Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:
 
 
Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
PhiloFarnsworth PhiloFarnsworth is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lancaster Pennsylvania area
State: Pennsylvania
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Posts: 349
Default High Voltage Fall Zone

What is the proper way to determine where the "fall zone" is for a high voltage tower? If all improvements are outside of the right-of-way, is that sufficient for FHA?
Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM
David Beasley David Beasley is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Between Raleigh & Fayetteville
State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Posts: 1,071
Default

Being outside of the ROW should be good enough, but who knows? That will likely depend on the UW and/or whomever's desk at HUD this case lands on.

Is there a way to determine the fall distance of such a tower? Yes, become a mechnical engineer. This is one of the many things that us appraisers are asked to sign off on daily that we have absolutely no business signing off on. I disclaim it as such when I run across it. I generally say something like: "Subject improvements appear to be outside of the theoretical fall distance of said high power transmission line tower and per its recorded plat map is outside of the deeded easement for the tower and lines. However, the appraiser is not a mechnical engineer nor is he otherwise an expert in the designed fall distances of man-made towers."
  #3  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
NC Appraising's Avatar
NC Appraising NC Appraising is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Greenville
State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Posts: 3,342
Default

The appraiser must indicate whether the dwelling or related property improvements is located within the easement serving a high-voltage transmission line, radio/TV transmission tower, cell phone tower, microwave relay dish or tower, or satellite dish (radio, TV cable, etc).
1) If the dwelling or related property improvement is located within such an easement, the DE Underwriter must obtain a letter from the owner or operator of the tower indicating that the dwelling and its related property improvements are not located within the tower’s (engineered) fall distance in order to waive this requirement.

2)
If the dwelling and related property improvements are located outside the easement, the property is considered eligible and no further action is necessary. The appraiser, however, is instructed to note and comment on the effect on marketability resulting from the proximity to such site hazards and nuisances.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/ref/sfh1-18f.cfm



http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...02appdHSGH.pdf
Hazards And Nuisances
The appraiser must note and comment on all hazards and nuisances affecting the subject property that may endanger the health and safety of the occupants and/or the structural integrity or marketability of the property, including: subsidence, operating and abandoned oil and gas wells, abandoned wells, slush pits, heavy traffic, airport noise and hazards, runway clear zones/clear zones, proximity to high pressure gas, liquid petroleum pipelines or other volatile and explosive products, residential structures located within the fall distance of a high-voltage transmission line, radio/TV transmission tower, etc., excessive hazard from smoke, fumes, odors, and stationary storage tanks containing flammable or explosive material.
If hazards or nuisances are observed, the appraiser must describe the condition(s) and make a requirement for repair and/or for further inspection, and prepare the appraisal "subject to repairs" and/or "subject to inspection" in the
site section of the report. Supporting documentation provided by the appraiser may include extra photos or copies of site studies or analyses, property reports, surveys or plot plans, etc.

Any and all references to Valuation Condition items addressed in Chapters 2 and 3 are to be addressed in the appropriate section of the applicable appraisal reporting form. For example, Chapter 2, Sec. 2-2-E, Slush Pits, instructs: "If there is any readily observable evidence of slush pits, mark the "yes" column in VC-1". The new protocol will require the appraiser to address this condition in the site section of the appraisal report and note that the property may not be eligible for FHA financing referencing the information contained in chapter 2; otherwise, the guidance provided by chapters 2 and 3 remains in




http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...1502c2HSGH.pdf
OVERHEAD HIGH-VOLTAGE TRANSMISSION LINES
No dwelling or related property improvement may be located
within the engineering (designed) fall distance of any pole,
tower or support structure of a high-voltage transmission
line, radio/TV transmission tower, microwave relay dish or
tower or satellite dish (radio, TV cable, etc.). For field
analysis, the appraiser may use tower height as the fall
distance.
For the purpose of this Handbook, a High-Voltage Electric
Transmission Line is a power line that carries high voltage
between a generating plant and a substation. These lines
are usually 60 Kilovolts (kV) and greater, and are
considered hazardous. Lines with capacity of 12-60 kV and
above are considered high voltage for the purpose of this
Handbook. High voltage lines do not include local
distribution and service lines.
Low voltage power lines are distribution lines that commonly
supply power to housing developments and similar facilities.
These lines are usually 12 kV or less and are considered to
be a minimum hazard. These lines may not pass directly over
any structure, including pools, on the property being
insured by HUD.
> If the property is within





  #4  
Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Mr Rex's Avatar
Mr Rex Mr Rex is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: X Marks the spot
State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Posts: 25,925
Default

1234567890
__________________
You talking to me?

Last edited by Mr Rex : 07-29-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: too slow
  #5  
Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Doug Trites's Avatar
Doug Trites Doug Trites is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Posts: 372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Appraising View Post
The appraiser must indicate whether the dwelling or related property improvements is located within the easement serving a high-voltage transmission line, radio/TV transmission tower, cell phone tower, microwave relay dish or tower, or satellite dish (radio, TV cable, etc).
1) If the dwelling or related property improvement is located within such an easement, the DE Underwriter must obtain a letter from the owner or operator of the tower indicating that the dwelling and its related property improvements are not located within the tower’s (engineered) fall distance in order to waive this requirement.

2)
If the dwelling and related property improvements are located outside the easement, the property is considered eligible and no further action is necessary. The appraiser, however, is instructed to note and comment on the effect on marketability resulting from the proximity to such site hazards and nuisances.
http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/ref/sfh1-18f.cfm



http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...02appdHSGH.pdf
Hazards And Nuisances
The appraiser must note and comment on all hazards and nuisances affecting the subject property that may endanger the health and safety of the occupants and/or the structural integrity or marketability of the property, including: subsidence, operating and abandoned oil and gas wells, abandoned wells, slush pits, heavy traffic, airport noise and hazards, runway clear zones/clear zones, proximity to high pressure gas, liquid petroleum pipelines or other volatile and explosive products, residential structures located within the fall distance of a high-voltage transmission line, radio/TV transmission tower, etc., excessive hazard from smoke, fumes, odors, and stationary storage tanks containing flammable or explosive material.
If hazards or nuisances are observed, the appraiser must describe the condition(s) and make a requirement for repair and/or for further inspection, and prepare the appraisal "subject to repairs" and/or "subject to inspection" in the
site section of the report. Supporting documentation provided by the appraiser may include extra photos or copies of site studies or analyses, property reports, surveys or plot plans, etc.

Any and all references to Valuation Condition items addressed in Chapters 2 and 3 are to be addressed in the appropriate section of the applicable appraisal reporting form. For example, Chapter 2, Sec. 2-2-E, Slush Pits, instructs: "If there is any readily observable evidence of slush pits, mark the "yes" column in VC-1". The new protocol will require the appraiser to address this condition in the site section of the appraisal report and note that the property may not be eligible for FHA financing referencing the information contained in chapter 2; otherwise, the guidance provided by chapters 2 and 3 remains in




http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...1502c2HSGH.pdf
OVERHEAD HIGH-VOLTAGE TRANSMISSION LINES
No dwelling or related property improvement may be located
within the engineering (designed) fall distance of any pole,
tower or support structure of a high-voltage transmission
line, radio/TV transmission tower, microwave relay dish or
tower or satellite dish (radio, TV cable, etc.). For field
analysis, the appraiser may use tower height as the fall
distance.
For the purpose of this Handbook, a High-Voltage Electric
Transmission Line is a power line that carries high voltage
between a generating plant and a substation. These lines
are usually 60 Kilovolts (kV) and greater, and are
considered hazardous. Lines with capacity of 12-60 kV and
above are considered high voltage for the purpose of this
Handbook. High voltage lines do not include local
distribution and service lines.
Low voltage power lines are distribution lines that commonly
supply power to housing developments and similar facilities.
These lines are usually 12 kV or less and are considered to
be a minimum hazard. These lines may not pass directly over
any structure, including pools, on the property being
insured by HUD.
> If the property is within





I am working on a report right now that I asked almost the same question on. The tower is only 36' from the detached garage. The tower is on the property for which there must be an easement. I have a call into the power company now and am waiting for a call back. The garage is not or does not appear to be in the easement area. The question is, Since the garage is not within the easement does this than go to number two posted, or does that fact that there is an easement for the tower and power lines require number one be put into effect? I am trying to find out the fall distance from the power company.
  #6  
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Rob Baum Rob Baum is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Holton View Post
What is the proper way to determine where the "fall zone" is for a high voltage tower? If all improvements are outside of the right-of-way, is that sufficient for FHA?

Fall zone and danger zone can be two different things.

To address your question, the "fall zone" can only be determined by the engineer that designed it. There is simply no way of "eyeballing" the weak points designed into the tower that will affect where and how it falls.

GENERALLY, they are designed to "crumple", rather than fall over like a tree - but depending on the tower design, what it is carrying, and its height, the danger zone can be much greater than either of these distances.

My advice would be to use an extraordinary assumption that the fall and danger zones are limited to the right-of-way by design, and then report if any of the improvements are located within that right-of-way, or closer to the tower than the actual height of the tower.
  #7  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
NC Appraising's Avatar
NC Appraising NC Appraising is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Greenville
State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Posts: 3,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Baum View Post
Fall zone and danger zone can be two different things.

To address your question, the "fall zone" can only be determined by the engineer that designed it. There is simply no way of "eyeballing" the weak points designed into the tower that will affect where and how it falls.

GENERALLY, they are designed to "crumple", rather than fall over like a tree - but depending on the tower design, what it is carrying, and its height, the danger zone can be much greater than either of these distances.

My advice would be to use an extraordinary assumption that the fall and danger zones are limited to the right-of-way by design, and then report if any of the improvements are located within that right-of-way, or closer to the tower than the actual height of the tower.



Please don't do that.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
     Terms of Use  Privacy Policy
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at AppraiserSites.com

Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:
Partner Sites:
AppraiserUSA.com - National Appraiser Directory AllDomainsUSA.com - Domain Name Registration
DeadbeatListings.com - Deadbeat ListingsAppraiserSites.com - Web Hosting for the Professional Real Estate Appraiser
Find FHA Appraisers - FHA Appraiser Search Commercial Appraisers - Commercial Appraiser Search
Relocation Appraisal - Find Relocation Appraisers Domain Reseller - Business Opportunity
Home Security Buzz - Home Security Info Radon Testing - Radon Gas Info
My Medicare Forum - Medicare Info Stop Smoking Help - Help Quitting Smoking
CordlessPhoneStore.com - Great Cordless Phones AndroidTabletCity.com - Android Tablet Computers

Follow AppraisersForum.com:          Find us on Facebook            Follow us on Twitter


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

SiteMap: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93