Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:29 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Motion LS800 1.2GHz Intel Pentium M Tablet PC - LS800, Will Apex Nexus work on this

Wanted to know if anyone has used this device with Apex Nexus? Will it work with it?
Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

MZ818,

Sorry for the delay in replying - have been out of the country for a few days and just returned last night.

Nexus should work just fine on that device... :-) The LS800 was one of my all time faves and we ran Nexus on that device all the time... When looking at a particular unit, check the Operating System and RAM for best results. Nexus itself doesn't need a lot of RAM, so the base 1 GB should be fine, but of course more is better, especially if you are running other stuff on a regular basis, multi-tasking, etc. I believe the 1.5 GB is the max you can go with relative ease, meaning just adding vs. replacing...

Second, if you are considering a device found on (say) E-Bay, make sure it has their VAD (View Anywhere Display) option. A screen you can see in an outdoor environment is very important. That said, even their standard anti-glare screen on the LS800 is better than most other displays found on regular PC's... :-)

Finally, you might also consider a used or reconditioned C5. It has a larger screen, built-in camera, etc. I know the back in June, we found a supplier for 50 of these and put them up on our web site. I don't have anything to do with sales, but I heard folks around the office saying they were selling well. I just don't know if there are any still available, but I will check... You can PM me if you want me to send you some info on these units. In the interim, here is a link to that info so you can compare with the LS800, http://tinyurl.com/23dmsdh

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM

State: Florida

Randall, can you suggest a tablet in the $300.00 range that uses a stylus type pen and runs Apex? Thank you
Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 PM

I went the other day to check out tablet pc's and it's just too much too lug around when on inspections. I decided to replace my old beat up pda with the newer Hp Ipaq 210 enterprise with larger screen. I already have a subscription for mobile sketch, so I transferred it to the new pda. It's small, fits in my pocket and gets the job done. Takes voice notes and has mobile office word. You think Nexus would ever be available on a pda or smaller system?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 AM

MZ,

The HP 210 was the "last great" PDA IMHO - a mostly worthy successor to the hx4700/4705. Your old MobileSketch should run quite quickly on it. How do you like the screen?

As far as update stuff, as you know MobileSketch v2.x is a mostly discontinued product, especially here in the States. We are working on an update for an overseas market, but it is just to handle the unique properties of the Disto D8. We could easily release it here if there is demand.

Nexus is a product designed for "active" screens like on a Tablet PC, not a touch screen device like PDA/SmartPhones. It has limited support for touch, but the main issue for "porting" Nexus to WinMo is the fact that the environment for WinMo does not have the basic capabilities in the underpinnings for a real "port" - it would need to be a re-write. That said, we do have a new product for WinMo in the works, albeit for a different market. We could, however, tweak it some for the US appraiser/inspector market if there is demand... :-) FWIW, it works like a hybrid between the old MobileSketch and Nexus, just with special consideration for 3.5" - 4.3" touchscreens. I was written for WinMo v6.5, but runs fine on WinMo v5 or better.

Let me know your thoughts and I'll try to detail more specific info if you are interested. Note, however, we have a "no vaporware" policy where we do not publicly discuss products not already out in at least field trial status, so I may not be able to post much info here on upcoming products. I can talk about the MobileSketch update because it is in field trials now. I can talk less about the new MobileSketch because it is further out and only in alpha (internal test) stage and was not envisioned to release here in the States. If I am wrong about the demand here, that situation could change... :-)

Feel free to post here or PM me as you prefer. FWIW, I will be out of the country starting tomorrow for a week, so my ability to respond Tuesday - next Tuesday is limited. I don't seem to be able to access this site when I am overseas.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM

What is the mobilesketch update? Can this be downloaded for my Ipaq?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 PM

MZ,

Sorry I was not clear in my earlier post. The MobileSketch update I mentioned earlier just adds the Disto D8 to the list of supported laser meters. It is in field trials now with select user groups overseas and not yet available to the general public on our web site. Once field trials are done, I will see to it that we build a US version and put it on our website.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..
Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM

That sounds good, because I have a disto d8.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Been using Nexus on my Motion LE1700 for over a year now and love it. Works great in the field and is easy to bring into Apex back at the office. A few things that still need to be addressed, but other then that a great product. Can't wait until one of the vendors intergrate the data collection part of the Nexus. Then it will really be cooking.

Bedrock
Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ818 View Post
I decided to replace my old beat up pda with the newer Hp Ipaq 210 enterprise with larger screen.
How is that working? I have an old Dell Axim X50 PDA that is showing its age and looking at a replacement. I also don't want a large tablet to walk around with.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread