Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > The Gym
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: General Public
Default A question about kids eating candy .

..... I have my kid in a private school .....

... most of the teachers are fat ....

..... I have tried and tried to tell them notto give her candy .....

..... as far as I can tell ... she is getting two tootsie rolls a day ... and then maybe a cookie or two ...

..... is this too much sugar?

... I had this child on no sugar for a couple of years .... now she is 4 ......

.... and the sugar zombies just run everything .......
Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 AM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Sweets have traditionally been used to reward or show someone that you care about them. It's a tradition that needs to go the way of the dinosaur because we're teaching our children habits that might one day be the death of them.

In your case it's a matter of the the teachers defying specific dietary request that you've made. I'd be proactive and all over the administration about TEACHING and PRACTICING good nutritional habits. Count on them being offended, but if they truly care about the kids then they'll want to do what is right.

Here's a website that might be helpful in your fight:

http://www.actionforhealthykids.org/

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Candy and cokes are not allowed in our schools, they are given ripe fruits in the lunch room to qualm any sweet tooth. For reward it's things like goofy looking erasers, Silly Bands are big too. However, we have a VERY active PTO, most parents are career professionals and greatly respect the teachers who are among the top paid in the state. Even with this, there are a few teachers and kids who are obese... I mean they couldn't fit side by side even in a Super Walmart isle. They stand out in the crowd of normal kids, so I know that they know. But their parents are exactly the same way, so there's little hope that 1 hour of PE ever week will teach them anything.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 AM

State: Washington

Those darn private schools...no accountability

Seriously though, I doubt that 2 tootsie rolls a day, unless they are the logs, is going to make a difference. What is more important is what you do at home.

I have never understood the idea that sugar, salt or some other item needs to be totally eliminated. Balance and minimization seem to me to be a better way to go. In the real world, they will be exposed to it as you are seeing.

Too often I have seen kids eat cookies or candy at a party and go nuts. Usually it is the kids with parents who forbid the item and the body does not know how to handle it and freaks out. Then all the parents freak out....oohh it is the nasty sugar...no, it is the body reacting to something it is not used to dealing with.

Its similar to the sterile environment, mental and physical, that many parents try to create. If you are not exposed to bacteria and viruses, then your body cannot build defenses. This is the same for the brain and emotions.

Anything in excess is bad for the body and spirit. Balance is good.

That said, I would be troubled by a teacher who would not respect my wishes for my child's diet. If they would not listen, the principal would be getting a visit. If that did not work, the superintendent.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 AM

State: California

Provide them with your own healthy treats for them to give as a reward.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Don't ruin her school experience over a little sugar. If all the other kids get cookie and a tootsie roll then getting singled out would cause a lot more long lasting emotional harm than any physical harm from a little sugar.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Real Estate Agent or Broker

Two tootsie rolls and possibly 2 cookies per day per 4 year old?

Ok, if a parent decides to do it... but not for a teacher to decide.

It's like spanking a child...not everybody approves of it, but it's ok for a parent to do it, if done with love and care....but don't let me catch someone else spanking my child.

The teachers need to be spanked by the headmaster.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM

A Chips Ahoy cookie has about 3.5 grams of sugar. So two cookies is about 7 grams of sugar. A tootsie roll "midgee" has about 4.5 grams of sugar. So that's 9 grams for two of them.

Two cookies and two Tootsie Rolls would be about 16 grams of sugar.

One medium apple has 23 grams of sugar.

To the body, sugar is sugar is sugar.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. Stevenson View Post
..... I have my kid in a private school .....

... most of the teachers are fat ....

..... I have tried and tried to tell them notto give her candy .....

..... as far as I can tell ... she is getting two tootsie rolls a day ... and then maybe a cookie or two ...

..... is this too much sugar?

... I had this child on no sugar for a couple of years .... now she is 4 ......

.... and the sugar zombies just run everything .......
I think too much fuss is made about sugar itself, but it is likely due to the typical context or delivery system for sugar - which now generally tends to be a total negative. Surely, sugar in excess can make kids hyper, followed by a sugar crash which makes them less able to concentrate and sit still, etc. Sugar can be a sensible component of a treat, but a tootsie roll is just junk food, it has no merits besides its flavor.

There are some very healthful cookies that are nutritious and that a child would love too (just don't tell them they are). If I was in your situation, I would try to re-direct the issue with the teacher by first acknowledging the merit of giving a reward to her child for reinforcement (pat the teacher on the back first), then explain your concerns followed by trying to come to an agreement as to what will be used for a reward, a brand and type of cookie treat or biscotti, dried fruit and nuts (gorp?), a raw broccoli crown (skip that). You could even offer to purchase them yourself.

I would guess that a teacher is looking for something relatively inexpensive, easily delivered and handled by the student at their desk.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM

An active 4 year old with a rapidly growing brain will burn off a few cookies worth of sugar in a couple of hours.

And I don't think it's sugar that makes kids hyper when they eat sweets. It's the joy of the treat that makes them excited and happy.

Just don't give them too much because for the most part it IS empty calories and it takes the fun out of getting a treat.

In the old days getting a Coke or some Kool Aid was an once in a while treat that we savored. Now you can buy it in barrel size cups at the gas station or get endless refills at fast food places. Sugared drinks are what everyone should be watching out for. You can drink a weeks worth of calories in a few minutes.

Closed Thread