Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Gym
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default "Don't Eat Plastic"

"Why You Can't Lose Those Last 10 Pounds"

The White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity released a report called "Solving the Problem of Childhood Obesity Within a Generation." In the report they list endocrine-disrupting chemicals as a possible reason for increased obesity in the country and describe how scientists have coined a new term for these chemicals — "obesogens" — because they "may promote weight gain and obesity."

What does this mean for you? It means that weight gain is not just about calories-in versus calories-out.

No, America’s obesity crisis can’t entirely be blamed on too much fast food and too little exercise. We have to consider a third factor: the obesogens. They’re natural and synthetic compounds, and many of these chemicals work by mimicking estrogen — the very hormone that doctors DON’T want women taking anymore (as a large clinical trial linked hormone therapy to increased risk of heart disease, breast cancer, stroke, blood clots and abnormal mammograms).

Leanness Law No. 2: Don’t Eat Plastic
This ought to be a no-brainer. Indeed, you’re probably already thinking, Well, I don’t generally eat plastic. Ah, but you do. Chances are that you’re among the 93 percent of Americans with detectable levels of bisphenol-A (BPA) in their bodies, and that you’re also among the 75 percent of Americans with detectable levels of phthalates.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/loveyou...ounds-1964849/

Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM

State: California

Calories are too cheap and too easy to obtain. At minimum wage you can earn enough money to buy 2,000 calories every 30 minutes.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:50 PM

State: Massachusetts

It's cheaper to eat unhealthy, DOLLAR MENU FOR LIFE, than it is to eat healthy. I recommend that everyone go watch "FOOD, INC." for some eye-opening stuff. PM me if you can't find it...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM

State: Pennsylvania

Just watch some TV shows from the 60's & 70's. Everyone was skinny back then. Damn, it's the Democrats that are responsible.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM

20 Worst Drinks in America

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slides...ica-2010#title

Use the "Next" button to see each one.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM

State: Delaware

Those same plastics, plasticizers, etc., etc. are behind the infertility of a lot of young women too.
Nasty stuff... Begin to forget buying supposedly healthy bottled water in plastic bottles, sodas, in same bottles, things wrapped in plastic wrap, etc., etc., etc.
Oh, and BTW, your basic aluminum can drink has a plastic lining.
The stuff is everywhere.
Helpful: Buy stuff in Glass bottles, use waxed paper to cover food in microwave.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM

State: Colorado

98.5% Raw Foods for me. Lost 20lb and working on another 10lbs. But you are right about the crap that goes into our food. I listen to some shows about eating and living a life style that is much more healthier. They also introduce hour long programs about the food industry and how we are being duped into eating junk. I can not even eat chicken anymore mainly because it is tasteless and I get the same reaction as eating bread, which induces hiccups and bloating.

Anyone ever notice how girls develop at younger ages than before?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 PM

Just read up on all the crap that the FDA was dishing out over Stevia - threatening book banning etc. They're still not letting it in processed foods, but at least you can buy it. It's an herb, used in other countries for a long time, that is much sweeter than sugar. I guess the sugar, Equal and Splenda companies didn't want the competition.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM

State: New Mexico

Smokey, have you tried agave nectar as a sweetener?

As for the plastic thing, I can say I've made a conscious effort in at least two areas:

I avoid letting my plastic water bottles heat up in the car.

I won't heat foods in plastic in the microwave.

Heat is supposed to release some pretty nasty toxins in plastic, so always, always put your food on a glass plate or bowl before nuking it.

Another thing is I've sworn off margerine and shortening. Transfat of course, and margerine is actually supposed to increase your levels of LDL colesterol. Besides, butter tastes so much better and it helps you absorb vitamins.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 AM

Caterina - I've tried it, but I'm trying to find a non-sugar alternative for my diabetic brother. Luckily, Trader Joe's carries a few types of Stevia so... if I could only get my brother to try it. LOL He's like a 5 year old.

Closed Thread