Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Right of Way Appraiser's for the State

I am wondering if anyone is a right of way appraiser for the state? I was recently asked to consider a job for the state as a right of way appraiser. I currently work as a subcontractor with a fair fee split. However, with lower fees and AMC's it makes me consider an alternative like a steady pay check with benefits and paid vacation time. Anyway just curious if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

If the job was in New Jersey I'd apply.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

At one time it was a way to enter and learn the business simultaneously, now it may be an ever better way considering the economy, the RE market, etc., the state benefits would also be a plus. I know 3 appraisers who started doing ROW work with the state and later went private. There are probably some in here who will read this thread who also worked for the state. Maybe they will chime in.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM

State: Maryland

It is a different kind of work that can be very challenging. It involves eminent domain acquisitions, but you already know that. Property owners often are not too happy to deal with you and you can wind up in court. I've worked on right of way acquisitions for highways, sidewalks, utility lines, etc. My Dad was a reviewer for the state for decades so I kind of grew up around it. In fact the experience I had initially in 1992/1993 to get my license was mostly this kind of work. (I don't think the people reviewing my work log then for my hours of experience really knew how many hours to give for each job since the jobs varied so much. They didn't question the hours I claimed.)

Dan
Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

You are listed as a licensed appraiser here. The job you are being offered most likely will be working under a CG appraiser and most likely a very good one. Giving up the independence of self employment is something I would not like but for you I think it could be a very good career move and the learning experience could be great.

I have done eminent domain work for both sides and it was enjoyable.

If I were in your position, had your license level, and was working for split fees of AMC fees I would jump at the job. I think you would regret not taking the opportunity and I think it could be a very rewarding career.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM

State: Indiana

I agree with Michigan CG.
You will most likely be mentoring under a CG appraiser, which can be invaluable.
Secondarily, you will learn how to value land, which is the backbone in the valuation of real estate. Back in early 2000, I worked as a Level II Certified Assessor-Appraiser. I also had my CR license, Assessor license and have a Real Estate Salesperson license. Therefore, if I showed up at a house as a Realtor, the owner would say the house was worth a $$$, as an appraiser, the owner would tell me that the same house should be worth $$$ and if I showed up as an assessor, the house was worthless. That was both amusing and frustrating. Along with the learning experience, you will network with real estate professionals and gain valuable appraising experience and have benefits and vacation time, which have value. With the uncertainty in the real estate market and the ups and downs of fee appraising, I highly recommend that you consider the position.
Good luck and best wishes.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 PM

State: North Dakota
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I'm working in the private sector in ROW Acquisitions and Appraisal. After 32 years beating my forehead flat, it's amazing what a steady paycheck, health, dental, and vision insurance, ownership in the company, and a retirement plan does for ones perspective of life.

My forehead is beginning to return to its previous look!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread