Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:59 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Just how in a flying nats rear end would you deal with this?

"Appr states property is waterfront but broker adv there is only a stream that runs thru the back. Appr states in report the county data suggests that the stream is enough to qualify property as water frontage. Appr to change report to reflect "Non- Water Front" property and submit "Non - Water Front" comps or he is to provide proof of the county data"

The property is rural acreage with a home three outbuildings and a barn, a 2-car garage and a 1800's school house that is being restored. The house has just gone renovation.

"county data suggests that he stream is enought to qualify property as water frontage" No where int he report did I state this. I did place information that stated the different kinds of water front and usage. That different water fronts calls for different lot/acreage adjustments for verious reasons. I did make those adjustments that were called for.

I also adjusted the comparable lots/acreage for the difference in value of the lots/acreage and water fronts as to that of the subject.

As the location map in the report indicates in the report a stream runs on the north side and east side of the property. The flood map (which is also a pricture) that is in the report indicates that the subject property is in a flood zone, shows the buildings and the location of the stream course and another picture in the report shows the stream to be less then 50 ft from the subject buildings. The stream is large and deep enough that people canoe accross the property. The stream is any where from 8 to 14 fee wide and at some points wider. There are fish in the stream. The stream is used by people for fishing. Stream flows into the Fox River and the flood zone effects are from the stream and the Fox River.

Last edited by Ray Miller : 10-10-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I would refer the reader to the photo addenda showing the type of water frontage. If this were insufficient, I would also provide an aerial view.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Were you comping it to houses on lakes? Short of that I can't imagine how their request makes any sense. How the county defines/assesses water frontage really doesn't have any bearing on your valuation, and I would point that out to the client, politely.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

"Stream" is not a specific term. It could applied to a river or a brook or a creek or many other names. Although not technically true, a "stream" sounds like a very small watercourse that may not flow year 'round and may not be navigable.

Does this watercourse have a name? Why don't you change the word to "creek" or refer to it by it's name?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative View Post
"Stream" is not a specific term. It could applied to a river or a brook or a creek or many other names. Although not technically true, a "stream" sounds like a very small watercourse that may not flow year 'round and may not be navigable.

Does this watercourse have a name? Why don't you change the word to "creek" or refer to it by it's name?
Guess I could refer to it by name, or I could call it a trout creek, instead of trout stream.

As far as navigable I covered this in the verbage. Yet I have two creeks on my ranch that are named/called creeks, yet one is year round and the other is dry about 50% of the time. Another that is call a stream and it runs year round in my what I would call a pond yet the state calls it a lake.

As far as the picture the flood map is an aerial photo and shows a nice stream, creek that flows into the river.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

One can pee a stream of water. Unless your body functions different than most of us, you could not pee a creek. Follow Greg's advice.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Miller View Post
Guess I could refer to it by name, or I could call it a trout creek, instead of trout stream.

As far as navigable I covered this in the verbage. Yet I have two creeks on my ranch that are named/called creeks, yet one is year round and the other is dry about 50% of the time. Another that is call a stream and it runs year round in my what I would call a pond yet the state calls it a lake.

As far as the picture the flood map is an aerial photo and shows a nice stream, creek that flows into the river.
If you have a named stream I think it is reasonable for someone reading the report to expect you to refer to it by name. I always name whatever creek I'm dealing with and explain a bit about what type of class it is (if it is a cold water trout stream). One would do that for a lake or river and I don't find it unreasonable at all to expect it with a stream/creek.

BTW - calling it a "stream" is absolutely fine when discussing it. Just be sure to label it "whatever creek" at some point where the reader can see it. In discussions, I always use stream after making a point of labeling it.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Boyd View Post
One can pee a stream of water. Unless your body functions different than most of us, you could not pee a creek. Follow Greg's advice.
This may be a geographical thing, but it is completely reasonable to refer to a trout stream as a trout stream or just a stream around here. As long as it is labeled properly at some point.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 AM

State: North Dakota

Does the market recognize different values for stream vs creek vs river vs lake? If so show this in an addendum, show the differences in value on bare land sales to solidify your adjustments.

Back when I was actively appraising I didn't call streams and creeks "waterfront", it may be different in Wisconsin.

Put an aerial photo of the site in the report and refer the reader to it. Give them a visual to see where and what the stream is in relation to the entire property.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM

State: Ohio

IMO, the term "waterfront property" would traditionally and generally be defined as one of the following:

1)Beachfront
2)Riverfront
3)Canal Front
4)Freshwater Lakefront

A "stream front" might be an interpretive stretch.

Just a thought.

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread