Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Gym
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Don't pollute your inner environment, wash your food!

I would guess that those individuals that are concerned about polluting their own bodies (inner environment) with harmful chemicals and pesticides are the same people that are concerned with polluting the environment - such as me.

Price is an issue; however, I have switched a couple years ago to only eating organic apples (since they are waxed and its difficult to remove the wax to get at the skin (although there are some methods available). I eat only organic potatoes, where I do often want to keep the skin for their flavor in various food applications. I also choose organic green onions which notorious for pesticide residue; regular onion varieties, tofu and miscellaneous items as they become available (from chicken boullion to tomato ketchup). Sometimes organic items are on sale, and I jump on those opportunities.

I look forward to the day that hand held pesticide detectors will be in common use and inexpensive.

This was inspired by another thread, but last post was too long ago to supplement.

I noticed that organic foods seem to be nurtured better in the growth process because they taste significantly better on average and more like something grown in the home garden and allowed to ripen further.

You can't trust any certification because stuff happens. I still wash what is washable and organic at least three times, I use a rather large stainless steel mixing bowl with a strainer that can be placed over the top to pour our the water. I agitate the vegetable in the water as it is filling, since the abrasion of the water is important in removing the residue. I have begun using one or two drops of dish soap in the first wash but don't let it sit. Just a very fast agitation and then going through the process with tap water about 4 to 6 times more with agitation. The soap clings to the pesticide and allows the pesiticide to be pulled off the food item by water. Pesticides are not significantly soluble in water, but they stick to organic matter (I was trained as a chemist). The soap is highly attracted to the water and will wash away. By the way, Costco has a dish detergent that is made from only natural ingredients, no phosphates, no artificial perfumes or dies, which I use as it is a better and more wholesome choice. Don't use foaming and oxidizing or antibacterial soaps.

If I have a tomato or peach, for example, I put a drop of soap on the surface, rub it over the skin and then continue rubbing the skin with the palm of my hand under a strong stream of tap water for about 30 to 40 seconds, washing both the hands and fruit at the same time. When doing grapes, I fill the stainless bowl with cold tap water, put a couple drops of soap in there and then repeatedly pull out and immerse the grapes into the water-soap solution and then rinse (I like using the spray attachment sinks normally have with the water pressure high for small items, like grapes, lettuce, etc.).

In my chemistry training we were told to wash glassware at least 3 times or more, since each time decreases the concentration of contaminants to a level of 10% the previous level, so two washes gets contaminants down to 1 part in 100 and three to 1 part in 1000. However, it assumes that draining is done completely each time and that any contaminants are soluble in the wash. With pesticides, this won't hold, since they are not soluble in water, so you need to add the small amount of soap (don't use any other type of soap, like laundry detergent!!)

Caveat: If you use this technique on greens, like lettuce and spinach, be very quick with the soap stage and don't soak, since the leafy item will soak up the contents of the wash if left to soak. I go through the washing stage and then let the leafy items soak in clean tap water for about 15 to 30 minutes as an added measure - it will also crisp them up.

If you are rinsing properly, you will not taste it in any way on your food, just like you don't taste it on your plates.

We also switched years ago to reverse osmosis water, to get absolutely pure water (to the atomic level, like distilled water); which we use for food items where we ingest much of the water used in the food preparation; such as, coffee, tea, drink mixes using water as a base, soups, etc. We get our minerals in the foods we eat and a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement. It's much better than getting it from most municipal water sources. Some grocery stores, particularly in the mountain areas or where water sources are not reliably clean, have Water Islands which dispense Osmosis water. Don't waste money on filter devices that simply filter by passing through some medium or material, they aren't that effective and can't get down to the atomic level of filtration.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2010, 07:59 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Yeah well, I drink too much whiskey to worry bacteria on my vegies or water.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

What kind of soap are you useing to wash veggies and fruits?

I've got a Berkey Light water purification system, very economical and it works great. Google: Berkey water filters and you can find out all about them, it's a gravity system with charcoal filters.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Jeez Louise, I thought that's what stomach acid was for!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 AM

State: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasercat View Post
I would guess that those individuals that are concerned about polluting their own bodies (inner environment) with harmful chemicals and pesticides are the same people that are concerned with polluting the environment - such as me.

Price is an issue; however, I have switched a couple years ago to only eating organic apples (since they are waxed and its difficult to remove the wax to get at the skin (although there are some methods available). I eat only organic potatoes, where I do often want to keep the skin for their flavor in various food applications. I also choose organic green onions which notorious for pesticide residue; regular onion varieties, tofu and miscellaneous items as they become available (from chicken boullion to tomato ketchup). Sometimes organic items are on sale, and I jump on those opportunities.

I look forward to the day that hand held pesticide detectors will be in common use and inexpensive.

This was inspired by another thread, but last post was too long ago to supplement.

I noticed that organic foods seem to be nurtured better in the growth process because they taste significantly better on average and more like something grown in the home garden and allowed to ripen further.

You can't trust any certification because stuff happens. I still wash what is washable and organic at least three times, I use a rather large stainless steel mixing bowl with a strainer that can be placed over the top to pour our the water. I agitate the vegetable in the water as it is filling, since the abrasion of the water is important in removing the residue. I have begun using one or two drops of dish soap in the first wash but don't let it sit. Just a very fast agitation and then going through the process with tap water about 4 to 6 times more with agitation. The soap clings to the pesticide and allows the pesiticide to be pulled off the food item by water. Pesticides are not significantly soluble in water, but they stick to organic matter (I was trained as a chemist). The soap is highly attracted to the water and will wash away. By the way, Costco has a dish detergent that is made from only natural ingredients, no phosphates, no artificial perfumes or dies, which I use as it is a better and more wholesome choice. Don't use foaming and oxidizing or antibacterial soaps.

If I have a tomato or peach, for example, I put a drop of soap on the surface, rub it over the skin and then continue rubbing the skin with the palm of my hand under a strong stream of tap water for about 30 to 40 seconds, washing both the hands and fruit at the same time. When doing grapes, I fill the stainless bowl with cold tap water, put a couple drops of soap in there and then repeatedly pull out and immerse the grapes into the water-soap solution and then rinse (I like using the spray attachment sinks normally have with the water pressure high for small items, like grapes, lettuce, etc.).

In my chemistry training we were told to wash glassware at least 3 times or more, since each time decreases the concentration of contaminants to a level of 10% the previous level, so two washes gets contaminants down to 1 part in 100 and three to 1 part in 1000. However, it assumes that draining is done completely each time and that any contaminants are soluble in the wash. With pesticides, this won't hold, since they are not soluble in water, so you need to add the small amount of soap (don't use any other type of soap, like laundry detergent!!)

Caveat: If you use this technique on greens, like lettuce and spinach, be very quick with the soap stage and don't soak, since the leafy item will soak up the contents of the wash if left to soak. I go through the washing stage and then let the leafy items soak in clean tap water for about 15 to 30 minutes as an added measure - it will also crisp them up.

If you are rinsing properly, you will not taste it in any way on your food, just like you don't taste it on your plates.

We also switched years ago to reverse osmosis water, to get absolutely pure water (to the atomic level, like distilled water); which we use for food items where we ingest much of the water used in the food preparation; such as, coffee, tea, drink mixes using water as a base, soups, etc. We get our minerals in the foods we eat and a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement. It's much better than getting it from most municipal water sources. Some grocery stores, particularly in the mountain areas or where water sources are not reliably clean, have Water Islands which dispense Osmosis water. Don't waste money on filter devices that simply filter by passing through some medium or material, they aren't that effective and can't get down to the atomic level of filtration.
I honestly think this is all very silly. Life expectancy in the U.S. is very high and people have been eating pesticide treated veggies and fruits since the year of the flood. And they still live to 80 and beyond. You are wasting time and money obsessing on this. Try not reading too much of the armageddonistic stuff that permeates the Internet. If you take any of it too seriously, you just might as well stay in bed because everything you eat, drink, breathe, and do is FATAL!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront boater View Post
What kind of soap are you useing to wash veggies and fruits?

I've got a Berkey Light water purification system, very economical and it works great. Google: Berkey water filters and you can find out all about them, it's a gravity system with charcoal filters.

The Kirkland signature environmentally friendly liquid dish soap. It's a plant based formula and should be one of the best dish soaps to use. Just a drop or two, and then rinse really well.

Gravity systems don't work well and they degrade in performance. You can look up reverse osmosis water purifiers that are both portable or that you attach to your plumbing.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc paolella View Post
I honestly think this is all very silly. Life expectancy in the U.S. is very high and people have been eating pesticide treated veggies and fruits since the year of the flood. And they still live to 80 and beyond. You are wasting time and money obsessing on this. Try not reading too much of the armageddonistic stuff that permeates the Internet. If you take any of it too seriously, you just might as well stay in bed because everything you eat, drink, breathe, and do is FATAL!
Well, know that you are in good company.

This is a sort of rationalization of the issue, to avoid it. The problem is each one of us experiences life individually. The quality of life here in the US after about 40 to 45 for most people really drops off quite quickly with ailments and those disabilities that will restrict your activities or even whether you can have sex. Having worked in medical laboratories for about 10 years and completed a bachelors program in the chemistry of the human body (biochemistry), it amazed me at how miserable many people are at a time they should be enjoying their lives more or retiring. Some just in their 30's are already showing the fruits of their personal neglect.

The average person puts a great deal of confidence in medical science; however, we know far less than the average person thinks we know about treating disease. A large portion of ailments don't even have a name yet, let alone a treatment.

For those that have a similar viewpoint to you, I simply explain that I'm not going out of my way or that I'm paranoid, it's just my way of valuing my life and nurturing it. It's just like buying a house plant, watering it, giving it plant food, giving it the right light, etc., or caring for a pet. Most people wouldn't go out to purchase a plant or a pet and then don't feed them, give them what they need to thrive. It just feels right to do it and it is a way of respecting and nurturing what is important.

It really isn't about living longer, it's about doing what one can to ensure one can enjoy life to the fullest as long as one is alive. Americans are some of the most unhealthy people on earth and kept alive with pharmaceuticals - not a quality of life you will want when it happens.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin the Airedale View Post
Jeez Louise, I thought that's what stomach acid was for!
Actually, whisky and acid may kill a few bacteria, but even those get into the stomach lining or pass into the intestinal tract; otherwise, salmonella or ecoli, etc, would never cause sickness.

These things have nothing to do with chemicals created in the lab that have nothing to do with benefiting the body. They are absorbed when eaten.

Most lay people that aren't science oriented think that life is full of thresholds and below a certain threshold, it won't hurt you; such as, the 5 second rule, "I can eat fast food 3 times a week, but that's OK", or one time, or just on Tuesdays, etc.", "I don't eat it that often, so it won't kill me" The fact is, it's not about thresholds, it's about probabilities.

Everything we do and don't do is part of the probability, no matter how miniscule. It isn't about being paranoid, it's just about not rationalizing away things. Everything matters. If you eat an entire cheese cake and then wash it down with a diet coke, the latter doesn't counteract the former. In fact, the latter provided no benefit to your body, except it probably increased your odds of getting cancer, due to the engineered sweetener. Exercise is not an antidote to a bad diet. Everything matters, stop rationalizing. This thing happens in your brain but it doesn't affect reality, or the reactions that occur on an atomic or molecular level.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 AM

I should say that I started this thread because I wanted to post to an existing thread but the system wouldn't allow it because it was too old; so I pasted my post to a new post. It was regarding the "dirty dozen" and I think Kennedy posted it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM

State: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasercat View Post
Well, know that you are in good company.

This is a sort of rationalization of the issue, to avoid it. The problem is each one of us experiences life individually. The quality of life here in the US after about 40 to 45 for most people really drops off quite quickly with ailments and those disabilities that will restrict your activities or even whether you can have sex. Having worked in medical laboratories for about 10 years and completed a bachelors program in the chemistry of the human body (biochemistry), it amazed me at how miserable many people are at a time they should be enjoying their lives more or retiring. Some just in their 30's are already showing the fruits of their personal neglect.

The average person puts a great deal of confidence in medical science; however, we know far less than the average person thinks we know about treating disease. A large portion of ailments don't even have a name yet, let alone a treatment.

For those that have a similar viewpoint to you, I simply explain that I'm not going out of my way or that I'm paranoid, it's just my way of valuing my life and nurturing it. It's just like buying a house plant, watering it, giving it plant food, giving it the right light, etc., or caring for a pet. Most people wouldn't go out to purchase a plant or a pet and then don't feed them, give them what they need to thrive. It just feels right to do it and it is a way of respecting and nurturing what is important.

It really isn't about living longer, it's about doing what one can to ensure one can enjoy life to the fullest as long as one is alive. Americans are some of the most unhealthy people on earth and kept alive with pharmaceuticals - not a quality of life you will want when it happens.
Be careful not to assume that because someone disagrees with you, they are rationalizing. It does not follow. You may simply be wrong. There is nothing wrong with pesticides, and a little pesticide residue in the blood and saliva is not a big deal. When studies appear that correlate that residue with a specific problem, and not a forecast or projection or hypothesis of a problem, it is then time to re-evaluate diet. The research from government funded studies concludes that while trace levels of pesticides can be found in the blood, there is no causal link to health impairment, and more studies need to be done. Fine. Well, until those studies are done, it is still a good decision to eat more fruits and vegetables, and it is NOT necessary to buy organic, and it is NOT necessary to triple and quadruple wash your produce. Too much time wasted on obsessing about your health is ITSELF unhealthy.

Medical science does not know everything, but it knows more than anyone else. So we go with it, as it statistically gives us the best chance of survival.

And how many times do you see people proselytizing about diet, almost as part of their politics, yet the fat rolls are coming over the belt and they could not bench press 1/2 their weight.

Americans need to exercise and weight train FAR MORE than they need to worry about pesticides in their strawberries.

First things first.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread