Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Multi-Family vs. Accessory Unit

I have a new assignment in which the subject is a single family dwelling with 2 garage apartments in the rear, of which only one is being rented out. I beleive the other unit is currenlty listed for rent. The owner does not currently live in the main dwelling however is planning on moving back in a few months when the current lease runs out.

As it stands now I would approach this as a 1025 and call it triplex. When the owner moves back into the main dwelling would the garage apartments be considered accessory units? The home is worth more as a single family unit. What would he need to do to be categorized as such?
Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
I have a new assignment in which the subject is a single family dwelling with 2 garage apartments in the rear, of which only one is being rented out. I beleive the other unit is currenlty listed for rent. The owner does not currently live in the main dwelling however is planning on moving back in a few months when the current lease runs out.

As it stands now I would approach this as a 1025 and call it triplex. When the owner moves back into the main dwelling would the garage apartments be considered accessory units? The home is worth more as a single family unit. What would he need to do to be categorized as such?
I was taught if the second unit(s) receive rents or occupied by non family members, it's an income property that is meant to go on a 1025.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I was taught to check the zoning first and find out what is legally permissible.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM

We actually do not have zoning regulations in this area so it would be legal to use as a single fam with accessory or multi fam.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I think there is some confusion here.
My recommendation:
Find out what is legally permissible. If an SFR is what is legally permissible, and multi-units are not legally permissible, then you are going to have to do some research on the additional units. My experience is that many jurisdictions have provisions for one additional unit in an SFR-only zone, but few have provisions for more than one additional unit. And, almost always, the additional unit allowed is subordinate to the original unit (smaller, an accessory, etc.).

If you've determined that the subject's H&BU is single-family when the owner moves back in, it would make sense to me that the subject's H&BU right now is as a single-family. In other words, the occupancy (owner-occupied, vacant, or other) does not change the H&BU.

The GSEs will purchase loans made on an SFR with one accessory unit but I do not believe they will purchase a loan on an SFR with two accessory units. I'm assuming that your assignment is for a mortgage-finance transaction and your client is going to want the appraisal communicated on the current GSE-approved form, conforming to GSE requirements. So, if the subject is a one-unit with two accessory units, I recommend you alert your client and decide how best to proceed.

Some more research on what the subject's zoning allows is necessary.
If, in this location, there is no zoning requirements, it sounds like you've already determined the H&BU is SFR. You'll still have the issue of two accessory units being an acceptable property-condition as far as your client goes. I'd get all this cleared up before I went any further.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
We actually do not have zoning regulations in this area so it would be legal to use as a single fam with accessory or multi fam.

Ok, we posted at the same time.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies (and posting my question in the right place)

I have some good ideas/questions for the lender before I go any further with the assignment.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Is this a rural area?

(by the way, don't give up yet! Someone else may post with the optimal answer that clears-up the issues!)
Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM

No it's actually in the heart of the city
Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Ok.

Well, H&BU is going to help the appraiser determine which are the best comps to use.
If SFRs sell more than 3-unit properties, and the subject would sell as an SFR, then using 3-unit properties is going to under-value the subject.

Just so you know, I don't think I've ever appraised a property that wasn't required to follow some zoning ordinance, so my experience (and suggestions) may well be inadequate for your situation. This thread will get the attention of those appraisers who are better qualified in the no-zoning markets. I'd listen to them!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread