Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM

State: Massachusetts
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Staff Appraiser

Does anyone out there work as a staff appraiser? I was recently approached by a company looking to add a staff appraiser.

I currently do 99% of my work as a subcontractor with a pretty fair split. But the possibility of 401k, flex medical account, paid MLS, paid vacation and some other minor perks sounds good. The selling point for me was that they pay 7.6% social security which, when added to the split they pay comes pretty close to my current split.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I am staff for a community bank. I only review, does get boring at times, but it is a good fit for me.
The loss of your time management is about the only negative, in my opinion.
It is an ok trade for full-time with benefits, I have a liberal vacation policy and bank holiday's are good.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 PM

State: Texas

I was a national bank appraiser, then reviewer, then appraiser for 4 different banks over the first 19 years; then a staff reviewer for a mortgage firm; then a 4 man firm; and now on my own. I miss the salary, paid vacation, lack of bookwork, paying for E & O, my own gas, my own wear and tear on the personal car; etc.

But, playing golf and taking vacation whenever is out with a firm. That's what I like about my own company.

Not many staff bank appraisers left although there are a few.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM

State: Massachusetts

If you're doing a fee split now, than maybe but probably not. If you're getting a full fee, than no, don't do it.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 PM

State: California

$20 co-pay for a dental crown on a group policy sure beats $1,100 co-pay for a private policy with a premium of $400 - $500 per month.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 AM

State: Minnesota

Try brushing
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentialguy View Post
Try brushing
That's harsh, and at the same time incomplete - flossing is also highly recommended.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I was a staff at World Savings long ago, which was a wonderful gig, lots of good training, bennies, and they treated their appraisers like kings. But I don't think staff jobs like that exist any more. Most staff jobs now seem like a backdoor rather than actually caring about their collateral
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I have a sever allergy to florescent lighting that is so common in cubicles.
Have been through many ups and downs as a fee appraiser/consultant, and I just don't know if I can tolerate a W9 lifestyle making less than I do on my own. Although, I was a contract appraiser for World back in the day and they truly were a fantastic bank to have as an client or employer. If I had to take a W9 job, it would have to be like them. Respect and appreciation from an employer goes a long way, pretty rare to see in todays corporate climate.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLabs View Post
Does anyone out there work as a staff appraiser? I was recently approached by a company looking to add a staff appraiser.

I currently do 99% of my work as a subcontractor with a pretty fair split. But the possibility of 401k, flex medical account, paid MLS, paid vacation and some other minor perks sounds good. The selling point for me was that they pay 7.6% social security which, when added to the split they pay comes pretty close to my current split.

Thanks.
I don't think it is a bad move depending on who you are going to work for. If it is a bank, I say jump at it. I know alot of appraisers who are happy with their bank jobs, especially if it is a local or small regional bank. If it is for one of the appraiser mills or AMC's out there I would not even consider it. Stay away from the Forsythe's, TSI's, and William Fall Groups of the world.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread