Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > Apex
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default I need to open an old Apex (DOS) sketch.

I need to open an old Apex (DOS) sketch. It has an extension of _v3.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance, Rand
Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

RR,

What version of Apex are you trying to open it with? If *._v3 does not show as a file type under File|Open or File|Import, you can e-mail me the file. I will open it and e-mail you back the file converted to whatever version of Apex you are using now.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default What is your email address

The file is from Apex II Version 3.130 (09/29/1992)

Would you let me know what your email address is? I will send the file to you directly.

Thanks,
Rand Ramey
Ramey Appraisal
rameyappraisal@surwest.net

Last edited by Rand Ramey : 08-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Hi Rand,

Am replying by direct e-mail. Remember, though, I also need your current Apex version info so I know the best format to convert the DOS file into. Select "About" from the Help menu and let me know the version number and the date shown there.

Thanks,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Ramey View Post
The file is from Apex II Version 3.130 (09/29/1992)

Would you let me know what your email address is? I will send the file to you directly.

Thanks,
Rand Ramey
Ramey Appraisal
rameyappraisal@surwest.net
Wow. You've had Apex almost as long as my brother Jeff.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 PM

State: Arizona

Who has used Apex the longest? I have been a fan of Apex since early 1987. I was working for TRW at that time and I think our office was the testing office for both Apex and Day One at the same time. It was really fun times--and I am still a user of both softwares.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 AM

Wow, Jo Ann! You may have been using it longer than I have ;-) TRW RELS was the client that drove a lot of the implementation of features that still exist today. I remember the debate on having the TRW logo come up as a "splash screen" with the "Procom zoop" sound. Those were fun days and I remember them fondly...

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM

Default Back on-topic

RR,

Just wanted to follow up on your issue. I have e-mailed you directly twice and responded to both of your PM's here, but have yet to receive the old DOS Apex file which needs promoting to your newer version of Apex.

I am in and out of the office quite a bit, so if you need something soon, it is best to get back with me sooner than later. I cannot convert the file for you when I am away from the office as I would need to resurrect some very old software archived away at the office and do a sort of two-step process. I am booked for an overseas trip early next month and will be gone for almost two weeks, so please let me know if you need me to do something for you. I am happy to help, but I can't do much for you once I am on the road. If you already have the issue resolved, please let me know so I can put the issue to rest.

Regards,

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM

State: Arizona

I was working in an office in Phoenix in 1986 that had a very advanced computerized system with a programmer on staff. When the owner went searching for more computerized information was about the same time TRW decided to get into the appraisal business and offered him a price he couldn't refuse for his business. This was the first TRW office, then later they expanded to at least one office in each state. At first they used his systems and computer programs that were great (and still would be today), then gradually they got changed into messes. Several years later they announced a new system that had all these wonderfull features, when actually they had reinvented the wheel--the wonderfull features were similar to the original program. When TRW went to a centralized computer system for all the state offices is also when they decided to go with Day One and Apex. When the computer in Anaheim would break down, before attempting to fix the problem, they would call the Phoenix office and ask what has Jo Ann done now that caused the system to break down. And I am not a computer person, I just push buttons to see what happens. By 1992 TRW had become so "corporate mentally", eighteen of the appraisers quit over a two month time period and set up their own offices. About year later TRW decided they didn't want to be in the appraisal business anymore and sold to SMS, which sold to First American. There are still quirks and layouts in RealQuest and other companies connected to or have been connected to First American, etc that have their roots in those 1986 programs. So it has been an interesting 24 years.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:06 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Not to brag, but I was told I was one of the first users. I think my customer number is single digit. I have yet to go to Medina, because I can literally use APEX IV v 3.2.1xxx with my eyes closed. I know EVERY command, shortcut, and trick there is, I think. I am too afraid my productivity would suffer if I went to a newer version. When things get slow, we will have a sketch contest. So far, I am undefeated!

When I upgrade to Windows 7 and Aurora, I guess I will have to bite the bullet, but I do not plan on making that change any time soon...

APEX is great software!

Closed Thread