, scan it and send it and I will draw it for you as best I can and send you the PDF if that will help.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/[/quote]

Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Mr Bean,

On my way home, I got the Program Manager on the phone and he said that he could not find you in our database, but if you can send me your Company Name and Machine ID, he can generate you a license tonight. You can find this information by selecting "About" from the Help menu. You should see a [Registration] button on that dialog. Clicking on that will bring up another dialog showing the Machine ID. I'm not sure about the Company Name thing - like I said, that program is pretty old and I'm not all that smart ;-). But, evidently, what is needed is a Company Name and a Machine ID. Send me that by PM here and I'll e-mail the info to him. He will generate you a new License File number which you can enter in.

You'll want to check that "USB" issue I mentioned earlier. If you have such a device, or something else which has changed the Machine Id since you first installed the program however long ago, and we generate a new License file, it will overwrite the previous one. That is fine, except if/when you remove the device, it will change the ID again, thus rendering the program back to Demo mode - something you obviously want to avoid.

This USB issue is something that was identified and changed back in 2007 with our v4 product when we also added an on-line licensing system which allows you to manage licenses yourself 24/7/365.

As for the way you were treated today, I will be taking this matter up with the head of our Customer Support tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. Although I am no longer appraising, I remember what it was like feeling hung out to dry with a deadline looming. I'd like to get this person to contact you personally and make things right if we can. Obviously, he will need a means of contact, so please PM me here with your e-mail address, phone number with good time to call, or whatever works best for you so we can get in touch with you.

I'll wait up here as long as I can in hopes you reply this evening. Otherwise, I will check first thing in the morning.

Respectfully,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 AM

Mr. Bean,

I waited on-line as long as I could tonight but I need to get some sleep so I can put in a full day tomorrow before leaving on a business trip. I assume it is even later in your time zone and you are unlikely to be awake at this hour. I'll check here in the morning but it may be 8:30 or so CDT before I finish my meeting with some folks on this issue. Please let us know how we can help.

Respectfully,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software
Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 AM

State: Georgia

I know some people have issues with Apex but how many heads of company respond as he has to this issue? Kudos to Randall for his efforts. He is constantly on this forum answering questions and helping out others. You may pay a bit more for his product but it is worth every cent, particularly in a case such as this when the reply is almost immediate so the appraiser can continue with his report without waiting 24 or 48 hours for a response.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM

State: Maryland

Thank you to all who volunteered to help with the drawing. Having a dead line of Friday
night, I went to plan "B" and did a drawing in another sketch program. This was wasted time, but I got it done in time.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Mr. Bean,

Glad plan B got things done! Let me know if I can help getting your Apex up and running again. I am leaving town for a few days starting tomorrow and will be out some of next week as well, so please let me know today if you'd like my individual help. I'd like to help steer the resolution myself so you don't have a bad experience again. I have no formal involvement with any sales related functions at Apex, but I think I can still influence things ;-) and being a former appraiser for most of my earlier years, customer support and satisfaction is important to me. Please let me know if I can help in that regard and I'll do what I can.

Respectfully,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

My brother is like a "charter member" with Apex and this is why I thought their customer service was second to none in any technical industry. Apparently their customer service is great for any customer.

I wish all companies followed Apex's example.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Mr. Garrett,

Enough said.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread