Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Running an Appraisal Business
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Who has the lowest prices for E & O Insurance?

Who has the lowest prices for E & O Insurance? In California, I am finding the $1 million dollar E & O insurance policies for appraisers to be quoting around $850 (OREP) to $895 (FREA) per year. I have not received quotes from LIA, Hobbs Group or Landy, but plan to call them for a quote. Does anyone know of an errors and ommissions provider that writes insurance in California for less? If so, please advise and thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 PM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Shouldnt your question be who has the best E&O Coverage at the best price?

When you say cheapest ... you sound something like an AMC ... to hell with quality I just want CHEAP .......
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I just renewed with Landy, and they are about the same as the others. It ended up about $150 higher than last year.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM

State: Texas

Should E&O premiums be higher for AMC appraisers with the 48 hour turn time requirements? It seems to me the risk would be greater? Opinions?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:33 PM

State: Arkansas

E & O is worthless and I certainly would buy the cheapest possible.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropertyEconomics View Post
Shouldnt your question be who has the best E&O Coverage at the best price?

When you say cheapest ... you sound something like an AMC ... to hell with quality I just want CHEAP .......

Hello PropertyEconomics. You make a good point. Under normal circumstances I would be thinking the way you suggest, since overall value should be the goal. However, since I have not done a lender appraisal since May 2009 things have been extremely lean financially. And, unfortunately I am in the position that I may need close down my business. Therefore, I am currently in need of more affordable E & O insurance, which may include a decrease in quality and value. But, hopefully not. Thank you for your response!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have to put mine on a credit card this year..... first time. Like Terrell said it's probably worthless anyway. I never could figure out the logic in paying for something that expires all prior acts when you forfeit your policy? We should be able to say we're not responsible for that appraisal I quit yesterday!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panappr View Post
I have to put mine on a credit card this year..... first time. Like Terrell said it's probably worthless anyway. I never could figure out the logic in paying for something that expires all prior acts when you forfeit your policy? We should be able to say we're not responsible for that appraisal I quit yesterday!!!
Panappr, you make a good suggestion about paying with a credit card. If I make payments to FREA, then there is an additional $100 fee in addition to the $895 premium. A credit card may make better sense if there is not a charge for paying with it. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Professional Status: General Public
Default E & O

Going through the E&O process too. After searching the Forums and submitting several apps. the best 2 I found were...

J.A. Price Agency / Star Insurance Company for $575 on a $1,000,000 policy with a $1,000 deductable

and

Capital West Insurance / CNA for $592 for a $1,000,000 policy with a $2,500 deductable.

Neither quote covers prior work.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 AM

Default Great prices, but not workable for most if prior acts are not covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Going through the E&O process too. After searching the Forums and submitting several apps. the best 2 I found were...

J.A. Price Agency / Star Insurance Company for $575 on a $1,000,000 policy with a $1,000 deductable

and

Capital West Insurance / CNA for $592 for a $1,000,000 policy with a $2,500 deductable.

Neither quote covers prior work.

Hello Tourist,

Both of the quotes that you received are very reasonable. My guess is that both policies are not for appraisers in California. However, even if they were it would make no sense to switch since as you mentioned neither quote covers prior work.

Both insurance carriers must be seeking new appraisers who have no prior liability exposure. All I can say is that if E&O insurance were for consumers, my best guess is that the insurance commissioners would have required that the insurers would cover any claims if a suit were filed within the time frame of the policy. It seems strange that an E&O insurer could walk away from an insured that had their insurance at the time of the incident and/or law suit filing.

It sure doesn't make it easy for appraisers to shop and switch insurers for another policy. Unless I am missing something, it would appear to hold the appraiser hostage to the initial insurer.

Tourist, thank you for your contribution!

Last edited by rookie3 : 06-23-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread