Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 PM

State: Maryland
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Interactive appraisals.

This may really be a little overboard but I've wondered about this ever since reviewers started reviewing appraisals electronically. I've wondered about the viability of hyperlinks placed in the actual appraisal report that would be connected to video taken at the property during the inspection. The hyperlinks could also be connected to other pertinent data about the report; ie., nearby sounds, views, activities? Or links to recent documents stored online about the subject neighborhood.

Would something like this help, hurt, or just provide more rope inwhich to hang the appraiser?

I guess it would be more like an appraisal presentation than a 2D document.

Crazy?

Dan

Old 10-10-2010, 06:25 PM

State: Washington

Years ago, when World Savings had it's appraisal department, a similar question came up. They encouraged us to send, as a separate file, videos of external obsolescence such as the 6 lane highway, airplane flying overhead, etc. I am not sure if anyone actually did this.

I think that this idea could lead to a robo appraiser. What is the definition of a physical inspection? Strap a web cams to the foreheads of runners. We could view and control 20 inspections from the comfort of the office
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtime View Post
This may really be a little overboard but I've wondered about this ever since reviewers started reviewing appraisals electronically. I've wondered about the viability of hyperlinks placed in the actual appraisal report that would be connected to video taken at the property during the inspection. The hyperlinks could also be connected to other pertinent data about the report; ie., nearby sounds, views, activities? Or links to recent documents stored online about the subject neighborhood.

Would something like this help, hurt, or just provide more rope inwhich to hang the appraiser?

Crazy?

Dan
Not crazy at all, it's a cool idea that I think CANative brought up some time back. Problem is, you have to make sure the link will be kept active for 5 years.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 PM

State: Arkansas

And then it becomes a stip......
Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 PM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Heyn View Post
Not crazy at all, it's a cool idea that I think CANative brought up some time back. Problem is, you have to make sure the link will be kept active for 5 years.
I just opened the experimental interactive report I was playing with a few years ago. All but one of the links still works but the information in some of the others has changed a bit.

I think you would have to make sure that the report stood on it's own with just the narrative and the links just augmented the summary.

I'd post the working copy but it's 1.7 mb which is too large for the forum. If anyone wants to play with it just PM me with your email address.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 PM

State: Colorado

Our company thought of recording our inspections on video a few years back. My partner recorded an inspection but the idea of implementing the concept into our reports never grew legs.

By the time folks in our profession allow fees to be driven down to $75 per report it will likely be a Fannie Reqirement. LOL (sort of)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey, Greg. 1.7mb is smaller than most of my reports. Can the links be set up to work right out of a PDF?

Dan
Old 10-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Jay - I usually do a little video during my inspections just to fill in my memory or in case any still shots don't come out well. Sometimes I clip a little stick cam to my belt too. Interesting stuff.

Dan
Old 10-11-2010, 12:24 AM

State: Michigan

So how do you handle the 5 year workfile requirement, given the typically fragile nature of hyperlinks??
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtime View Post

Crazy?

Dan
Now it is just one more thing that they will REQUIRE without paying for....
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread